View Poll Results: Do you believe that Brian Dawkins is one of the top five safeties in the league?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 61.63%
  • No

30 34.88%
  • Undecided

3 3.49%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Top five safeties

Do you believe that Brian Dawkins is one of the top five safeties in the league?

Rod Woodson doesn’t…
    Adopter - theMileHighGuy

Adopted Bronco - Matt Prater

Shout outs to BroncoSexyDaddy, theMileHighGuy and sbxxxiichamps!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Do you believe that Brian Dawkins is one of the top five safeties in the league?

Rod Woodson doesn’t…
    Yea everything he brings to the table.

Team Tebow #267

with all the broncos gained to all the eagles lost yeah, Dawkins was an important part of our D he may not have a brust but he is still very good

Top 5 no. That is a very strong group with guys that take the ball away from the offense and change games. But Dawkins is still good and makes a lot of tackles, though I missed his sacks and forced fumbles. We just need McBath to keep playing well so Dawkins gets the needed rest during the season.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I love Dawk, he's great. I just think he might have lost a step. Top 5? maybe not. Top 10? Yes!
    Thanks Blondie79!
    All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
    Team Tebow #15

Adopted NFL Player:
    "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

Dawkins IS a top 5 safety and here's why.

1. His leadership. he has really turned our defense around. he has very motavational speeches.

2. His tackling. Sure he does miss tackles at times, but who doesnt? he lead the broncos with tackles in 116 this season and he's still a hard hitter. look at this hit for example: Video

3. He Is pretty good in coverage. he may not get 6-10 interceptions/season, but he's also shutdown. our whole secondary was shut down of WR's. John Lynch sucked in coverage. Dawkins is good at it.

4. HIS LEADERSHIP.

i think they should give jaryius bryd some credit too.

Adopted Broncos: Peyton Manning and Terrance Knighton

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
    Dawkins IS a top 5 safety and here's why.

1. His leadership. he has really turned our defense around. he has very motavational speeches.

2. His tackling. Sure he does miss tackles at times, but who doesnt? he lead the broncos with tackles in 116 this season and he's still a hard hitter. look at this hit for example: Video

3. He Is pretty good in coverage. he may not get 6-10 interceptions/season, but he's also shutdown. our whole secondary was shut down of WR's. John Lynch sucked in coverage. Dawkins is good at it.

4. HIS LEADERSHIP.

i think they should give jaryius bryd some credit too.
    DJ led the team with 122. Dawkins is in now way a shutdown player. He usually does make the tackle after the catch but he is just average as far as pass coverage goes. Top 5 no way, at one time, probably, now? No way.

Ed Reed
    Nick Collins
    Polamalu
    Sharper
    Adrian Wilson

which of these would dawkins beat out?

He used to be top 5 but isn't at the moment...........He is top 10 though and is still a force in this league!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5-6 years ago, yes, he would be considered top 5. Now he's top 10 at the most. He's obviously lost a step or two compared to his earlier years in Philly.

And just no one in rights mind whould rank him over Reed, Byrd, Troy, Atogwe, Sharper, Collins, and all the other concensus top 5-7 safeties. I like him as the 9th or 10th best safety in the league today.
    Last edited by Amari24; 07-12-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Honestly.... Not even close. He is such a one dimensional player at this point in his career. he never had the elite ball skills, but he could cover. Now he is shaky in coverage and really developed more into an in the box safety.
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pride

Dawk is good, and I love having him on our team, but he is nowhere near top 5, maybe not even top 10. But for him to be even top 10 worthy is pretty good considering he is 36-37.

Reed
    Polamalu
    Adrian Wilson
    Nick Collins
    Antrel Rolle
    Darren Sharper
    oj Atogwe
    Bethea
    Meriweather
    Byrd
    Sanders

could all be considered better overall players at this point
    Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
    Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    DJ led the team with 122. Dawkins is in now way a shutdown player. He usually does make the tackle after the catch but he is just average as far as pass coverage goes. Top 5 no way, at one time, probably, now? No way.

Ed Reed
    Nick Collins
    Polamalu
    Sharper
    Adrian Wilson

which of these would dawkins beat out?
    I'd take him over Wilson Collins and easily over sharper
    Signature.

i'm not sure about top 5, but dawkins is the friggin' man

i'm looking for darcel mcbath to snag the other starting spot this year too. that kid showed a lot of promise last season

Nick Collins will probably be the top safety in football this season. Ed Reed will miss games because of hip surgery. Troy Polamalu missed 7 games last season, injuring his knee twice. Their health issues put Collins on top. 28 pass deflections and 13 interceptions (3 returned for touchdowns) in the last two seasons. That's a lot of extra drives for Aaron Rodgers.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I'd take him over Wilson Collins and easily over sharper
    These 3 are easily in the top 5 in the league. Are you telling me you think Dawkins is in the top 3 with Polamalu and Ed Reed? If so, you have got to be kidding me...Sharper I can understand, he and dawkins are about similar. Dawkins is more physical and a better run stopper but Sharper is a better pass stopper. Collins and Wilson are both the total package though and much younger than dawkins. The only reason dawkins had so many tackles was because the front 7 couldn't stop a RB before he got into the secondary. IMO, if you think Dawkins is a better player than either Wilson or Collins than I believe you basing it on Dawkins history and not his current ability level. Collins and Wilson both have the ability to turn the tide of a game. In his prime, so did dawkins. Now he is a very solid player but the best of the best anymore. Dawkins was at the height of his game in 2005 and 2006 but that was 4 years ago.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.