View Poll Results: Do we need a fullback in the draft; if yes which one?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't want a fullback in this draft!!!

6 9.52%
  • Peyton Hillis, Arkansas

5 7.94%
  • Owen Schmitt, West Virginia

44 69.84%
  • Jacob Hester, LSU

3 4.76%
  • Carl Stewart, Auburn

1 1.59%
  • Jerome Felton, Furman

2 3.17%
  • Jed Collins, Washington State

0 0%
  • Jehuu Caulcrick, Michigan State

1 1.59%
  • Other; Fullback not listed here.

1 1.59%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by armchair scout View Post
    ...and Schmitt also plays tight end, giving us depth there and more playing time for him.
    We don't need him to play tight end, besides the fact that he's clearly a natural FB.

Anyway, I just don't see the team valuing FB enough to spend a mid-round pick on that position. There are plenty of other needs to address this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    We don't need him to play tight end, besides the fact that he's clearly a natural FB.

Anyway, I just don't see the team valuing FB enough to spend a mid-round pick on that position. There are plenty of other needs to address this time around.
    I guess you missed Shannahan's comment, at the end of the season, in which he stated that he wanted to add depth at TE due to injuries for Graham and Sheffler.

I don't agree with the statement that we have plenty of other needs to ignore FB, but that's just me...and almost everyone else on this thread. I think Schmitt fills far more need than just a single position on paper. We need guys like Schmitt to avoid falling into the mediocre attitude of last year.
    vote HILLIS in 2009!

Like many others, I'm getting sick and tired of the "we don't need a FB because we run the 2 TE set" rationale, it's almost a cliche. The reason we do that is because our current convert FBs--who really are not FBs--arent up to the job, and our O-line is mediocre at best. Therefore, we draw upon our strengths to mask our weaknesses.

good point ac I remember when Shanny said that about TE depth. Im going out on a limb here, I think OS might, not far down the road and barring injury, be a better all-around player than the very pricey Graham...

just throwing that out there, in the larger context of fiscal belt-tightening at Dove Valley. If y're productive and cheap, you stay; if y're pricey and unproductive, y're gone.

Schmitt’s aggressive, hell-bent attitude goes beyond the stereotypical fullback. He has reportedly broken 11 facemasks during his stay at West Virginia. The former walk-on’s tenacity quickly spread throughout the Big East and all of college football.

On his pro day psychologically test, one question asked, “Are you a dog or a cat?” Schmitt fittingly scribbled, “Lion.” He has a 675-pound squat, a 480-pound hang clean and ranked fourth amongst all backs by bench-pressing 225 lb. 26 times.

In three seasons, Schmitt averaged 7.9, 5.4 and 4.7 yards per carry also as a frequently used supplementary threat. Tailback instincts helps him anticipate holes as a fullback and clear lanes – a rare quality.

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=744403

We must land Schmitt for our future; period.
    Hopefully, before buffalo or any other team has the chance.

Last edited by Jack-o-Lantern; 04-08-2008 at 04:11 PM.

If Only.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-o-Lantern View Post
    Sure, I could see him going early, but if he is within our grasp and we don't get him then I will be sad and mad. I think we need our early picks for our defense, but would be happy if we tried to make a play for owen in the third or fourth round. That is assuming we get a third round pick for anything.

However, with that being said, I would like to nab the guy in the second myself if it were up to me.

MY MOCK DRAFT:
    1)OWEN SCHMITT
    2)OWEN SCHMITT
    3)OWEN SCHMITT
    4)OWEN SCHMITT
    5)OWEN SCHMITT
    6)OWEN SCHMITT
    7)OWEN SCHMITT
    If only there were seven Owen Schmitts available this year! They only come along every so often.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

"If you really want play-action, you better pull a guard." ~ Greg Roman

good article, nice to see a team that actually acknowledges a weakness instead of glossing it over.

Yup and dont forget the kid has hands that are soft, yet with a vise-like grip, and that he has never fumbled, and has never been stopped for a loss. Stopped for no gain twice at WVU, but never for a loss.

I wish we could snare a high third round pick (Foxworth trade, move down?) so we could insure this (non-spitting) romanowski clone is part of our O this year before the Bills or anyone else get him. Folks, we will NOT be disappointed.
    Last edited by Sequence; 04-09-2008 at 08:49 AM.

More Owen Schmitt stuff for your viewing pleasure....

Owen Schmitt comic appearing in ESPN last year (freakin' awesome)

The legend of Owen Schmitt video by WVU AD

Owen Schmitt Interview

Fiesta Bowl recap (features a lot of Mr. Schmitt)

<owen schmitt's bandwagon>

Sign me up! Guy looks friggin' HOSS.........i like how he bashes....not just hits, or block.......but bashes.
    Let's draft her....
    [CENTER][IMG]http://www.fresh99.com/images/footballbabes/13.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by JourneyMan View Post
    More Owen Schmitt stuff for your viewing pleasure....

Owen Schmitt comic appearing in ESPN last year (freakin' awesome)

The legend of Owen Schmitt video by WVU AD

Owen Schmitt Interview

Fiesta Bowl recap (features a lot of Mr. Schmitt)
    Thanks for the kick @$$ Links my friend...They are chock full-o-quality stuff on Mr. Schmitt.

We have to draft this warrior by any means necessary!

OWEN SCHMITT FREAKIN' ROCKS MY HEAD OFF!!!!

Last edited by Jack-o-Lantern; 04-10-2008 at 04:58 PM.

On the psychological written test, a question was asked "Are you a dog or a cat?" Schmitt wrote in "Lion".

haha, that is awesome...
    Let's draft her....
    [CENTER][IMG]http://www.fresh99.com/images/footballbabes/13.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Talking

I don't know about everyone else, but I personally like the fact that we are not seen as a threat by other teams to take a fullback in the draft. I think this is all the reason more to take one.

I think the packers would be the most likely to jump the gun early on Schmitt with their late third, but they already have a set of decent FBs, so it isn't an early need for them. Even though the bills want him, they have more pressing needs for their first three picks and will look for him in the fourth.

This makes me think Schmitt will fall to the top of the fourth where we pick before both of these teams. We just might see him fall in our laps at 108, which would be a great opportunity we better not pass on.

Any time you can find a guy that is ranked #1 talent at his position so late in the draft it is a steal. The only other postions that the #1 player falls this far in the draft are for a punter or kicker. All other #1 in their position fall within rounds 1 and 2.

Does anyone else see other teams as a threat to pick him early? I know all teams would like him, but who do you think would be willing to take him before we have a chance in the fourth? Maybe the chargers,vikings, steelers or cowboys? (Paranoia is now setting into my soul as the days go by. They are all enemies on the prowl...)

Last edited by Jack-o-Lantern; 04-11-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Word out of Mo'Town is that the Steelers and Redskins had him workout....that I know of....

Deepest Draft Desires

Admit it. We are all addicts. Football addicts. Bronco addicts. Draft addicts. Just wait 'til next year!

We have studied the available players ad nauseum. Experts have been consulted incessantly. Projections and mock drafts have been posted predicting exactly where the top players will go. Combine measurables have been pored over.

It will happen. The draft will occur. Then we can reanalyze it.

After all is said and done, it's football. The real football players will emerge.

All of my bros here have certain players they want to see in a Bronco suit. I respect their feelings more and more each day. Don't necessarily agree with them, but I respect them. There are those who want DeSean Jackson or Darren McFadden or Branden Albert or Sedrick Ellis, etc.

For me, I want a couple of good OL, two good DTs, a receiver or two; maybe a safety and a couple of kickers. Nothing specific. I'll be happy because I know that there are a lot of good football players out there, plenty to go around... , but THE ONE SPECIFIC I DO HAVE IS OWEN SCHMITT.

That's my guy. Gotta have him. If Denver doesn't draft him, I just hope he goes to the NFC. Don't tell me San Diego will get him.

The reason for my desire for the Broncos to have Owen Schmitt is that it's all about the game. When asked about what position he was projected to in the NFL, he just said, "I don't care, I'll play water boy. Just give me a chance." THAT'S IT! That's football-pure football. That's the guy you want on your field and in your lockerroom because that's the attitude, passion and the spiritual intangible that wins games and championships.

It has become obvious that the Broncos have been lacking something. Well, get Owen. He'll fire you up. He'll cover kicks and punts. He'll block on KOR & PR. He'll line up anywhere you ask him and he'll hit anybody you want. He'll block, run, catch, whatever. He won't win a SB by himself, but he'll light a fire that could.

If OS is there when we make our first 4th round pick and we don't take him, Shanahan will forever lose my respect and my support, and I will join the shrill ranks of the anti-Shanahaners ,some of who are forming sunday bowling leagues as we speak....

Another thread asked what RB would you take beyond round 1? My answer was easy: Owen Schmitt. Screw the others, I dont want them. I want Owen. I cannot think of a better wingman for Jay C than this guy.
    Last edited by Sequence; 04-12-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Owen Schmitt, the Beast from the Big East

Therein lies the rub. With no 3rd round pick, the Broncos (and us) will just have to see if he's still there. At one time Owen Schmitt and Frank Okam were projected in the 5th round. I'm with you. Take OS with the first 4th rounder... if he's there. If it was me, and I had a 3rd, I'd use it to get him in a heartbeat. Using a 2nd is much harder to justify, although another Big East FB, Brian Leonard, went in the 2nd last year. We will just have to wait and see.