Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I love these targets. Under the radar guys who have size, speed and skill. Anyone of them would do it for me. I like our policy of not signing big named guys who would command huge dollars but quality starters who can come in and contribute.
    Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Aija View Post
    I love these targets. Under the radar guys who have size, speed and skill. Anyone of them would do it for me. I like our policy of not signing big named guys who would command huge dollars but quality starters who can come in and contribute.
    AMEN... Bartell sounds like a great target. A guy COMING into his prime!
    We get a solid CB to play opposite CHAMP...

THEN, Mcdaniels turns his attention to 2 buddies from NE:

James Sanders (S)
    Mike Wright (DL)

After that... We try for a "big" splash in Igor Olshansky or Chris Canty.

NOW... DEN is sitting pretty. They could go for a KR guy in Justin Miller.

Maybe a RB (If Ward signs a reasonable deal).

Baretll, Sanders, Wright, Miller, Ward, Olshanksy/Canty...

MAN, we be sitting pretty. We would probably round things out by taking another DL guy, possibly even another safety...

This gives us about 7-8 free agents.

NOTICE: we didn't sign any LBs? This should tell us what to expect in the draft... Probably Rey Maualuga in round-1... probably even a Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, or some other OLB in round-2...

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    AMEN... Bartell sounds like a great target. A guy COMING into his prime!
    We get a solid CB to play opposite CHAMP...

THEN, Mcdaniels turns his attention to 2 buddies from NE:

James Sanders (S)
    Mike Wright (DL)

After that... We try for a "big" splash in Igor Olshansky or Chris Canty.

NOW... DEN is sitting pretty. They could go for a KR guy in Justin Miller.

Maybe a RB (If Ward signs a reasonable deal).

Baretll, Sanders, Wright, Miller, Ward, Olshanksy/Canty...

MAN, we be sitting pretty. We would probably round things out by taking another DL guy, possibly even another safety...

This gives us about 7-8 free agents.

NOTICE: we didn't sign any LBs? This should tell us what to expect in the draft... Probably Rey Maualuga in round-1... probably even a Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, or some other OLB in round-2...
    I think for the most part you hit the nail on the head.

In FA, I would expect us to sure up our safety positions and CB opening first since they will most likely be the first guys off the list. So, for instance, I expect to see us get Bartell, Sanders, and Gibril Wilson (If he comes cheaper than the deal OAK gave him). If Gibril Wilson asks for too much, I think we go the Sean Jones and Jermaine Phillips route. Then we turn our attention to DL, acquiring a players like Mike Wright (DE w/ some spot time at NT) and Ron Fields (Very similar player to Ron Brace, he can occupy two blockers and he's only 27 and has played NT). Then I think we do the smart thing and signing Derrick Ward (low mileage, new reports saying he is asking anywhere from 3-4m annually which is good news for us, gives us a 3-down RB finally).

Leaves us with plenty of options in the first three rounds. What I would love to see (judging by players stock status at 6:46 P.M. on Feb. 22nd) we Draft Rey Maualuga Round 1, Clint Sintim Round 2, and Jarron Gilbert Round 3. That gives us our 2nd ILB next to DJ, and a good blitzing SLB to play opposite of Moss/Doom (I have a strong feeling we will give Moss and Doom the biggest chance this season, and if it doesn't work out, see-ya), and we sure up some depth and strength at DE w/ Gilbert. This plan could be shot to **** if Sintim and Gilbert blow up the combine (which Gilbert easily could do), but if we added Maualuga, Sintim, Gilbert, Mike Wright, Ronald Fields all to our Front 7, let alone Bartell, Wilson, and Sanders to the secondary... Talk about a young, promising team that mirrors the youth and talent of their offensive counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarfalicious View Post
    I think for the most part you hit the nail on the head.

In FA, I would expect us to sure up our safety positions and CB opening first since they will most likely be the first guys off the list. So, for instance, I expect to see us get Bartell, Sanders, and Gibril Wilson (If he comes cheaper than the deal OAK gave him). If Gibril Wilson asks for too much, I think we go the Sean Jones and Jermaine Phillips route. Then we turn our attention to DL, acquiring a players like Mike Wright (DE w/ some spot time at NT) and Ron Fields (Very similar player to Ron Brace, he can occupy two blockers and he's only 27 and has played NT). Then I think we do the smart thing and signing Derrick Ward (low mileage, new reports saying he is asking anywhere from 3-4m annually which is good news for us, gives us a 3-down RB finally).

Leaves us with plenty of options in the first three rounds. What I would love to see (judging by players stock status at 6:46 P.M. on Feb. 22nd) we Draft Rey Maualuga Round 1, Clint Sintim Round 2, and Jarron Gilbert Round 3. That gives us our 2nd ILB next to DJ, and a good blitzing SLB to play opposite of Moss/Doom (I have a strong feeling we will give Moss and Doom the biggest chance this season, and if it doesn't work out, see-ya), and we sure up some depth and strength at DE w/ Gilbert. This plan could be shot to **** if Sintim and Gilbert blow up the combine (which Gilbert easily could do), but if we added Maualuga, Sintim, Gilbert, Mike Wright, Ronald Fields all to our Front 7, let alone Bartell, Wilson, and Sanders to the secondary... Talk about a young, promising team that mirrors the youth and talent of their offensive counterparts.
    I definitely agree with that... I think we look to address the DL * the secondary via free agency. I expect us to sign one SOLID 3-4 defesnive end... I doubt we get Canty (I think he signs with MIA or DAL)... It would be nice to sign Igor, b/c it would also hurt San Diego!

SO... say we give $ to Igor... He's our "big" splash.

Then, we turn our attention to a couple former NE players (Mike Wright & James Sanders). Look, there are a few enticing FS & possible NT types... I just selected these two b/c of the ties to Mcdaniels. I mean, if they are worth it... if they have talent/potential... Mcdaniels will target these two. Otherwise, we'll chase another FS/NT combo.

SO... we signed a DE, a NT & a FS.

There are a few SS options out there... a Gibril Wilson or Y-Bell. Maybe a Huff, Williams or Brown becomes an option? Still, I expect us to sign somebody.

NOW, we signed a FS, SS, DE & a NT.

We could turn our attention to LB... a Crowell, Crowder or Peterson. I would expect a low-priority signing... Which means either Crowell or Peterson. Either we get them at our price, or we just make LB a top priority in the draft. Crowell had a knee injury... And Peterson is aging... SO, again... if the price is right, these two provide depth.

Ward is interesting... If we didn't sign him, then I would assume we would draft a RB in the first 3 rounds.

To round out the free agent class... I would think we would target a vet Kicker, another #3 WR and a KR in Justin Miller.

This sets us up for the draft. We'll go Maualuga in round one, just b/c he is nasty and has the most upside. Give Martindale 2 years and Rey-Rey will be a dominating presence.

Mcdaniels knows you need a solid front, but yur personality comes from a solid LB group.

I think Spencer Larsen is good, and will be a nice depth player... BUT, I do not envision Nolan looking at DJ-SL and feeling we're set. SO, we'll bring in a stud to enhance the middle of our defense. THEN, in round two... They probably go for a pass-rushing OLB... They know they can get by with Boss, Elvis & Moss... but, they'll start working on insurance.

They'll look for a RB and a DE next. They could grab a RB in round 2, or even round one, if they have targeted other ILB & OLB, whom they feel will be available later on.

I do like Gilbert as well... We might even deal a 4th and both 5ths to slide up in the 2-3 round range, if it's possible to grab a stud we covet?

I'm pumped!

"Sorry man but both Canty and Bartell blow the other two away... both are young and will be instant impacts on our defense, which needs about 4-5 Pro-Bowl quality players (on top of a healthy Champ and D.J.) to be something special."

So, you're saying that Bartell was arguably the best player on the Rams roster and that they would simply let him get signed by another team that easily? And for only $6 million a year? Hahaha no way, we wouldn't let him go that easily. Our old FO might have, yes, but Devaney and Spags have him on lockdown. They're securing a long term contract as we speak. No way in hell the Rams let one of their best players slip away.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    "Sorry man but both Canty and Bartell blow the other two away... both are young and will be instant impacts on our defense, which needs about 4-5 Pro-Bowl quality players (on top of a healthy Champ and D.J.) to be something special."

So, you're saying that Bartell was arguably the best player on the Rams roster and that they would simply let him get signed by another team that easily? And for only $6 million a year? Hahaha no way, we wouldn't let him go that easily. Our old FO might have, yes, but Devaney and Spags have him on lockdown. They're securing a long term contract as we speak. No way in hell the Rams let one of their best players slip away.
    Why would Bartell want to play for the RaMS? Maybe he wants to win... Not to rag on St Louis... but, you have to consider this...

Well considering we have a whole new set of coaches and a brilliant new head coach who completely turned around the Giants defense and made them Superbowl champions, I can see where he's coming from. We don't have the worst players, but our coaches were pretty awful. The Rams are going to get significally better...

"Negotialtions are proceding well. The Rams have Sunday thru Wed. to wrap this up and remember that the Thursday date of opening up free agency works as 'leverage' for the player agent to complete the deal.
    It has been indicated that Bartell wishes to remain a Ram and play under Spags in his style defense. Bartell will sign a long term sweet deal. Cornerbacks are a hot commoditiy and the Rams have indcated early that Bartell is a top priority. Look for him to be signed in Tuesday evening or on Wednesday just prior to start of free agency.
    Note: Saw the same scenario with Packers a few years back when Safety Darren Sharper was about to become a free agent. The two sides were reported 'not being close ' also but at the 11th hour , the Pack 'sealed the deal' with a contratct on the eve of start of free agency.
    The agent will get every dollar he can for his client and that will come by Wed .when it is 'crunch time' for the Rams. So be patient and Bartell should be in the fold by that time.
    The Rams will be parting ways with both Holt and Pace soon so they will pay the money it takes to keep Bartell. He is one of their young core players Devaney discusses so much. "

Quote Originally Posted by giv View Post
    The Most Underrated Free Agent of 2009 - Ron Bartell

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-agent-of-2009

6yr 30mm doesnt sound underrated to me

Quote Originally Posted by halfback View Post
    6yr 30mm doesnt sound underrated to me
    sounds good to me

I'd sign him for that much and start him opposite Champ Bailey :salute!:

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

Sorry to disappoint, but sources say the Rams are trying to reach an agreement with Bartell for between $8-10 million a year

Why would Bartell want to play for the RaMS? Maybe he wants to win... Not to rag on St Louis... but, you have to consider this...
    The Broncos aren't really a whole lot closer to Super Bowl contention than is St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    The Broncos aren't really a whole lot closer to Super Bowl contention than is St. Louis.
    At least the pieces are in place... Bulger & Jackson on their last legs... No offensive line... The WRs are?

A "bad" year in DEN is 7-9... in St. Louis... it's 3-13.

At least the pieces are in place... Bulger & Jackson on their last legs... No offensive line... The WRs are?

A "bad" year in DEN is 7-9... in St. Louis... it's 3-13.
    No, the pieces aren't really in place. We're missing quite a few of them on defense, and possibly one on offense as well at RB.

Steven Jackson is 25 years old, not sure how he is on his "last legs". Bulger okay, but he's still a good QB, he just needs better protection. The Rams have the chance to get the top LT with their 1st pick. Their WR's are Torry Holt and Donnie Avery - not too shabby. They have one of the hottest young coaches coming in to be their head coach. They're going to turn it around quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see them having the same type of season Miami did last year, where they make the playoffs. Their division is weak too, so that will help.

Jax will be 26 when next year begins... he's like 42 in RB years... He cannot stay healthy... Has nobody to open lanes for him...

St. Louis has holes on both sides of the ball... DEN (at least) is pretty much set on one side...

I'm sorry... I hear what you're saying... BUT, DEN has a better track record (when it comes to winning)...

Bulger is 32... Holt is 33...

SO... by the time the RAMS "turn it around" ... and build an offesnive line... They're going to need a QB, WR, and a RB. BUT, hey... other than that... their offense is set.

THIS IS MY POINT: as a defensive player... They would have the confidence that they would help turn things around on their side of the ball... They would only fret about the other side... AND, to me... DEN is heads-shoulders ahead of St.Louis there.

Bartell might want to stay in St. Louis... Who knows... Time will tell.

If Bartell decides to re-sign with the Rams, good for him for staying true to his first team. But, to say that the Rams are as close to contention as the Rams is pretty wrong. We have the pieces in place in our Offense and we are only going to get better on that side of the ball. The D will be the focus of the offseason this year, and free agents will be more apt to want to be a part of a team on the rise (Broncos) in which they can leave an impression on (for instance, being a part of turning around a D which can't be any worse, which some could say is all we need for a Super Bowl run) in comparison to a team like St. Louis who is getting nothing but older. Granted, they got a good coach, but who knows how he will take to his new role, there's as much uncertainty about McDaniels as there is Spagnuolo.

If you asked any Defensive FA who they would rather play for, the Denver Broncos or the St. Louis Rams, I got a feeling a fair majority of the response would be Denver, not b/c I'm a fan and bias, but because we not only offer up a winning pedigree, but a young, talented team that will be on the rise and become a perennial SB contender with a solid D. By the time the Rams can say that, it might be time to start looking to address the Offensive side of the ball with key positions as a poster mentioned previously. We've got youth, money, and one of the best organizations in football on our side, that's all I'm saying. And if Bartell re-signs with the Rams, bring on McFadden , there's plenty of "backup plans" in FA or the Draft this year.