Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to get a TRYOUT to PLAY for the Broncos?

Hey there

So, my cousin is 24 years old, about 6'0", and he is an excellent Punter/Kicker.

We are currently in the process of getting a professional video camera to film him doing field goals and punts at the local high school football stadium.

Just to give you an idea, he lives in Houston, Texas (very humid air) and went 18/20 on 64-yd FG attempts...I know that it wasn't a game situation, but 64-yds is still a hell of a kick. If he had the chance to play in Denver, that might add a yard or 2 to his kick with the thin air.

He is also a great Punter as well. He did some punting (20 punts), and averaged 69 yards a punt (shortest was 59 yards, longest was 78), and that is of course without the bounce. He also had some great hangtimes, I don't recall exactly what his best one was, but it was in the 5.3 range (not certain though).

I've contacted other teams about possible tryouts, and I even got him a tryout for the Houston Texans. He was placed on a farm team, but due to the head coach of the team, Dustin (my cousin), felt that it wasn't going to help him get any better by being there, and decided to leave. He played 6 games there, and hit several 60 yard field goals in game situations.

I'm still working on getting him a tryout for the Texans, because he lives in Houston, but I'm a Denver Bronco fan forever I was thinking "Hey...Dustin could go kick in Denver!"

So, I know this isn't a forum where say, members from the Denver Front Office are; it's just a fan board. But, is there anyone here who could hook me up with contact information to the Denver Scouting Agents, or anyone in the Denver Front Office for me to send videos and schedule possible tryouts???

Thanks, and I know it seems kind of far fetched, but I really think Dustin has what it takes to be the next great kicker in Denver, and I hope you all might support me in my attempt to get him signed to a farm-team for Denver and hopefully a.s.a.p, get him a contract to be playing on sundays...

Thanks for reading!

edit: I realize I posted this thread in 2 different forums, I didn't know which would be more appropriate to post in. Mods, you can close 1 or the other either way.

I say try to hookup with Andrew Mason, comment in one of his blogs about it or something, maybe he knows a thing or two about contacting the Broncos personnel.

Does he come here on the forum? Or should I just google his name to find his blog?

have him go for it.My thumbs up for him...If you have a dream follow it dont wait...he has a good as a chanch as anyone to make a team....tell him to keep his head up and dont give up..PS if he ever did make the denver roster remember this great thought I gave you because I would love to be a season ticket holder....''LOL LOL''
    ''good luck and don't give up''

Ya, he already told me that any sort of contract I get him anywhere for him to play, that he is giving me 8%-10% of his salary.

And I'm 16 years old, so 10% of his $400,000 (I'm assuming that is what a walk-on kicker who proves he can definitely kick is like) paycheck is like Micheal Jackson walking into a daycare center (Ooh, probably shouldn't have said that. )

But ya, any and all support for me to help him get contacts and more importantly, a contract Is greatly appreciated.

I had a cousin who was a soccer player. he tried out for the oilers and cowboys as a place kicker, but they never gave him a look even though he was booting 50+ yd fg at a high rate.

Hindsight is 20/20 and he said he tried the negotiations himself and he believes because he didnt have an agent he was never considered.

So best advice I can give ya and him is if he is serious to get an agent first, and remember there is also AFL/CFL.

Ya, on the farm team he played for, the original head coach (who was good), said he had an offer to go coach in Canada and if he did, he would bring Dustin with him and get him a contract.

But that coach never got signed in the CFL. But ya, I'm sending out e-mails to NFL teams first, then send some to CFL teams (mainly because the $$$ is in the NFL, and Dustin told me I'd get 10% of whatever he gets )

I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting an NFL Agent though.

If it counts for anything though, Dustin's mom (my aunt), is a masseuse and one of her clients is Andre Ware (heisman trophy winner from the Univ. of Houston and played QB for the Detroit Lions), he said he could help us maybe get in contact with some teams. So I'm going to call him soon. You think that'd be good enough instead of looking for an agent????

Quote Originally Posted by jlhawkins9 View Post
    Haha

That's not my cousin, but that just gave me the idea of posting the vid on youtube once I get the video filmed!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos_ATX View Post
    Ya, on the farm team he played for, the original head coach (who was good), said he had an offer to go coach in Canada and if he did, he would bring Dustin with him and get him a contract.

But that coach never got signed in the CFL. But ya, I'm sending out e-mails to NFL teams first, then send some to CFL teams (mainly because the $$$ is in the NFL, and Dustin told me I'd get 10% of whatever he gets )

I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting an NFL Agent though.

If it counts for anything though, Dustin's mom (my aunt), is a masseuse and one of her clients is Andre Ware (heisman trophy winner from the Univ. of Houston and played QB for the Detroit Lions), he said he could help us maybe get in contact with some teams. So I'm going to call him soon. You think that'd be good enough instead of looking for an agent????
    You need a professional to negotiate a contract. The NFLPA I believe has a list. Might try their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    You need a professional to negotiate a contract. The NFLPA I believe has a list. Might try their web site.

Hmm, I didn't think of that.

I'll go try them and send some e-mails there. E-mailing them will definitely improve my chances, don't you think?

Thank you for all this feedback and comments, I appreciate it!!!!
    Last edited by Broncos_ATX; 03-11-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Dude if he can kick the ball over 60 yards with that kind of accuracy GET HIM ON THE ROSTER!

Seahawks GM
    Trade block: No longer seeking trades.

Hmm, I didn't think of that.

I'll go try them and send some e-mails there. E-mailing them will definitely improve my chances, don't you think?

Thank you for all this feedback and comments, I appreciate it!!!!
    Reason I say try NFLPA because IIRC an agent has to pass a test to allow them to negotiate contracts for NFL or NFL prospects. I remember that from an article concerning Pacman Jones and his lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
    Reason I say try NFLPA because IIRC an agent has to pass a test to allow them to negotiate contracts for NFL or NFL prospects. I remember that from an article concerning Pacman Jones and his lawyers.
    Ya, I'm looking at a list of Agents in the Houston and Austin areas on NFLPA

I just hit the jackpot of contacts... Thank you for the idea!

Should I search for Agents in the Austin/Houston areas or in the Denver area?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler'stheMan View Post
    Dude if he can kick the ball over 60 yards with that kind of accuracy GET HIM ON THE ROSTER!

Oh believe me, I'm trying my butt off to get him here in Denver; or anywhere for that matter.

Ya, I'm looking at a list of Agents in the Houston and Austin areas on NFLPA

I just hit the jackpot of contacts... Thank you for the idea!

Should I search for Agents in the Austin/Houston areas or in the Denver area?

Oh believe me, I'm trying my butt off to get him here in Denver; or anywhere for that matter.
    Try where your cousin lives. If he's in Texas, don't just limit yourself to Austin and Houston, expand to San Antonio and Dallas/Ft Worth too.