Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    Here's his exact quote that *ahem* "didn't even mention" McDaniels. I bolded it for effect.

    Now, the reason I left the rest of it in there is because I wanted to point out that it was McD's decision to go with the 3-4. A lot of people were against it because we supposedly didn't have the people to do it. We only had, pretty much all of the people mentioned in the original post.

    And when McD drafted Moreno instead of a front 7 player, everyone was so upset because we only had the people mentioned in the original post.

    Now McD looks like McGeeeenius!

    To not give McDaniels any credit in what's happened with this team reveals a blind-spot. That's why I didn't read it. Why would anyone want to read an analysis from a blind man?
    For someone who can't read, you sure post a lot!

    I refuse to get into a pointless argument about McDaniels. He hasn't done anything wrong with his coaching. This thread isn't about him. Stop hijacking it into a pointless argument about whether he deserves more or less credit!

    It's Nolan's defense. He deserves credit and he's going to get it from around the league, regardless if the people on this board want to get into a pissing match over personalities.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    I posted an evaluation of what players have done so far on defense. I would have hoped some more people would chime in with some evaluations of their own by now!

    I left out the backups, and an analysis of them would be welcome. Daryl Reid stands out for instance as a backup who has significantly contributed. Darcel McBath might be another.

    Who has been paying attention to which players have made significant plays and contributions?

    Who has disagreements over my evaluations of the starters?

    Comments?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I posted an evaluation of what players have done so far on defense. I would have hoped some more people would chime in with some evaluations of their own by now!

    I left out the backups, and an analysis of them would be welcome. Daryl Reid stands out for instance as a backup who has significantly contributed. Darcel McBath might be another.

    Who has been paying attention to which players have made significant plays and contributions?

    Who has disagreements over my evaluations of the starters?

    Comments?
    I have a question.

    It seems as though you feel that McDaniels deserves little if any credit for turning this team around? Sure, the offense isn't scoring 30 PPG, but they have only turned the ball over 1 time in 3 games.

    Just wondering how much credit you are giving him for this, since I know that you vastly criticized him in the offseason.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by iowabronco24 View Post
    I have a question.

    It seems as though you feel that McDaniels deserves little if any credit for turning this team around? Sure, the offense isn't scoring 30 PPG, but they have only turned the ball over 1 time in 3 games.

    Just wondering how much credit you are giving him for this, since I know that you vastly criticized him in the offseason.
    I criticized him for PLAYER PERSONNEL decisions and DRAFTING decisions, NOT coaching decisions! I refuse to get into an argument with you about McDaniels!

    If you insist on posting in this thread, contribute something USEFUL about EVALUATING THE DEFENSE AND DEFENSIVE PLAYERS!

    And stop trying to hijack the thread into an argument about McDaniels. That's NOT what this thread is about!

    I've provided my list of players and an evaluation of their contributions. What have YOU got to offer?

    P.S. I didn't evaluate the offense at all. That would be an entire other thread. If you want to do such an evaluation feel free! (There have been other such threads recently, so I felt it a bit redundant).
    Last edited by Cugel; 09-28-2009 at 04:53 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I criticized him for PLAYER PERSONNEL decisions and DRAFTING decisions, NOT coaching decisions! I refuse to get into an argument with you about McDaniels!

    If you insist on posting in this thread, contribute something USEFUL about EVALUATING THE DEFENSE AND DEFENSIVE PLAYERS!

    And stop trying to hijack the thread into an argument about McDaniels. That's NOT what this thread is about!

    I've provided my list of players and an evaluation of their contributions. What have YOU got to offer?
    Nothing, I agree with everything you said except for one part in your thread where you did mention McDaniels (I think you know what I mean). And if your going to call me out for "hijacking" a thread, maybe you should reword your post so that I couldn't do this. Its not like I brought up McDaniels name out of thin air here. If you can't see that, then I'm sorry, get rid of that part of your post.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    7,073
    Listening to XM on my way to work yesterday (OAK feed), I know ELVIS has arrived when it was a 3rd and long (obvious passing situation) and the announcer said: "Better know where Elvis is."

    Yeah baby!

    As HUGE as Fields has been to hold the system together (nuts and bolts), as magnetic and inspiring a guy like Dawkins is; The re-emergence of a legit rushing OLB like Elvis has done wonders to make this all work (3-4 scheme).

    The offense simply has to fear a player. WHY? The key to the 3-4 is disguising who you are sending. The rush could be coming from anywere. NOW, if you sprinkle in the fact that you have to also identify where a specific player is (Elvis).... Well, it gives the 3-4 scheme that extra spice which makes its deception that much more lethal.

    SO.... Champ finally has some help!

    Fields is doing the dirty work; Dawkins brought accountability and leadership; and Elvis rounded out the package.

    Davis & DJ have stuck their helmets into the mix and delivered the goods; and the MIA boys (Hill, Goodman & Holliday) brought this unit to another level.

    What more can you really say? What until LeKevin returns (Thomas, Mcbean & Smith provide excellent depth to the DL rotation).

    I look fwd to see what Baker can do when he gets his chance; if Moss will be heard from again; and just how Ayers develops during the course of this season (and beyond).

    Finally, I have to add.... The brilliance of our draft plan, to fortify our secondary with quality prospects (Smith, Mcbath & Burton) that will be ready to take over from our aging DBs.... They get 2 years to serve as understudies, and then will be ready to step up and fill in. PLUS, how valuable is it to learn from Champ, Dawkins, Hill & Goodman.

    I know this.... UNLESS we're beset with injuries... we wont be giving up 40-50 points to anybody; and there will be no DEC swoons around here. This team is tough and experienced!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    17,689
    Wow Cugel... You actually gave Ronald Fields a positive review.

    A complete 180 from the way you ragged on him like a 2 cent whore before the preseason started.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,869
    19-0 was not a fluke. Neither is 62-16 through week 3.

    This team is still finding their stride and will actually get better. Scary thought.


  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Wow Cugel... You actually gave Ronald Fields a positive review.

    A complete 180 from the way you ragged on him like a 2 cent whore before the preseason started.
    B.S.! I called him a "career backup" which is precisely true. NOTHING in his previous career suggested he'd come out and be any better than he was for years in S.F. -- which was mediocre at best.

    I just admitted in this thread that I mis-evaluated him. What the Hell more do you want?

    Some players change cities and are given a chance and blossom. But, Nolan was the head coach in S.F. which means that if Fields had shown something there he should have gotten more playing time. I don't know what happened there and why he wasn't able to do more in S.F.

    Still, it's nice to see a player come here and EXCEED expectations for a change! So often it's the reverse (Dre Bly come on down! You too Travis Henry, Daryl Gardner and Dale Carter)!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Listening to XM on my way to work yesterday (OAK feed), I know ELVIS has arrived when it was a 3rd and long (obvious passing situation) and the announcer said: "Better know where Elvis is."

    Yeah baby!

    As HUGE as Fields has been to hold the system together (nuts and bolts), as magnetic and inspiring a guy like Dawkins is; The re-emergence of a legit rushing OLB like Elvis has done wonders to make this all work (3-4 scheme).

    The offense simply has to fear a player. WHY? The key to the 3-4 is disguising who you are sending. The rush could be coming from anywere. NOW, if you sprinkle in the fact that you have to also identify where a specific player is (Elvis).... Well, it gives the 3-4 scheme that extra spice which makes its deception that much more lethal.

    SO.... Champ finally has some help!

    Fields is doing the dirty work; Dawkins brought accountability and leadership; and Elvis rounded out the package.

    Davis & DJ have stuck their helmets into the mix and delivered the goods; and the MIA boys (Hill, Goodman & Holliday) brought this unit to another level.

    What more can you really say? What until LeKevin returns (Thomas, Mcbean & Smith provide excellent depth to the DL rotation).

    I look fwd to see what Baker can do when he gets his chance; if Moss will be heard from again; and just how Ayers develops during the course of this season (and beyond).

    Finally, I have to add.... The brilliance of our draft plan, to fortify our secondary with quality prospects (Smith, Mcbath & Burton) that will be ready to take over from our aging DBs.... They get 2 years to serve as understudies, and then will be ready to step up and fill in. PLUS, how valuable is it to learn from Champ, Dawkins, Hill & Goodman.

    I know this.... UNLESS we're beset with injuries... we wont be giving up 40-50 points to anybody; and there will be no DEC swoons around here. This team is tough and experienced!
    You're right of course. Dumervil's emergence as a serious pass-rush threat gives this team something they haven't had since they let Bert Berry and Reggie Hayward go via FA. We've had 5 long years of not having a single serous pass-rush threat outside Dumervil. With the 3-4 they can't really key on him the way they could when he was lined up at DE. He can move around, move inside, rush from the edge, drop back in coverage, etc.

    If Ayers ever emerges as another pass-rush threat, that will make it that much harder for teams to scheme the Broncos defense. I'd like to see that.

    Overall, it's tough to see this defense collapsing the way they did in 2006 later in the season. NO big giveaways. The secondary is too good to give up 40 points in a game this year (IMO).

    Unless they are decimated by injury I would be amazed to see even ONE game like the Chargers game last year where they're just blown out. No blowouts is a nice change!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8,243
    I didnt see any thoughts on Marcus Thomas ...It seems he is getting a healthy amount of snaps .....

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Locker #55
    Posts
    5,024
    nice write up but everyone is right in this thread . the sooner you eat your crow the better then maybe your thread wouldnt be jacked
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    161
    I agree with the OP's opinions on the defensive personel, but throwing in the sentence discrediting Mcdaniels was adolescent at best. And then to complain when people bring it up, well..
    You can't insult the head coach and expect intelligent discussion on the parts of your post that you want to discuss

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I criticized him for PLAYER PERSONNEL decisions and DRAFTING decisions, NOT coaching decisions!
    you do realize McDaniels not only got rid of the weak links on defense, but also DRAFTED and signed PERSONNEL for the DEFENSE, as well as getting Nolan on board don't you?

    you do realize those players that has made the defense so dominant thus far was, unfortunately for you, a direct result of Josh McDaniels?

    your thinly veiled thread reaks of McDaniels hate.

    gotta get over it man.
    its been months..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



TRUSTe Certified Privacy Seal