• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caliraiderhater
    Special Teams
    • Apr 2004

Please explain the Drake Nevis hype...

Ok first let me say I'm not nocking the guy. He is just a player who's name I see everywhere on these boards yet know little about. So I am looking for some insight.

Honestly watching highlights of him he seems good but not great. The thing I'm also not a fan of, and again this is based on me judging his book by its cover is he looks like a typical Mike Shanahan DT towards the end of his 4-3 career with the Broncos. Nevis is 6' 1/2" and weighs in around 285-289lbs. I don't know about all of you, however I became sick and tired of watching our smallish DT's continuously get manhandled by the opponents offensive line, and this is in an era where O-lines are becoming HUGE!! So even though he looks good in college is really makes me worry about the type of production he will be able to put up in the NFL.

So I will start with an open mind & my opinion can be swayed either way...
    sigpic
  • THEdraftnik
    Starter
    • Dec 2010

He is a penetrating under tackle. I think he is more like Mike Patterson of the eagles.
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

• johnlimburg
      Ring of Famer
      • Sep 2009

He is a distruptive one gap penetrating up the field under tackle. About his height at 6-1 that is no worry what so ever. Dlineman are required to play with great leverage and at 6-1 he plays with it naturally. Something i really like about brandon mabene from seatle and if he was let into FA I would love to get him.

Nevis is a solid mid second round prospect who I would love to have.

Comment

• berlownacyo7s
        All-Pro
        • Jan 2008

Every LSU game I saw this last season I kept seeing him make plays, so I really don't care about his height or weight.

Comment

• johnlimburg
          Ring of Famer
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
          Every LSU game I saw this last season I kept seeing him make plays, so I really don't care about his height or weight.
          exactly............

Comment

• HUMCALC
            Football Immortal
            • Jan 2011

He played against the toughest competition and made a lot of plays. I'm a big LSU fan and would love to get him and/or Sheppard.
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• Joshecalpoly
              Starter
              • Dec 2005

Besides Wilkerson and Fairley (or arguably Watt) no DT was better at penetrating this year and of those 3 he had the best year last year and had an almost identical season. If we cant trade back or get Fairley he is a good pick in the 2nd.
              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

• Joshecalpoly
                Starter
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                He played against the toughest competition and made a lot of plays. I'm a big LSU fan and would love to get him and/or Sheppard.
                In the 5 games he played against ranked opponents he had 3 TFL's and 1 sack yet he did have 21 tackles, I would not say that his play against ranked players was what makes him special

TFL's against ranked opponents
                Heyward 2.25 TFL's
                Fairley 2.07 TFL's
                Watt 1.83 TFL's
                Liuget 1.5 TFL's
                Dareus 1.17 TFL's

Some of the people on the list are inconsistent and only good against serious competition
                Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 02-19-2011, 10:36 PM.
                2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

• Project KSL
                  Banned User
                  • Sep 2009

Getting the top 3 LSU players would be ideal. PP,Shep, and Nevis.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                    Ring of Famer
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Project KSL View Post
                    Getting the top 3 LSU players would be ideal. PP,Shep, and Nevis.

Except for PP and joseph barksdale

Comment

• Project KSL
                      Banned User
                      • Sep 2009

What? I listed PP....... What are you trying to say?

Comment

• johnlimburg
                        Ring of Famer
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Project KSL View Post
                        What? I listed PP....... What are you trying to say?
                        You said get the 3 best lsu guys. PP, nevis and sheppard. I was just saying dont get pp and get nevis and sheppard and then get LSU OT-Joseph Barksdale

Comment

• Ohenhen12345
                          Practice Squad
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                          SEC hype again.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jun 2007

Personally I don't see him as anything but a nickle DT right now. If he could get to abut 295-300 and not lose any of his quickness/explosion I'd definitely take him but I'm not sure he can do that. I just think he's not strong enough to be an every down DT, even if it's UT, on the NFL level.

Comment

• Southtown
                              Special Teams
                              • Dec 2010

Played in the toughest conference - which happens to be the same as Fairley who has caries a high price tag.

Nevis played well throughout his entire time in college. He has 1/2 the stats that Fairley has (13 TFL, 6 Sacks) but conversely he will come at a better value.

In my eyes he is a player that can be had for a 2nd round pick but one in which you hope to coach him into first round value.

Comment

Working...
                              X