PDA

View Full Version : Broncos will prepare for Reality but Will the Fans?

BroncosRockdaRockies
09-24-2008, 07:54 AM
There have been alot of people on here who think the game at KC is just another automatic win for the Broncos this year! Talks about Mile High Magic on the boards lately! Is it possible that their is a certain kind of Magic in Arrowhead Stadium?

Though the Denver Broncos have only beaten the Chiefs fourteen times since 1960 when playing at Kansas City or Dallas(when the Chiefs were known as the Dallas Texans), I found it harder than I thought to select a game to relive. In a place that has been more foreboding to the Broncos than any Raider venue, it really comes down to importance. What was the most important win at the Kansas City Chiefs?

Read more

John Elway #7
4 Jan 1998: Quarterback John Elway #7 of the Denver Broncos in action during an AFC Division Playoff game against the Kansas City Chiefs at the Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. The Broncos defeated the Chiefs 14-10.

The answer has to be the only playoff match up between these two teams that has ever taken place. The year, 1997. The game, AFC Division Playoffs. Arrowhead Stadium. The rowdy crowd hungry for some orange and blue blood. Most of the nation had written the Broncos off late in the year after a late season collapse and controversial spitting incidents. What the mainstream didn't know was that there was no turmoil in Denver and after dispatching a late comeback attempt by the Jaguars the week before to finish with a dominating 4th quarter that sealed the victory the Broncos came to Kansas City with their own plans.

Arrowhead Stadium has always been the toughest place for the Broncos to play, especially late in the season. The 1997 AFC Divisional Playoff game was no different. The winner of this game was destined for greatness. Many expected a high scoring affair as both teams were considered offensive powerhouses, however, getting to the AFC Championship Game was going to take pure power and stout defense. Nothing was going to be given away freely.

Both teams were blanked in the first quarter as the game quickly turned into a slug fest. The Broncos started to put a drive together late in the second quarter and with just under two minutes left in the half Terrell Davis gutted it out for a one yard touchdown run to put Denver up 7-0.

After halftime the Chiefs were able to make some good adjustments to explode in the third quarter on two drives which netted ten points. Throughout the history of this rivalry, a 10-7 disadvantage going into the fourth quarter late in the year would have been mostly impossible to overcome. The 1997 Broncos were different; they were being carried by the wings of destiny. The Broncos finally got something going and Terrell Davis scored early in the fourth quarter to put the Broncos up 14-10. The stage was set for an incredible finish.

Elvis Grbac and the Chiefs came on strong near the end of the game, but the Broncos defense stiffened in the red zone. With 19 seconds left, a seemingly confused Chiefs offense hurried the 4th down play which result in an incomplete pass to Lake Dawson in the end zone. The Broncos sealed their first victory since 1994 and advanced to the AFC Championship game for the first time in seven years.

Runner Ups:

10/06/1974 - Broncos 17, Chiefs 14

The Broncos erase a 14-3 halftime deficit to win their first ever road game against the hated Chiefs.

9/24/1978 - Broncos 23, Chiefs 17 OT

In overtime, the Broncos run the ball an amazing twelve times during a thirteen play, sixty yard drive to win it on a touchdown.

11/12/1989 - Broncos 16, Chiefs 13

John Elway tosses a shovel pass to Steve Sewell that goes for thirty yards, setting up David Treadwell's winning kick. It would be Elway's first comeback victory at Arrowhead Stadium.

12/4/1994 - Broncos 20, Chiefs 17 OT

Backup QB, Hugh Millen, leads the Broncos to an unlikely victory over the Chiefs. Millen led the team to a late touchdown to send the game into overtime where Jason Elam was able to drill the game winner.

10/20/2002 - Broncos 37, Chiefs 34

With the Broncos down 34-20 late in the game, Brian Griese led the Broncos to fourteen unanswered points to send the game into overtime where Jason Elam would kick the game winner from twenty five yards out.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/9/24/618354/denver-broncos-kansas-city

:salute: GOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!!!!!!

Zanzzabar
09-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Is it just me or is everyone forgetting last years start? If I remember correctly there were a couple of games that could have been losses that were won at the last second, this pumped up the record (and the fans) then the bottom fell out.:eek:

I don't know of a Bronco fan that is ever confortable when the team goes to Arrowhead and this team doesn't inspire flat out confidence, not yet anyway. There isn't a road game on the current schedule that is a 'gimme', not for the Broncos.

BroncosRockdaRockies
09-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Is it just me or is everyone forgetting last years start? If I remember correctly there were a couple of games that could have been losses that were won at the last second, this pumped up the record (and the fans) then the bottom fell out.:eek:

I don't know of a Bronco fan that is ever confortable when the team goes to Arrowhead and this team doesn't inspire flat out confidence, not yet anyway. There isn't a road game on the current schedule that is a 'gimme', not for the Broncos.

I agree a 100%!!! But there are those who think this Offense is Unstoppable!

Legendary30
09-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Last year or the past 46 years don't matter now. Yes Arrowhead has been a tough place to play over the years, but if the Raiders can go in there and win 2 weeks ago, why wouldn't the Broncos be able to do the same??

BroncosRockdaRockies
09-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Last year or the past 46 years don't matter now. Yes Arrowhead has been a tough place to play over the years, but if the Raiders can go in there and win 2 weeks ago, why wouldn't the Broncos be able to do the same??

I am not saying we arent going to win. I am saying don't mark it on the Win column just yet. I love this team this year and do expect great things from them in the future, but again reality is they are a Divisional rivalry, and we are going into Arrowhead it is a very tough place to play.

Legendary30
09-24-2008, 08:35 AM
I am not saying we arent going to win. I am saying don't mark it on the Win column just yet. I love this team this year and do expect great things from them in the future, but again reality is they are a Divisional rivalry, and we are going into Arrowhead it is a very tough place to play.

Of course not. This is the NFL where the patriots just got waxed by the dolphins. Anything can happen. A win vs Denver could ignite the chiefs season. If they start 0-4 they could fold for the season.

The Broncos need another statement game like they had against Oakland. A close game or a loss against the Chiefs would have alot of people questioning how good they are.

PowderAddict
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Not even Ed Hochuli could win this game for the Chefs!!

RedRaptor
09-24-2008, 08:40 AM
:cheers: I watched them kick their butts in Arrowhead firsthand last year!

sniperwolf
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
mmmmmmmmm............. i dont think that the Chiefs have a change to defeat us...
well... i dont know
surtain is out, huard is not a top 20.
our Offense is very good...

i dont think that.

Shutdown
09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Of course not. This is the NFL where the patriots just got waxed by the dolphins. Anything can happen. A win vs Denver could ignite the chiefs season. If they start 0-4 they could fold for the season.

The Broncos need another statement game like they had against Oakland. A close game or a loss against the Chiefs would have alot of people questioning how good they are.

I agree completely. We need to win this one, convincingly. In a way that says the Chiefs didn't have a chance. But I also agree that anything can happen, any Sunday. That's what's great about the NFL. You get crazy games. ESPECIALLY games being played by divisional rivals...those ones tend to go all over the place.

rst08tierney
09-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Lets try and Hype this game some more!!!!!!!

THE CHIEFS ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL

Its not 1972, its not 1998, its not 2002. The Chiefs are in MAJOR transition and this is 2008

Did anyone even watch last years game at ArrowHead Stadium? There were more bronco fans their then Chief fans. After the game their own media called it "INVESCO EAST".

Times have changed, the Chiefs are rebuilding and everyone knows that. I would say the raiders are a much better team then KC at this point. The Chiefs are a non contender this year and will be bottom dwellers in the division for the next 2-3 years.

People will say this statement is going out on a limb, but if last years broncos could sweep KC, this years team can do the same by putting up huge numbers. "the broncos will sweep the chiefs this year by MORE then 14 points each game"

Bronco_Hyde
09-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Arrowhead is a tough place to play WHEN THEY HAVE KC FANS THERE. Unfortunately for them, there will be more Orange and Blue in the seats than there is red. KC fans have given up on their team, and only the most diluted harbor any hope whatsoever of pulling out a win.

While I will admit that anything is possible, and strange things happen occasionally, I would like to point out that upsets of this magnitude are still an extreme rarity, and it is illogical to be overly concerned but such a remote possibility.

Yes, the team will be preparing as if it's a tough game, but that is them. As long as they are doing their jobs, we fans have no responsibility to act as though it will be a tough game. It won't be.

For those of you who are still being cautious, if you had to bet your life savings on one team or the other, with no point spread, who would you bet on? Exactly. It's in the bag. And if we lose, feel free to come after me for jinxing it. I'm not worried.

Tatortot
09-24-2008, 11:08 AM
The way the Chiefs could make this game close is to utilize their running backs, especially Larry Johnson, not only in the running game but also in the passing game. This will allow them to control the tempo of the game and could force Cutler to become impatient, making him force a few. I have a feeling that the game will be closer than expected in the first half and then turn into a decisive route in the 2nd half.

BroncoKing
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Let us be grateful it is not november/december. We have a hell of a time playing there during those months then other months.

Trench777
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Ok, first off, reality is vastly overrated & is only for people who cant handle thier drugs.

Secondly, to compare this years Broncos with last years, is like comparing my wifes cooking with real food. For that matter, comparing the Squaws with a real football team, is like comparing fish to cigar smoke (a totally random comparison. My mind is like a Mad Lib without the humor)

T777

P.S. I'm glad my wife doesnt visit this forum, or I'd have to make my dog taste test my food for the next several months.

cutlerfan
09-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Lets try and Hype this game some more!!!!!!!

THE CHIEFS ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL

Like Jay and Shanny said. ANY NFL team can win on Sunday!!

Easy there. We can never overlook anyone!!

PowderAddict
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
There are NO teams in the NFL that can be overlooked.

Except the Chefs.

I'll bet Shanahan & Co are already working on their Tampa Bay gameplan :P

rainmaker
09-24-2008, 12:47 PM

As Spanky says, AAAND HOOOW!

We need to manhandle the Chiefs to solidify our place as a team to beat in the AFC. Both SD and NO have high powered offenses and the Defense got a "out of jail free" Card from me because of that.

If the Chiefs can hang with us the Defense goes directly to jail and doesn't pass go and doesn't collect 200 (million):goofy: dollars

getlynched47
09-24-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll bet Shanahan & Co are already working on their Tampa Bay gameplan :P

:laugh:

Hey isn't Cutler undefeated when he plays against the Chiefs??? He'll be adding to that personal stat after Sunday :salute:

broncolee
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Why wouldn't Bronco fans be excited about the prospect of beating the Chiefs to the point where it seems like they view the game as a gimme? The Chiefs are sucking right now. The Broncos are likely to win. They could lose, but chances are they are going to win. Isn't part of the fun of being a fan anticipating a victory? Is it not even more fun to anticipate a victory against a division rival?