Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,612

    Personal Prospect Workouts by Denver

    Lets try and get an accurate and updated list. Teams only can schedule so many pre-draft workouts, making them a very valuable and limited tool for evaluating prospects.

    If you see someone you know for a fact we brought in, that is not on this list, post and I'll update the Master List.

    I think what is important to note are the positions, if not the prospects, we are spending heavy amounts of time on. It's apparent to me that DE/OLB and RB are the focus of our attention so far.


    ***Edit***
    I'm going to put the prospects projected round into the mix as well, I think that can be valuable for our mock draft purposes.



    Prospect Visits (Master List)


    OFFENSE


    QB
    Curtis Painter (Purdue) - 5th-6th Round

    RBs
    Knowshon Moreno (Georgia) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Chris Wells (Ohio State) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Donald Brown (Connecticut) - Mid-Late Round 1
    Rashad Jennings (Liberty) - Early Round 2

    WRs
    Mike Thomas (Arizona) - Late Round 2 - Late Round 3, also a dynamic return man
    Eron Riley (Duke) - Late Round 3 - Round 6, broad range.
    Pat White (West Virginia) - Round 3 - Round 4 (Worked him out as a WR)

    TE
    Richard Quinn (North Carolina) - Round 6 - Undrafted Free Agent (Badass blocking TE)

    OC
    Eric Wood (Louisville) - Late Round 1 - Early Round 2



    DEFENSE:


    DT
    BJ Raji (Boston College) - Early Round 1
    Roy Miller (Texas) - 5th Round - 7th Round (Pure 2-gap NT)

    OLB/DEs
    Connor Barwin (Cincinnati) - Early Round 2
    Robert Ayers (Tennessee) - Mid-Round 1 - Early Round 2
    David Veikune (Hawaii) - Late Round 3 - Early Round 5
    Victor Butler (Oregon State) - Round 4 - Round 6
    Cody Brown (Connecticut) - Late Round 2 - Round 3

    CBs
    Malcolm Jenkins (Ohio State) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Kevin Barnes (Maryland) - Early Round 3 - Round 4

    S
    Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest) - Late Round 2 - Round 3



    Any more that I've missed?
    Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 03-19-2009 at 11:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    847
    I have no idea why we're working out RB's, WR's, and a CENTER. Why do we need a center..?

    The defense i'm fine with though..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Props to Peerless^
    [B][SIZE="2"]Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.[/SIZE][/B]
    [SIZE="2"][B]Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.[/B][/SIZE]
    [B][SIZE="2"]Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57[/SIZE][/B]
    [B][SIZE="2"]Pro-McDaniels[/SIZE][/B]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13,723
    Quote Originally Posted by SheerCold View Post
    I have no idea why we're working out RB's, WR's, and a CENTER. Why do we need a center..?

    The defense i'm fine with though..
    Because our center is close to retirement and Hamilton may not be re-signed next year. That means we need a guard and center for the future. Currently we have lichtensteiger and other teams cast offs as backups. With a good center like wood, Unger, Mack, or even Caldwell, all of whom could also play guard as can Licht, the Oline can be solidified for years to come. Some of this years top centers can play Tackle as well. The time to get a new center is not the year you need him to start but several years in advance so he can learn the system and get used to NFL. I think taking a center in rounds 2-4 is brilliant.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Because our center is close to retirement and Hamilton may not be re-signed next year. That means we need a guard and center for the future. Currently we have lichtensteiger and other teams cast offs as backups. With a good center like wood, Unger, Mack, or even Caldwell, all of whom could also play guard as can Licht, the Oline can be solidified for years to come. Some of this years top centers can play Tackle as well. The time to get a new center is not the year you need him to start but several years in advance so he can learn the system and get used to NFL. I think taking a center in rounds 2-4 is brilliant.
    +1, and due to value of the position, I think we can get a good Center to groom for a year or so later, rather than earlier. Some of the better prospects are expected to go after the 3rd or 4th round. OL is one of those subjective areas that you might value one guy more than another if he fits your system, like when the Broncos liked those Kate Moss-type guys in the late 90's and early 00's. We had (I think) the lightest line in the league, but they worked extremely well for the system they played in.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Lets try and get an accurate and updated list. Teams only can schedule so many pre-draft workouts, making them a very valuable and limited tool for evaluating prospects.
    Hey, MUG (or anybody else), I keep seeing this stated, but haven't heard any hard limits. Is there a rule that restricts the number of personal workouts, or is it a practical limit brought about by time and money? If it's a hard limit, what's the number?

    Great thread, by the way. I'll give you CP once I give some love to others.

    I agree that we're definitely targeting those positions. I find it interesting that we worked out Ayers, but you don't see a lot of info on him. I haven't seen any bandwagon for him yet. Is he projected to be able to play 3-4 DE, or would he need to convert to OLB?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,612
    ^^^

    That is a good explanation of the need at OC. My problem with Wood is that we'd probably have to trade up in the 2nd to have a shot at him. I think he's moved up past Max Unger to being the 2nd OC being Mack. Mack goes in the Late 1st, I think Wood goes to Cincy or Buffalo in very early Round 2.

    Our best bet at OC is probably AQ Shipley in the 5th Round area.



    As far as our interest in RB, we need a starter, a bell cow, so to speak. I find if very interesting and telling that we are spending so much time on the absolute top RBs in the draft instead of lesser prospects. This tells me we are very seriously considering drafting a RB in Round 1 or Round 2. All of the above guys we've worked out at RB will be gone by our 2nd Round selection. And it is very likely that the best player available at #12 will be a RB. This also could mean we are interested in trading down and we are evaluating which prospects might be best to target to gauge how far back we can drop.

    Buckhalter, Jordan, and Arrington are depth guys. Buckhalter and Jordan are very solid #2 and #3 backups. Arrington is a KR/PR guy, he might never play at RB outside of the occasional screen/draw on 3rd and long. What this interest tells me is that Selvin Young is as good as gone, and that Hillis will be used as a Fullback only.


    I also find it interesting that we are spending alot of time with lesser draft prospects at DE/OLB. There's no Larry English, Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin, or Clint Sintim. Though, Robert Ayers could be a 1st Round guy. However, most of the guys we are looking at are 2nd-5th round guys. That tells me we want depth at the position, and do not believe a top prospect, or one worth the #12 selection, will be available. I'm very surprised we haven't worked out Larry English, Aaron Maybin, or Clint Sintim yet personally. Especially if we might trade down. Runningback seems to be more of a priority than DE/OLB at this time. I also find that surprising, but understandable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
    Hey, MUG (or anybody else), I keep seeing this stated, but haven't heard any hard limits. Is there a rule that restricts the number of personal workouts, or is it a practical limit brought about by time and money? If it's a hard limit, what's the number?

    Great thread, by the way. I'll give you CP once I give some love to others.

    I agree that we're definitely targeting those positions. I find it interesting that we worked out Ayers, but you don't see a lot of info on him. I haven't seen any bandwagon for him yet. Is he projected to be able to play 3-4 DE, or would he need to convert to OLB?

    I dont know. The media reports these things as if there is only a finite amount a team can use upon prospects. So, I'm rolling with that concept. Like you, I figure if that is not correct, then there is certainly a practical limit due to scheduling (other teams want to work these guys out too), travel, and just overall time investment and resources.

    So, I view these private, and often relatively secret, personal workouts as very, very telling in what our team is interested in. I don't put a massive amount of stock in which individual prospect comes because they could always have bombed the workout, and thus be off our board. What I greatly value is the positions we are focusing on, and the draft value of the prospects at those positions, if there is a consensus.

    Here, for instance, we are looking at 1st Round RBs in mass. I can promise I will change my SIG mock draft to have Moreno, Wells, or Brown as the pick, unless I determine a stud defensive player slips. Right now, I think with Cushing, Jackson, Maybin, and English all being mediocre at the Combine and at workouts, that they are more of Late 1st round picks, and only options if we trade down. Thus, unless Everette Brown slips (almost impossible), or we decide Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis are worth the #12 selection, I think RB will CLEARLY be the best player available. If Beanie or Knowshon are still there, I think both are steals at that point in terms of talent, and probably ideal in terms of draft value.

    The hype is starting to build up again for both players as Top 11 picks. Seattle and Cincy have massive needs at RB, and Jax, GB, SF, and Buffalo could all look at a RB for various reasons (Mo-Jo needs a tandem partner, Ryan Grant looked ordinary last year, SF needs depth behind Gore as he gets worn down, and in Buffalo, Lynch is in trouble again and will be suspended, and Fred Jackson is in his last contract year). So, we might only have Donald Brown as an option at #12, and if so, that's an interesting dilemma because I think its too early for Brown, but he profiles an awful lot like Chris Johnson of Tennessee, and we could use that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I dont know. The media reports these things as if there is only a finite amount a team can use upon prospects. So, I'm rolling with that concept. Like you, I figure if that is not correct, then there is certainly a practical limit due to scheduling (other teams want to work these guys out too), travel, and just overall time investment and resources.
    I was kind of suspicious that this was the case, but I was wondering if maybe there was more to it. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    So, I view these private, and often relatively secret, personal workouts as very, very telling in what our team is interested in. I don't put a massive amount of stock in which individual prospect comes because they could always have bombed the workout, and thus be off our board. What I greatly value is the positions we are focusing on, and the draft value of the prospects at those positions, if there is a consensus.
    Excellent point about positional interest. I hadn't thought about the workouts weeding out guys we aren't interested in anymore after they bomb. Duh. Makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Here, for instance, we are looking at 1st Round RBs in mass. I can promise I will change my SIG mock draft to have Moreno, Wells, or Brown as the pick, unless I determine a stud defensive player slips. Right now, I think with Cushing, Jackson, Maybin, and English all being mediocre at the Combine and at workouts, that they are more of Late 1st round picks, and only options if we trade down. Thus, unless Everette Brown slips (almost impossible), or we decide Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis are worth the #12 selection, I think RB will CLEARLY be the best player available. If Beanie or Knowshon are still there, I think both are steals at that point in terms of talent, and probably ideal in terms of draft value.
    That's disappointing about English and Cushing. I was really hoping for an OLB in the first, but the value just might not be there. After that anemic pass rush last year, I really want to see some sacks and hurries. Well, I guess we can hope that Moss can make the transition. I think it's possible, and we do have an upgraded LB coach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    The hype is starting to build up again for both players as Top 11 picks. Seattle and Cincy have massive needs at RB, and Jax, GB, SF, and Buffalo could all look at a RB for various reasons (Mo-Jo needs a tandem partner, Ryan Grant looked ordinary last year, SF needs depth behind Gore as he gets worn down, and in Buffalo, Lynch is in trouble again and will be suspended, and Fred Jackson is in his last contract year). So, we might only have Donald Brown as an option at #12, and if so, that's an interesting dilemma because I think its too early for Brown, but he profiles an awful lot like Chris Johnson of Tennessee, and we could use that.
    I guess it's too much to hope that they would push one of the top D players to 12, isn't it? I saw a new mock this morning by Kirwan that has Brown going at #3 to the Chiefs and Orakpo going to Cleveland at #5. Made me throw up a little. Curry fell all the way to GB at 9. He still has us taking Cushing, but he makes me nervous for some reason.
    Last edited by Broncos Bassist; 03-19-2009 at 08:05 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Mile High
    Posts
    6,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Lets try and get an accurate and updated list. Teams only can schedule so many pre-draft workouts, making them a very valuable and limited tool for evaluating prospects.

    If you see someone you know for a fact we brought in, that is not on this list, post and I'll update the Master List.

    I think what is important to note are the positions, if not the prospects, we are spending heavy amounts of time on. It's apparent to me that DE/OLB and RB are the focus of our attention so far.


    ***Edit***
    I'm going to put the prospects projected round into the mix as well, I think that can be valuable for our mock draft purposes.



    Prospect Visits (Master List)


    OFFENSE


    RBs
    Knowshon Moreno (Georgia) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Chris Wells (Ohio State) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Donald Brown (Connecticut) - Mid-Late Round 1
    Rashad Jennings (Liberty) - Early Round 2

    WRs
    Mike Thomas (Arizona) - Late Round 2 - Late Round 3, also a dynamic return man
    Eron Riley (Duke) - Late Round 3 - Round 6, broad range.

    OC
    Eric Wood (Louisville) - Late Round 1 - Early Round 2



    DEFENSE:


    DT
    BJ Raji (Boston College) - Early Round 1

    OLB/DEs
    Connor Barwin (Cincinnati) - Early Round 2
    Robert Ayers (Tennessee) - Mid-Round 1 - Early Round 2
    David Veikune (Hawaii) - Late Round 3 - Early Round 5
    Victor Butler (Oregon State) - Round 4 - Round 6

    CBs
    Malcolm Jenkins (Ohio State) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Kevin Barnes (Maryland) - Early Round 3 - Round 4

    S
    Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest) - Late Round 2 - Round 3



    Any more that I've missed?
    The real question is will the Broncos actually draft any of the players they bring in...so much of this stuff are smoke screens.

    BTW, let me go on record as saying I LOVE Donald Brown, and have all along. To me, he has so many similarities to Emmitt Smith, it's scary. He is tough, extremely durable, smart, a great character kid and is a great cutback runner.

    I worry New England is going to make a move for him, because if they get him with everything else they have on Offense, you can go ahead and mail the next Lombardi trophy to Foxborough now.

    Donald Brown is that good.
    Last edited by MindField; 03-19-2009 at 08:32 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lusby, Maryland
    Posts
    4,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    Lets try and get an accurate and updated list. Teams only can schedule so many pre-draft workouts, making them a very valuable and limited tool for evaluating prospects.

    If you see someone you know for a fact we brought in, that is not on this list, post and I'll update the Master List.

    I think what is important to note are the positions, if not the prospects, we are spending heavy amounts of time on. It's apparent to me that DE/OLB and RB are the focus of our attention so far.


    ***Edit***
    I'm going to put the prospects projected round into the mix as well, I think that can be valuable for our mock draft purposes.



    Prospect Visits (Master List)


    OFFENSE


    RBs
    Knowshon Moreno (Georgia) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Chris Wells (Ohio State) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Donald Brown (Connecticut) - Mid-Late Round 1
    Rashad Jennings (Liberty) - Early Round 2

    WRs
    Mike Thomas (Arizona) - Late Round 2 - Late Round 3, also a dynamic return man
    Eron Riley (Duke) - Late Round 3 - Round 6, broad range.

    OC
    Eric Wood (Louisville) - Late Round 1 - Early Round 2



    DEFENSE:


    DT
    BJ Raji (Boston College) - Early Round 1

    OLB/DEs
    Connor Barwin (Cincinnati) - Early Round 2
    Robert Ayers (Tennessee) - Mid-Round 1 - Early Round 2
    David Veikune (Hawaii) - Late Round 3 - Early Round 5
    Victor Butler (Oregon State) - Round 4 - Round 6

    CBs
    Malcolm Jenkins (Ohio State) - Early - Mid Round 1
    Kevin Barnes (Maryland) - Early Round 3 - Round 4

    S
    Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest) - Late Round 2 - Round 3



    Any more that I've missed?


    i was so stoke they brought in mike thomas. but i still feel he wont go in the third. this WR class is super deep....i think we could get him with our 4th rd pick.....but ya never know he is elite in my opinion his route running and hands are excellent, and his ability to break from the line and seperate is good as well. plus like you said he is a dynamic return man

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lusby, Maryland
    Posts
    4,349
    Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    The real question is will the Broncos actually draft any of the players they bring in...so much of this stuff are smoke screens.

    BTW, let me go on record as saying I LOVE Donald Brown, and have all along. To me, he has so many similarities to Emmitt Smith, it's scary. He is tough, extremely durable, smart, a great character kid and is a great cutback runner.

    I worry New England is going to make a move for him, because if they get him with everything else they have on Offense, you can go ahead and mail the next Lombardi trophy to Foxborough now.

    Donald Brown is that good.

    yes he is but in recent mocks he has been shown at our pick. Matt mguire from walter has him going to us in teh second rd.....never know...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,388
    Nice thread MUG, guess it's time to start working out QB's as well!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,612
    Was looking through KFFL, found visits scheduled/happened for:

    DE/LB Cody Brown
    QB Curtis Painter
    TE Richard Quinn

    Added em to the list.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Back in the Garden again!
    Posts
    4,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I view these private, and often relatively secret, personal workouts as very, very telling in what our team is interested in. I don't put a massive amount of stock in which individual prospect comes because they could always have bombed the workout, and thus be off our board. What I greatly value is the positions we are focusing on, and the draft value of the prospects at those positions, if there is a consensus.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindField View Post
    The real question is will the Broncos actually draft any of the players they bring in...so much of this stuff are smoke screens.
    I've been wondering whether the approach to draft prospects is significantly different this year than in years under Shanny's tenure. Shanny was so paranoid that his hand would get tipped that he wouldn't even look a player's way if he really wanted them. Is the X-man and McD approaching things from a different perspective, or are these personal workout guys just smokescreens like Mindfield points out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
    FF is awesome!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER!
    Posts
    4,259
    Hmm how peculiar...

    We might just take a RB at 12...
    Signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



TRUSTe Certified Privacy Seal