• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Hamburgler
    Nuff Said
    • May 2006

First Round Draft Choice

Do we draft a safety, a DL, or a RB in the first round. Please say who got drafted too.
    RB
    17.39%
    S
    23.91%
    DL
    58.70%
    sigpic
  • Nick
    <- Ready for the salute
    • Mar 2006

Even though I do not want in first maybe make a option for WR or other

Comment

• TU_HurricaneDB
      Bench Warmer
      • Feb 2006

We NEED all three. I voted for DL but if Marshawn Lynch falls to us I would take him over all others.

If we dont get him I say we take LaMarr Woodley or LaRon Landry (he wont fall that far). Those are the only people I would want in the first Rd otherwise I say we trade out and get more picks.

Comment

• lancane
        Step Up or Shut Up!
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB
        We NEED all three. I voted for DL but if Marshawn Lynch falls to us I would take him over all others.

If we dont get him I say we take LaMarr Woodley or LaRon Landry (he wont fall that far). Those are the only people I would want in the first Rd otherwise I say we trade out and get more picks.
        I do not believe Marshawn will fall, I am almost certain that Shanahan will trade to get him. I think two Broncos may be headed to the Texans, along with extra picks for the move...to nab him before Green Bay or anyone else gets the chance to.

Comment

• ClaptonFloyd
          Practice Squad
          • Jul 2006

I say a good safety unless we can somehow get one of those top RBs.
          I adopted Matt Lepsis!

Comment

• CB Bronco Fan
            Nuff Said
            • May 2006

I say Reggie Nelson
            sigpic

Comment

• tommy1986
              Banned User
              • Nov 2004

We should draft this guy:

Comment

• Cloud13
                Practice Squad
                • Oct 2005

I think we should draft a safety to mentor under John Lynch. I like John Wendling(Wyoming), Michael Griffin(Texas), and Eric Weddle from Utah seemed pretty good in their bowl game.

Comment

• CB Bronco Fan
                  Nuff Said
                  • May 2006

I think we should draft Reggie Nelson in the First and Jarvis Moss in the second. Both are really good players.
                  sigpic

Comment

• HORSEPOWER 56
                    Offensively Defensive...
                    • Oct 2004

To answer this question, you have to think like Mike Shanahan. First of all, Mike is an offensive guru who addresses the defense as an afterthought. He doesn't think the D-line is a problem as evidenced by waiting until the 4th round to take Dumervil and him being the only D-lineman taken even after our D-line last year was pathetic. They have been more productive this year (getting sacks) and Shanny won't even look in this direction before the 4th round, again.

So, DL in the first is a pipe dream while Shanny is the coach. I do see us pursuing Simeon Rice in FA, though.

Taking a Safety in the first round is almost like taking a guard, TE, or a kicker. The guy has to be not just one of the proven best safeties, but he has to be an ELITE FOOTBALL PLAYER. He has to be someone so dominant that he is a GAME CHANGER.

Seeing as how most Safeties are just guys who are too slow to play CB, don't throw well enough or are too small to be a QB, or are too small to play LB, Safety is just not a premier "skill" position. There are maybe 4-5 active Safeties in this league that really merit a 1st round grade (in other words, I'd give up a first rounder for them and that's already knowing what they can do as a pro). Take a look at guys like Donte Whitner and Michael Huff. Are they dominant? Are they game changers? Hardly.

Safety is a position that you take a gamble on in the first round if you have NO OTHER PRESSING NEEDS! It's just not a position that can take over a game like some others, IMO. Go after Michael Lewis as a FA, it would be a nice home-coming for him.

At last we come to RB. After all but eliminating the options of DL and Safety for Shanny I think RB may be the position to look at this year. We have Mike and Tatum, but this is one of our lowest production years in rushing in the Shanny era not due to injuries. Shanny knows this.

An elite RB is a weapon like no other. Tell me that teams like San Diego or KC would be anywhere close to where they are without their RBs. If you get a shot at a potential "elite RB" you have to take it. Continuing to rely on guys that really are back-up caliber on most teams will just put more pressure on Cutler and the passing game in the future. I support Mike and Tatum, but I'm no fool. I realize neither will ever be "dominant".

Granted, not all draft picks work out, but if you have a shot at, potentially, the next LT...do you dare to give it up? With the exception of QB, no other position means as much, especially in an offense like ours where the running game is relied apon so heavily. Can you imagine the effect an elite back would have on our offense? Give Cutler and Walker a guy that opposing defenses have to stack the box against on every play and watch the passing yards pile up.

Above all, I think if we have a shot at a top RB this year, we have to pull the trigger. I think we need an elite pass rusher more, but I realize that we won't be in a great position to get one and even if we were, Shanny wouldn't do it anyway. If a guy like Marshawn Lynch falls into our lap you have to take him.

Comment

• Lorcust
                      The One and Only...
                      • Jul 2006

If I had it my way:

1st Round: Best DE available

2nd Round: (package a trade with one of our potential tradees, Jake, Foster, I don't know, someone, and move up into the earlly second and select a safety. I'd go for Michael Griffin if availble)

3rd Round: Big DT, maybe Marcus Thomas. Attitude yes, and we know Clarett yes, but Clarett was a ****ing fruitloop. I think we'll be safe with Thomas.

If we got that, my draft would be set, and my day would be made.
                      sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                      Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

• stnzed
                        Banned User
                        • Oct 2005

Just as long as he doesn't draft a f'ing guard!

DE's and DT's..........Lots of them!

Let Shanahan ignore (Like he has the need for D-line) some of the other needs for a change!

Comment

• Nick
                          <- Ready for the salute
                          • Mar 2006

with the quality of first round talent this coming draft... I would like the Broncos to get the BPA and whom drops.

There is a chance one of the high profile OL DL RB S WR all drop and we could deeply benifet with any of them.

There is still a lot of great players that could make more people fall if they declare like Brohm, Manningham, Brennenan, Bush (don't forget about this guy, he is going under mock drafts radars do to injury. Which this injury actually heals your bone stronger. He was one of the Heisman hopefulls at the beggining of the year)

Do to the depth at WR and RB in the draft and the history of the broncos drafting a RB earlly... I do not see them getting a back in the 1st. Not even lynch.

As far as Saftey goes there really is only 2-3 first round talents at Saftey and should make them get picked earllier then they should like prev. drafts.

I think most teams are going to also snatch up on alot of the OL talent which could leave us with a very quality DE or DT (could be Vice versa)

If what of the superior CB's drop I would like Shanny to snatch one up.

So I Voted for Saftey but would like BPA do to us needed a player in multiple areas

Comment

• lord_helmet
                            Practice Squad
                            • May 2006

Also voted for Safety, I also prefer Reggie Nelson. He's the complete package, can't go wrong with either of the top prospects tho
                            Eric Weddle S Utah

Comment

• CB Bronco Fan
                              Nuff Said
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by lord_helmet
                              Also voted for Safety, I also prefer Reggie Nelson. He's the complete package, can't go wrong with either of the top prospects tho
                              Do you know reggies 40 time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X