MVP: Peyton Manning Vs Tom Brady? How about no.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoserSlick
    Practice Squad
    • Dec 2012

MVP: Peyton Manning Vs Tom Brady? How about no.

Ok, Peyton Manning has basically led Tom Brady in every single QB statistic the entire season excluding INTS, to which there is a whopping 6 INT differential. And he's led him without the kind of blow-out games where Belichick refuses to take his foot off the gas when games are already over. I'm not saying this is Tom Brady's fault; I'm only asking that people evaluate these quarterbacks honestly.

Let's take a look at their stats:

330 completions 483 attempts 68.3 completion% Peyton Manning
    319 completions 495 attempts 64.4 completion% Tom Brady

37.2 yds/game 3,812 yds 7.9 avg Peyton Manning
    38.1 yds/game 3,833 yds 7.7 avg Tom Brady

30 TD 10 INT Peyton Manning
    29 TD 4 INT Tom Brady

38.5 1st% 53 (20+) 6 (40+) Peyton Manning
    41.0 1st% 43 (20+) 6 (40+) Tom Brady

104.0 Passer Rating 82.4 TotalQBR Peyton Manning
    104.2 Passer Rating 80.6 TotalQBR Tom Brady

Now if that isn't neck-and-neck, statistically, then I don't know what is--including factoring in the TD/INT ratio.

When you look at how these numbers have progressed over the season, Peyton has been demonstrably more consistent. It's been: Brady's trailing Manning... Brady catches up in blow-out game... Brady's trailing Manning... Brady catches up again in a-nother blow-out game.

Moving along, other than the Ravens, who else have the Patriots played exactly? The only two other "good" teams on their schedule are back-to-back HOME games against teams at the END of the season that were assumed to have long since clinched their divisions at this point (and wouldn't u know it.... yep. PRIMETIME games). Are we really supposed to be dazzled by the Patriots blowing out a depleted Texans team that's more or less already clinched their division and a first round bye? - even more so when this Texan team struggled to beat the Lions and the Jaguars only 2 weeks ago?? I'm not sold. With the Seahawks creeping up on the 9ers, at least next weeks game against the Patriots will be more important to them than it was for the Texans--but even the 9ers are struggling right now, they're playing musical quarterbacks and can't even beat the Rams.

Putting Brady ahead of Manning because of ONE single QB statistic--even when they are hands down neck-and-neck within the scope of every single statistical measurement we use to evaluate quarterbacks--is just as illogical as saying the Falcons are better than the Patriots because they've won more games.

Finally, and most importantly, the Patriots have a head coach that will go down as one of the best in NFL history. Period. They have had a seemingly unstoppable system that's been fine-tuned to fit Tom Brady's style of play for the better part of a decade. Yes, Manning and Brady are neck-and-neck statistically, but Manning just signed with a BRAND NEW team coming off of 4 neck surgeries to repair nerves in his spinal chord while missing the entire 2011 season where in which his team went 2 and 14 without him.

Brady is having an awesome season--an MVP caliber season--and I'm not going to take that away from him. But what Peyton Manning is doing is simply unprecedented.

There is simply no rational explanation for it. With sports media going ga-ga from Brady after Monday night it only affirms what I've feared but have also grown accustomed to at this point: NFL's AP MVP awards, indeed, are a popularity contest. Really though, I guess you could say it's Manning's fault for not marrying a super model and posing in GQ.

@hooraygroupthink
    fumpa.mybrute.com
  • jetrazor74
    Invincible Iron Fan
    • Dec 2007

I think Adrian Peterson is a bigger threat to take the NFL MVP award away from Manning than Brady is.

Comment

• PunchDrunk
      Bench Warmer
      • Oct 2011

IMO, if Manning can muster a big game in Baltimore in a win, he'll probably win it.

Comment

• Preetv
        Bench Warmer
        • Sep 2012

Manning will def. win MVP and AP will win comeback player of the year.

There's no way that they won't give Manning the award.

Comment

• Preetv
          Bench Warmer
          • Sep 2012

Personally, Manning should win both. .

Comment

• Amari24
            Starter
            • Jan 2010

If AP gets over 2K rushing yards as expected, then it's possible he takes both MVP AND Comeback Player of the Year from Peyton. I'm telling you right now, don't be stunned if neither Brady or Manning get MVP this year.

Comment

• berlownacyo7s
              All-Pro
              • Jan 2008

Adrian Peterson should win MVP (if the Vikings win a couple more games) and PFM should win Comeback Player of the Year. Tom Brady should not win anything.

Comment

• EddieMac
                Canuck Mod, eh!
                • Feb 2004

Brady beat Manning head to head. Don't think that doesn't count in a big way.
                sigpic

Comment

• TheAnimalYears
                  Practice Squad
                  • Nov 2012

I think proclaiming that Brady doesn't even belong in consideration is a huge discredit. The man is absolutely dissecting defenses at this point. The Patriots got some ridiculous bailout calls last night, but Brady was still mind-numblingly impressive. He's been every bit as good as Manning this season IMO. It's just about a dead heat for me, although I'm hoping Manning wins the award via a big performance on Sunday.

Then again, what would you rather have: Peyton Manning, NFL MVP or Peyton Manning, Super Bowl MVP?

Comment

• Peyton&Eli_fan
                    Bench Warmer
                    • Mar 2012

I think Brady and Manning will split votes and it will go to Peterson.

Comment

• Jermz79
                      Starter
                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by TheAnimalYears View Post
                      I think proclaiming that Brady doesn't even belong in consideration is a huge discredit. The man is absolutely dissecting defenses at this point. The Patriots got some ridiculous bailout calls last night, but Brady was still mind-numblingly impressive. He's been every bit as good as Manning this season IMO. It's just about a dead heat for me, although I'm hoping Manning wins the award via a big performance on Sunday.

Then again, what would you rather have: Peyton Manning, NFL MVP or Peyton Manning, Super Bowl MVP?
                      Bolded part sounds better to me for sure.

and I'll add that if Brady wins MVP I'll puke, that guy is a chump. If ANYONE deserves it more than Manning it's All Day Peterson for sure. That guy is the definition of Most Valuable Player, without him the ViQueens would be horrid.
                      sigpic

Comment

• LoserSlick
                        Practice Squad
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                        Brady beat Manning head to head. Don't think that doesn't count in a big way.
                        Quarterbacks don't play each other head-to-head. More accurate statement: Patriots defense beat Peyton Manning. Even more accurate statement: Patriots defense beat Willis Mcgahee. MOST accurate statement: Willis Mcgahee beat the Broncos.

I think proclaiming that Brady doesn't even belong in consideration is a huge discredit.
                        I never said that. In fact, I said the complete opposite.

It's just about a dead heat for me, although I'm hoping Manning wins the award via a big performance on Sunday.
                        That is what this entire thread is refuting. Yes, it is a dead heat, ceteris paribus, which is precisely the problem. Manning shouldn't need a big anything on Sunday to win MVP, only to continue to be as consistent as he already has over the last 13 games.
                        fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

• flosstein
                          Ring of Famer
                          • Dec 2003

AP is the MVP, period. The award is based upon the player that is most valuable to their team and the league. A good argument against Manning that many have is the fact that we won our division and a playoff game without him. In fact u could argue that Von is the MVP of the team. His addition was a major part of last year and this year. When both Manning and "the other guy" struggled on offense it was usually a big play by Von that turned the momentum. And when he was hampered due to injury, the impact was felt......big time.

Now as far as "Comeback Player of the Year" or "Offensive Player of the Year", you can argue for Manning all day. But MVP in 2012 should be AP.
                          #swapping

Comment

• FabrizioHC
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Nov 2011

Personally I don't care about individual awards. All I want is the Lombardi Trophy, that's the only one I care about.

Comment

• duffman1260
                              Practice Squad
                              • Dec 2008

I don't think AP gets MVP, the seasons RB have had to earn MVPs are generally a lot better than the season AP is having this year. I think it'll go to week 17 between Brady and Manning, both are playing lights out, slight edge to Brady right now given his dominating performance yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X