Page 2 of 342 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 5118

Thread: Xbox One

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Land of Corn
    Posts
    13,105
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    2 things, not funny and thats not what there gonna call it, thats just what a rumor say it will be called. In which the rumor of the 720 started 2yrs ago.

    720 was one of many rumored names, along with nexus and others. People just assume that 720 is the most likely name.
    Sorry I forgot how serious you gamers are. God forbid I take a crack at Halo!

    I could give a crap less if they name it 720 or anything else. The joke is funny in the sense that it is so stupid and illogical and I was making a crack at the joke NOT the system.
    Last edited by xX-Bronco-Xx; 03-07-2011 at 09:21 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    58
    I could handle a new Xbox, mine is a first generation and I am actually amazed it has held up as well as it did for all this time....however the PS3 needs to hang around, I have only had mine for a little over a year and dont want to replace it anytime soon!
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]TEAM TEBOW #92[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,532
    If MS chose to use Blu-Ray, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

    Hooray, beer!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    Sorry I forgot how serious you gamers are. God forbid I take a crack at Halo!

    I could give a crap less if they name it 720 or anything else. The joke is funny in the sense that it is so stupid and illogical and I was making a crack at the joke NOT the system.
    I only used 720 because we don't have an offical name for the new XBox, so 720 seems to be the most logical nickname. I guarntee it won't be called 720 though, MS only used 360 so XBox 2 wouldn't sound inferior to PS3.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    If MS chose to use Blu-Ray, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    MS could just make a superior or similar format to Blu-Ray.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    A few things...

    Currently, PS3 is the exclusive gaming system for Blu-ray because they are the only ones that have it. Blu-ray is not a Sony exclusive, because others are not unable to use it if they choose. Microsoft has discussed the possibility of adding peripheral Blu-ray players, and I can't imagine they would say that if the were completely unable to get the licensing.

    They've refrained from doing so at this point because it seems they feel that the future may be in downloadables at least for the near future. I would not be surprised to see the Blu-ray on the next system they come out with, in fact I would be surprised if it were not.

    Second, I thought the 720 was a silly joke, but hardly offensive.

    They will probably call it that during development and then give it a new name closer to launch. I actually thought 360 was not as cool as the development name they used, but I can't remember what it was called. Project Natal sounded cooler to me than Kinnect, though I understand why they changed it.

    If they're looking to start development now, it may be a sign that they don't think that Kinnect has the power to expand the usability of the 360 as they'd hoped. Original quotes said they thought it would double the life of the 360 as a platform... making it last to at least 2015.

    It's possible that this is just the VERY early stages though and it really still is 3-4-5 years off.

    I would expect the system to have Motion capabilities (Kinect or a descendant), Blu-ray, 3D support, wireless built in, expanded browsing capabilities, FURTHER interactivity with a home system...

    That's probably their STARTING plans. They'll change in the next few years.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    MS could just make a superior or similar format to Blu-Ray.
    In theory, even though they 'lost' the war, they could simply use the HD-DVD format they already had in place.

    They probably won't though, for a number of reasons.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Southstander View Post
    So only the PS3 has it. Which means it is an exclusive.
    It's not an exclusive. That's like saying DVD was an exclusive to the PS2 since it was the first system to use it. If the PS3 was the only piece of hardware to use Blu-Ray then it would be an exclusive, but that's not the case. 360 came out in '05, when DVD was still the standard, why would MS use Blu-Ray when no one was familar with it? You should take a look at the BRDA. Microsoft could release a new version of the XBox 360 that uses Blu-Ray, right now if they wanted.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    A few things...

    Currently, PS3 is the exclusive gaming system for Blu-ray because they are the only ones that have it. Blu-ray is not a Sony exclusive, because others are not unable to use it if they choose. Microsoft has discussed the possibility of adding peripheral Blu-ray players, and I can't imagine they would say that if the were completely unable to get the licensing.

    They've refrained from doing so at this point because it seems they feel that the future may be in downloadables at least for the near future. I would not be surprised to see the Blu-ray on the next system they come out with, in fact I would be surprised if it were not.

    Second, I thought the 720 was a silly joke, but hardly offensive.

    They will probably call it that during development and then give it a new name closer to launch. I actually thought 360 was not as cool as the development name they used, but I can't remember what it was called. Project Natal sounded cooler to me than Kinnect, though I understand why they changed it.

    If they're looking to start development now, it may be a sign that they don't think that Kinnect has the power to expand the usability of the 360 as they'd hoped. Original quotes said they thought it would double the life of the 360 as a platform... making it last to at least 2015.

    It's possible that this is just the VERY early stages though and it really still is 3-4-5 years off.

    I would expect the system to have Motion capabilities (Kinect or a descendant), Blu-ray, 3D support, wireless built in, expanded browsing capabilities, FURTHER interactivity with a home system...

    That's probably their STARTING plans. They'll change in the next few years.
    Exactly. Blu-Ray is currently used by 19 other companies, and the BRDA was formed so that other companies can also use the format as well. It's true that it's the only console that uses it right now, but that doesn't make it an exclusive because MS can make the 360 use Blu-Ray whenever they feel like it.

    I think I remeber hearing Sony say they wanted 10 years out of the PS3 before moving on to the PS4, but if MS releases a new console that puts the PS3 to shame, Sony may be forced to put out the PS4.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    I hope not. Once new consoles hit the market the prior ones become obsolete. And I really dont feel like shelling out 500 bucks for a new system.
    Actually, we'd be lucky if the next gen systems cost $500. The PS3 at launch cost $650, and the PS3 is obviously going to be an inferior system to the next gen consoles. The price of the console isn't what you should be worried about, it's the price of the games.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    Exactly. Blu-Ray is currently used by 19 other companies, and the BRDA was formed so that other companies can also use the format as well. It's true that it's the only console that uses it right now, but that doesn't make it an exclusive because MS can make the 360 use Blu-Ray whenever they feel like it.

    I think I remeber hearing Sony say they wanted 10 years out of the PS3 before moving on to the PS4, but if MS releases a new console that puts the PS3 to shame, Sony may be forced to put out the PS4.
    I'm thinking the same thing. 10 years was MS's goal as well. This may be a sign that they're looking to jump the gun a little... or it could just mean that they want to spend a LOT of time in development, and not have any issues out of the gate this time.

    If they do start to look like they're going to release sooner, Sony will be pressed to follow suit.

    I wouldn't be surprised though if it was still a 10 year window for both. The longer lives of these systems allow them to hit a better ROI.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    Actually, we'd be lucky if the next gen systems cost $500. The PS3 at launch cost $650, and the PS3 is obviously going to be an inferior system to the next gen consoles. The price of the console isn't what you should be worried about, it's the price of the games.
    I think there's a ceiling on the price, and they know it. I didn't remember the PS3 being quite that much... but I think it hurt them.

    One of the upsides to console gaming is the cost of a console vs. the cost of a computer. If they push it too hard, they're going to start losing gamers to PCs in larger waves.

    I think they know this, as I'm pretty sure both companies were taking losses on the original sales #s anyway.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I think there's a ceiling on the price, and they know it. I didn't remember the PS3 being quite that much... but I think it hurt them.

    One of the upsides to console gaming is the cost of a console vs. the cost of a computer. If they push it too hard, they're going to start losing gamers to PCs in larger waves.

    I think they know this, as I'm pretty sure both companies were taking losses on the original sales #s anyway.
    Actually I stand corrected, in NA it was $600.

    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/27/a-...got-to-be-600/

    I think it was $650 in some other countries though, and that was just for the 60GB.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    Actually I stand corrected, in NA it was $600.

    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/27/a-...got-to-be-600/
    Yeah, that's right.

    I don't think they try to push it too far past that. I think that's about as much as they could ask... though that may change in a few years... and I remember when I thought that $40 was an awful lot for a new game. Then $50 seemed like the perfect amount, and I didn't think it would ever go up (ok, I knew it would eventually... inflation and all)...

    Still, technologically these systems will probably not be as huge of a jump from their predecessors as last time... CPUs have started to flatten out. Memory has skyrocketed, but that's something else. There may be less of an initial investment from the companies to get these underway... but it's impossible to say.

    All speculation.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ville of Rose, NorCal
    Posts
    17,576
    As far as cost, I'd be surprised if it did go up even with new technology in them. Look at tvs right now. When some of these badass HD DLP LMNOPO with 1080I and PI and STDs came out they were hugely priced! Now, a simple shot of penicillin and $1500 and you've got a great tv.

    I'm calling it now... PSnext and xBoxnext and etc.next will all be at their current system release. Of course... that doesn't factor in the eBay effect in limited supply. I'm talking retail.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •