PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Contact Lens Wearers!

Kapaibro
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Major drug chains pull ReNu lens solution
Bausch & Lomb's product linked to eye infection in contact wearers

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 7:25 p.m. ET April 12, 2006
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - Walgreen Co., the largest U.S. drugstore chain, told its stores Wednesday to pull all ReNu products from its shelves, not just the MoistureLoc product that has come under fire, a spokesman said.

The eye-product maker Bausch & Lomb, which also makes contact lenses, ophthalmic drugs and vision-correction surgical instruments, halted U.S. shipments of its ReNu with MoistureLoc contact lens solution Monday night while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigates 109 reports of infection caused by a fungus called Fusarium in patients in 17 states.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world’s largest retailer, stopped selling ReNu with MoistureLoc “pending further test results from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” the company said in a statement. Wal-Mart said it would still sell other Bausch & Lomb ReNu products unaffected by the CDC investigation.

Supervalu Inc., which runs supermarkets such as Save-A-Lot and distributes products to other retailers, also said it would pull MoistureLoc products from its stores and distribution network pending the investigation.

Rite Aid Corp., the No. 3 U.S. drugstore chain, is also removing MoistureLoc products but continuing to sell other products in the ReNu line, a spokeswoman said.

“There’s a lot of customer confusion out there, which is why we decided to remove the entire ReNu line,” the Walgreen spokesman said. He said that Walgreen is continuing to sell other Bausch & Lomb products.

The source of a spike in dangerous fungal eye infections linked to the contact lens solution remains a mystery, Bausch & Lomb Inc. said Wednesday.

“As far as speculation about theories, there’s a lot of them, we’ve run a lot of them to ground and come up with nothing,” the company’s chief executive, Ron Zarella, said in a conference call with analysts.

“Every additional test we’ve run suggests that the formulation is as safe and effective as anything on the market and in particular with regard to Fusarium.”

The FDA has made no direct link between ReNu and the infections, traced back to June 2005, but a high incidence of the affected people had used the solution.

Blurry vision, pain
Fusarium is commonly found in plant material and soil in tropical and subtropical regions. Without eye-drop treatment, which can last two to three months, the infection can scar the cornea and blind its victims.

Symptoms can include blurry vision, pain or redness, increased sensitivity to light and excessive discharge from the eye. It is not transmitted from person to person.

In February, Bausch & Lomb stopped shipments of ReNu in Singapore and Hong Kong after a similar spike in fungal infections was reported in contact-lens wearers there. It is partnering with health authorities and researchers to investigate the extent and cause of the outbreak, which also surfaced in Malaysia.

More than 30 million Americans wear contact lenses, and the ReNu brand generated $45 million in U.S. sales last year.[/COLOR]

Yoikes! I used to use this brand when I had contacts!

JWinn
04-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Sent this on to those I know who wear contacts, Kappy. Thanks!

Reidman
04-12-2006, 10:57 PM
:eek:

Wow, I wear contact lenses and I use Renu "no rub" solution.

Thanks for the info kap, think I'll stop using that for a while....although I can't report any problems with my eyes but better safe than sorry....

Kapaibro
04-12-2006, 11:01 PM
:eek:

Wow, I wear contact lenses and I use Renu "no rub" solution.

Thanks for the info kap, think I'll stop using that for a while....although I can't report any problems with my eyes but better safe than sorry....
Kap's public Health Service!

Nightwing
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
I use Renu as well, it does irritate my eyes in the morning but I didn't think anything of it. Won't be using that brand anymore

Jared
04-12-2006, 11:43 PM
:jawdrop:

And I was just looking into getting contacts.

I didn't realize any potential for infection was there. I assumed it was a sterile solution because it killed bacteria. I guess I was wroong.

SM19
04-12-2006, 11:58 PM
I tossed my solution today and picked up another brand. It simply won't do for me to be going blind.

TD Machine
04-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Im using the ReNu no-rub... Is that the same one?

I better go change them but I think this latest bottle will be OK, hopefully.

The Dark Knight
04-13-2006, 02:45 AM

I didn't realize any potential for infection was there. I assumed it was a sterile solution because it killed bacteria. I guess I was wroong.

It's mostly just sodium chloride. Bacteria can live in sodium chloride fairly easily.

orangenblue420
04-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I tend to swtich brands dependent upon price but renew was one of the first no rubs so i tend to buy that more than anything - there have been several occassions my eyes water constantly and have always attributed it to allergies (another thing i love about oklahoma :mad: ) but now that i think back i havent had eye problems for a while and right now I am using a different brand - hmmm

Thanks so much kapi - i havent even heard about this

So is it the fusurium that makes it bad? Cause I want to check all my bottles now and make sure no other brand has that ingredient

Snk16
04-13-2006, 03:48 PM

It seems to only be this kind of brand.

Kapaibro
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Here's the story link from MSNBC

Link (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12256982/)

and Bausch & Lomb's homepage

B & L (http://www.bausch.com/)

B & L are a huge manufacturer of contact lens accessories, contacts, and eyecare products!

Kapaibro
04-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Flood of ReNu Vision Loss Victims: Lawyer Takes Cases On Contingency
In the first few days since the news broke, Weitz & Luxenberg has been flooded with dozens of people reporting vision loss from fungal infections associated with ReNu MoistureLoc.

These individuals have been seeking a ReNu lawyer because they have suffered through infections and loss of sight.

"Not one medical person I was treating with had heard about the fungal keratitis even after the news broke out of the infection."

"[I had] redness, pain, eye loss in three month, light sensibility."

"After using the product 6 years, I had severe sensitivity to light, clear discharge. redness swelling and much discomfort."

"I needed a corneal transplant as a result of the fungus, when attempts to kill the infection failed."

Weitz & Luxenberg is taking ReNu cases on a contingency basis, that is, you don't pay until your case ends successfully.

The firm is already taking dozens of cases.

The firm just successfully secured a $13.5 Million verdict in the second win against Merck in the Vioxx lawsuits.

How to contact law firm (http://www.weitzlux.com/renu/lawyerinvestigates_402831.html)