Temporary License Plates.

Ok, so I am a pretty big procrasinator..I try not to be, and I have been getting a little better at it, however..My temp license plates expires today and the DMV isnt open on Saturdays..Atleast I dont think they are open..But anyways I went there yesterday at the last minute of course but I didnt have the correct paperwork so I couldnt get them, so then I called the dealership I got my truck from and they said they would figure it out..So now I am stuck driving my truck with the temp expired and I dont know if the cops give you some leeway or not..I was thinking about getting a sharpie and making the 7 into an 8..But I dont know if that would make things worse..

So do you guys have any advice on what I should do? Or do you guys know if police pull you over the day that it expires or if they give you a day or two?
    WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

They'll give you leeway for a day.

I mean, they give a month of leeway for regular plate expirations.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dandaman23 View Post
    Ok, so I am a pretty big procrasinator..I try not to be, and I have been getting a little better at it, however..My temp license plates expires today and the DMV isnt open on Saturdays..Atleast I dont think they are open..But anyways I went there yesterday at the last minute of course but I didnt have the correct paperwork so I couldnt get them, so then I called the dealership I got my truck from and they said they would figure it out..So now I am stuck driving my truck with the temp expired and I dont know if the cops give you some leeway or not..I was thinking about getting a sharpie and making the 7 into an 8..But I dont know if that would make things worse..

So do you guys have any advice on what I should do? Or do you guys know if police pull you over the day that it expires or if they give you a day or two?

Of course, your talking about what an individual cop will or wont do, and that's unpredictable.

However, using the sharpie as you suggested, well, if you DO get pulled over, and have done that, you can be assured of spending extra money.

NOT a good idea. In fact, I would guess a cop would be able to spot that as soon as he looked at your plate. Everyone thinks they can fool them, but few get away with it.

The likely hood of you getting pulled over seems pretty small to me though.

My truck's new sticker came about a week late last month. I still drove it all the way downtown to a Bronco game. Nobody ticketed me or pulled me over.

I'd keep driving, do your stuff on Monday (here they want your insurance papers also!). If by chance you do get pulled over, just tell them the truth, you forgot, tried Friday, are doing it Monday, and just had to make this one trip.

Just dont do anything to draw any attention to yourself while driving and you should be fine. No speeding, driving too slow, not using the signals, that stuff.

If you give them no reason to notice you, they shouldnt!

Just blend in man, just blend in......

And weat that seatbelt! Not wearing it is a reason to notice you.
    Last edited by JWinn; 10-27-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Problem solved..I just got back from the dealership and they gave me a new temporary license plate thats good through December 27th....And there sending me all the paperwork I need to get my real plates..Apparently they sent them, but the address was wrong and so I never got them..
    WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Nice dealer!!! They earned your business!!!

Dont procrastinate this time.

hahaha
    I bought two cars this past spring, the same day, but due to some slacking on getting the finances squared on the 2nd one, the dealership re-plated my car, giving me an extra 2 months to get those plates.

Well, that was on the convertible, soooo when the plates on the other car expired, we switched 'em around, and only drove the miata with the top down. Since there was no place to put the temp tags on the miata other than the back window, nobody noticed.

I got pulled over in the car, with the wrong plate in it. I made a big deal out of searching for the correct registration and insurance,(I didn't have my proof of insurance with me) but of course the registration showed that my temp plates had expired 2 months prior to that. The cop said it didn't matter as he looked over the old registration, said it's all good. If he had really pushed it though, I could have been going to jail that night -- no proof of insurance, no registration, wrong license plate and oh yeh I was actually going 80 in a 55, not 65/55 as he put on the ticket, so I woulda been in big trouble.

Nice thing is, I didn't even have to go to court for that one - they sent me a lesser plea in the mail, lowered the charges and points from my license...

Of course, I've always pushed my luck with cops/driving/tickets/etc heh..."Little beef sticks", "just watch" and "driving is a priviledge, not a right" are some of my favorite stories..