Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Orton Can Throw DEEP: The Myth Busted

People are still trotting out the belief Orton can throw deep (thread)

In response I've put together the following stats (using ESPN's accurate data tracking throwing ranges) to expose the truth once and for all. This wasn't a quick endevour, but worth it to show those who insist he can are just plain wrong. Let alone those who say he's one of the best deep throwers in football (I mean, come ON).

The top 14 QB's (Every QB up to Orton), by rating, last year.
    Their attempts/accuracy on balls thrown 30+ yards the last two seasons.
    Code:
    PLAYER	COMP	ATT		PERC (%)
    Brees	21	50		42
    Favre	11	42		26
    Rivers	21	53		40
    Rodgers	18	51		35
    Roeth'	13	43		30
    Peyton	13	54		24
    Schaub	10	26		38
    Romo	20	59		34
    Brady	7	27		26
    Warner	11	28		39
    Eli	12	41		29
    McNabb	11	42		26
    Flacco	14	56		25
    ORTON	4	22		18
    (In case I get accused of cherryy-picking) for his career Orton is even worse
    7/48, for 14.5%

I won't even go in to the fact that of almost half of his 7 career 30+ completions came last year (3). Two were blown coverages in the same game to Marshall, and one was freak of the century, and a horribly thrown ball, in Week 1.

Truth is Orton has one of the worst deep balls in the game. He simply is almost incapable of completing a deep ball to a receiver who is NFL-open.

He has worse deep numbers than almost every starting Quarterback in the league (MUCH worse than most). If it wasn't for his last year flukes he would clearly shown to be what he is, about the worst deep thrower that you're ever likely to see in an NFL game.

Anyone still want to insist he can throw deep well?
    Last edited by JohnShaft; 04-07-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Headings

Attempts and Completions are in reverse order. Plus, it should be sorted by % completed or yards per completion.

But....back to your point.....Orton doesn't have a deep ball. That's why he is a good fit for McD's dink and dunk system.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnShaft View Post

In response I've put together the following stats (using ESPN's accurate data tracking throwing ranges) to expose the truth once and for all. This wasn't a quick endevour, but worth it to show those who insist he can are just plain wrong. Let alone those who say he's one of the best deep throwers in football (I mean, come ON).

Code:
    PLAYER	ATT	COMP		PERC (%)
    Brees	21	50		42
    Favre	11	42		26
    Rivers	21	53		40
    Rodgers	18	51		35
    Roeth'	13	43		30
    Peyton	13	54		24
    Schaub	10	26		38
    Romo	20	59		34
    Brady	7	27		26
    Warner	11	28		39
    Eli	12	41		29
    McNabb	11	42		26
    Flacco	14	56		25
    ORTON	4	22		18
    7/48, for 14.5%

I won't even go in to the fact that of almost half of his 7 career 30+ completions came last year (3). Two were blown coverages in the same game to Marshall, and one was freak of the century, and a horribly thrown ball, in Week 1.

Truth is Orton has one of the worst deep balls in the game. He simply is almost incapable of completing a deep ball to a receiver who is NFL-open.

He has worse deep numbers than almost every starting Quarterback in the league (MUCH worse than most). If it wasn't for his last year flukes he would clearly shown to be what he is, about the worst deep thrower that you're ever likely to see in an NFL game.

I know KO is a joke!!!!
    Nice work on the stats...I think you have your ATT and COMP switched!

Quote Originally Posted by Boltheads View Post
    Attempts and Completions are in reverse order. Plus, it should be sorted by % completed or yards per completion.
    Thanks, I changed the headings over.

I thought about sorting by comp %, but you can see how plain it is this way. I'm not taking the most accurate thrower, just the highest rated players from last year (up to and including Kyle Orton).

And MANY of your brethren insist he can throw deep. Some that he does it excellently. Others that he's better than Brady, Manning ansd Rivers at it...

Orton completed two throws with the ball sailing 30+ yards to Marshall against Washington, another one to Marshall against New York and one to Lloyd against Kansas City. 4 throws that I remember without having to dig deeper into game tape. Are you saying that these are the 4 throws that Orton completed in 2 seasons with the ball sailing 30+ yards?

EDIT: Orton completed another one to R. Davis against Atlanta, the ball was thrown from the 27 yard line and caught at least 7 yards deep in the end zone. So, the stats presented are wrong. I already counted 5 completions.

EDIT 2: Not to mention drops by the WRs like the one from Hester against New Orleans and the one from Marshall against Cincinnati. They were throws that sailed 30+ yards and were catchable balls.
    Last edited by Roddoliver; 04-07-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Cool. I totally new that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Orton completed two throws with the ball sailing 30+ yards to Marshall against Washington, another one to Marshall against New York and one to Lloyd against Kansas City. 4 throws that I remember without having to dig deeper into game tape. Are you saying that these are the 4 throws that Orton completed in 2 seasons with the ball sailing 30+ yards?
    Lloyd had a couple of long catches against KC, one was the one that put us on the goal line and the other(along the sideline), if it wasnt 30 yards, it had to have been damn close

I've never been one to argue that Orton is great deep. Then again, he doesn't necessarily have to be great deep. Brady isn't great deep either, and that's the prototype for this offense. The more important issues is passes 10-15y down field. They're what you need to get cooking in order to move the chains reliably, and that's where Orton and the receiving core need to improve.

Oh and, LOL @
    ESPN's accurate data

Obvious. He's a game manager

Raiders @ Broncos 9-30-12

Thank you for that fresh take, Captain Redundancy!

Do you have any other points that you want to repeat for the 34th time?

Oh wait, sorry. I forgot you don't have anything else to say except bashing Orton.

Back at it, sir.

I adopt andrewmlb.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnShaft View Post

Code:
    PLAYER	COMP	ATT		PERC (%)
    Brees	21	50		42
    Favre	11	42		26
    Rivers	21	53		40
    Rodgers	18	51		35
    Roeth'	13	43		30
    Peyton	13	54		24
    Schaub	10	26		38
    Romo	20	59		34
    Brady	7	27		26
    Warner	11	28		39
    Eli	12	41		29
    McNabb	11	42		26
    Flacco	14	56		25
    ORTON	4	22		18
    7/48, for 14.5%

You didnt expose anything but the fact that you were wrong .

Espn only has the stats in the splits up to Colts game .

You are wrong and its pretty sad that you did all of this in rebuttal of something and was still wrong .

In addition to the throws Roddoliver mention Orton also hit Scheff deep against Oakland

You should be embarrassed I doubt it though because haters dont feel embarrassment
    "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83

You're not counting from the line of scrimmage.

Point remains utterly unless ESPN have set Orton up to look way worse than everyone else?...
    :orton:

Quote Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
    I've never been one to argue that Orton is great deep. Then again, he doesn't necessarily have to be great deep. Brady isn't great deep either, and that's the prototype for this offense. The more important issues is passes 10-15y down field. They're what you need to get cooking in order to move the chains reliably, and that's where Orton and the receiving core need to improve.
    I thought the same thing. The chart shows that Brady had 3 more completions and 5 more attempts than Orton.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
    You do watch football.....right?