Page 3 of 342 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 5118

Thread: Xbox One

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,555
    With the way the economy is right now, I really cant see them being over $500. I mean, alot of people shy away from buying games cause they cost $60 now. imagine in 3-4 years when the economy could get worse what the price would be then.
    Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,091
    When it comes to price, I really see it at $400 bucks. Because of the economy, and other reasons, they wont make the price to high, because if they did, it would kinda be like the PS3 when it first came out.

    Allot of people was not buying the PS3 at first because of how high the price was, then Sony made different GB and lowered the prices, people started buying it.

    All 3 companies will look at every little thing about each console(360,Wii, PS3), see what was positives and negative about them, then fix the issues, while adding stuff.

    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    I don't think the current economy will dictate what they'll do in price. I do think lessons learned from PS3 has a bigger impact.

    These still likely won't come out for a few years... not tomorrow. The economy is hard to predict that far out, but bets are that it will be stronger.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver.
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    MS could just make a superior or similar format to Blu-Ray.
    Really? If it's that easy, why haven't they done it already?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    I think I remeber hearing Sony say they wanted 10 years out of the PS3 before moving on to the PS4, but if MS releases a new console that puts the PS3 to shame, Sony may be forced to put out the PS4.
    Well, the reason MS has to make a new one sooner than planned is because at the end of the day, the PS3 is king of the current market. In order to stay competitive and not become "the other console" in the gaming market, XBox essentially has to make a new system.

    Sony... not so much.

    Both MS and Sony had planned for these consoles to last at least 10 years, if not longer. That was the goal for both companies. Sony's PS3 appears to be up to the task, but at the end of the day the 360 just doesn't really have what it takes to do that.

    That's why MS needs a new one.

    They sell the consoles at a loss. Did you know that? Both MS and Sony pay more to make their consoles than it costs us to buy them. They make the money back on the game sales.

    It is NOT a financially sound idea to go back and make new consoles as often as possible. That costs them a TON of money. MicroSoft is doing this because they have to, not because they want to.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,874
    I remember hearing an interview from both Sony and MS that they wanted to get as much time out of this gen of systems as they could. Developing new systems every few years isn't financially smart.

    As to why MS doesn't put Blu Ray or develop one of their own, it is because they tried to. MS backed HD-DVD and it was crushed by Blu Ray so I doubt they will try to make their own again. As to them putting Blu Ray on the xbox, that would be kinda nice, but I could see them expanding on what they have with Netflix currently and just make HD movies stream-able.


    Honestly though, the only thing I want on the new system will be whats in it, as in the parts. If I have to go through multiple systems and warranties because of cheap parts and craftsmanship again I'll flip out.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Really? If it's that easy, why haven't they done it already?



    Well, the reason MS has to make a new one sooner than planned is because at the end of the day, the PS3 is king of the current market. In order to stay competitive and not become "the other console" in the gaming market, XBox essentially has to make a new system.

    Sony... not so much.

    Both MS and Sony had planned for these consoles to last at least 10 years, if not longer. That was the goal for both companies. Sony's PS3 appears to be up to the task, but at the end of the day the 360 just doesn't really have what it takes to do that.

    That's why MS needs a new one.

    They sell the consoles at a loss. Did you know that? Both MS and Sony pay more to make their consoles than it costs us to buy them. They make the money back on the game sales.

    It is NOT a financially sound idea to go back and make new consoles as often as possible. That costs them a TON of money. MicroSoft is doing this because they have to, not because they want to.
    Well, it's speculation as to when the next system may come out. This could all be pre-planning, and if I remember right, the 360 was in development for 2-3 years. That doesn't put them that far off the pace of their original goal. We won't be seeing a new system next year.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-9020_7-743.html

    This is the most recent comparison I found in a brief search. It scored the PS3 at 4.1 to 4.06 over the 360. They're not getting killed. There's a slight difference in preference mainly, but that's about it.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver.
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Well, it's speculation as to when the next system may come out. This could all be pre-planning, and if I remember right, the 360 was in development for 2-3 years. That doesn't put them that far off the pace of their original goal. We won't be seeing a new system next year.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-9020_7-743.html

    This is the most recent comparison I found in a brief search. It scored the PS3 at 4.1 to 4.06 over the 360. They're not getting killed. There's a slight difference in preference mainly, but that's about it.
    I concede your point. I'd also add in a reminder about how poorly the 360 did in terms of reliability when it first came out however, and what some of its limitations are.

    It's entirely possible that the PS3 exceeds the "ten year window" they had hoped it would, while the 360 likely will not, simply because of system limitations.

    Maybe not too. Both of these consoles are capable of running the most high-end games currently on the market. The game publishers have yet to truly challenge the capabilities of either of these two systems yet.

    I mean bugs and just bad coding that consumes enormous system resources aside of course.

    A well-written game that functions sleekly yet still challenges the limits of these two systems?

    None exist yet.

    It may be quite a while before that changes too, and really that's in everyone's best interests probably. Sony and MS don't want to have to make new consoles. Gamers don't want to have to buy them. Programmers don't want to have to learn them.

    The current systems are ahead of the product the game developers can put out. For right now, they're not even near their top capacity. It could be quite a while before they are too.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,996
    Xbox is king in my book. Ill never go back to Sony's systems. Blu-Ray or no blu-ray. Buy American!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I concede your point. I'd also add in a reminder about how poorly the 360 did in terms of reliability when it first came out however, and what some of its limitations are.

    It's entirely possible that the PS3 exceeds the "ten year window" they had hoped it would, while the 360 likely will not, simply because of system limitations.

    Maybe not too. Both of these consoles are capable of running the most high-end games currently on the market. The game publishers have yet to truly challenge the capabilities of either of these two systems yet.

    I mean bugs and just bad coding that consumes enormous system resources aside of course.

    A well-written game that functions sleekly yet still challenges the limits of these two systems?

    None exist yet.

    It may be quite a while before that changes too, and really that's in everyone's best interests probably. Sony and MS don't want to have to make new consoles. Gamers don't want to have to buy them. Programmers don't want to have to learn them.

    The current systems are ahead of the product the game developers can put out. For right now, they're not even near their top capacity. It could be quite a while before they are too.
    I don't think the 360 is as limited as people think. While the system isn't as powerful as the PS3, the 360 has yet to be pushed to it's max imo. If you look at the specs, you would see that the 360 has a better GPU than the PS3, and keeps better framerate, imagine if the 360 was using Blu-Ray, and wasn't limited to DVD.

    Killzone 3 right now is the only game that shows how good the PS3 can look, and even Killzone 3 didn't push PS3 to it's max. I think we'll have to wait for Uncharted 3 before we can see the best looking console game ever made. If you look on the 360 side, Gears 3 looks pretty good, but I don't think that's the 360 at it's best.

    The thing we should be looking at are the games. Right now the 360's exclusive list is a JOKE. It has Gears 3... and that's it. If MS doesn't put out some better exclusives, I don't think the 360 lasts for more than 3-5 years, because right now, the PS3 is killing the 360 when it comes to exclusives.

    I think the best way to go without making a new system is put out offical parts, so that the consumer can upgrade their console. Let's say if Microsoft decided to release their own offical parts, GPUs, RAM, etc.. to let gamers upgrade their system. Kinda like how companies are releasing their own hardware so gamers can improve their gaming PCs without buying new ones. They need to make consoles more "PC like" so it has no limitations.
    Last edited by Amari24; 03-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    9,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Really? If it's that easy, why haven't they done it already?



    Well, the reason MS has to make a new one sooner than planned is because at the end of the day, the PS3 is king of the current market. In order to stay competitive and not become "the other console" in the gaming market, XBox essentially has to make a new system.

    Sony... not so much.

    Both MS and Sony had planned for these consoles to last at least 10 years, if not longer. That was the goal for both companies. Sony's PS3 appears to be up to the task, but at the end of the day the 360 just doesn't really have what it takes to do that.

    That's why MS needs a new one.

    They sell the consoles at a loss. Did you know that? Both MS and Sony pay more to make their consoles than it costs us to buy them. They make the money back on the game sales.

    It is NOT a financially sound idea to go back and make new consoles as often as possible. That costs them a TON of money. MicroSoft is doing this because they have to, not because they want to.
    They haven't done it because they don't need to yet. It's not like they're going to be releasing a new system next year or the year after that. Look at it this way.. if Microsoft's new XBox only supports DVD, they're going to be in big trouble against Sony, and possibly Nintendo, depending on what they plan on doing.

    Their next system HAS to include Blu-Ray, or something that looks just as good, because right now, the PS3's games look far better than anything on the 360.
    Last edited by Amari24; 03-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    2,682
    I was flipping through an old comic book from the 90's and saw an ad for Street Fighter II Turbo for SNES, and it said "Now on sales at Toys R Us for $75"



    Obviously there was a spike...and then someone came to their senses. I also remember my friend working ALLLL summer mowing lawns to buy 3 N64 games at $70 a pop....software went nuts in the 90's...$60 is still too high for some games, and perfect for others...

    Sorry I jst chimed in with my two cents on the price aspect of games, continue and ignore me

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Amari24 View Post
    I don't think the 360 is as limited as people think. While the system isn't as powerful as the PS3, the 360 has yet to be pushed to it's max imo. If you look at the specs, you would see that the 360 has a better GPU than the PS3, and keeps better framerate, imagine if the 360 was using Blu-Ray, and wasn't limited to DVD.

    Killzone 3 right now is the only game that shows how good the PS3 can look, and even Killzone 3 didn't push PS3 to it's max. I think we'll have to wait for Uncharted 3 before we can see the best looking console game ever made. If you look on the 360 side, Gears 3 looks pretty good, but I don't think that's the 360 at it's best.

    The thing we should be looking at are the games. Right now the 360's exclusive list is a JOKE. It has Gears 3... and that's it. If MS doesn't put out some better exclusives, I don't think the 360 lasts for more than 3-5 years, because right now, the PS3 is killing the 360 when it comes to exclusives.

    I think the best way to go without making a new system is put out offical parts, so that the consumer can upgrade their console. Let's say if Microsoft decided to release their own offical parts, GPUs, RAM, etc.. to let gamers upgrade their system. Kinda like how companies are releasing their own hardware so gamers can improve their gaming PCs without buying new ones. They need to make consoles more "PC like" so it has no limitations.
    The article I posted had the PS3 graphics slightly better on their exclusives, but 360's graphics better on port games... but they also had the 360 at a slight edge (as of last summer) in exclusives, but swinging back to Sony.

    I did start to wonder if Microsoft was losing though as some would say... but I ran across this today...

    Xbox bigwig Aaron Greenberg tweeted today that Microsoft has sold 10 million Kinect units and 10 million Kinect games. The news comes a little over a month after Microsoft announced it had sold 8 million units.

    The sales pace of the Kinect isn't just fast, it's apparently record breaking. Guinness World Records announced today that the Kinect is the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronic Device" of all time. The device sold an average of 133,333 units per day in its first 60 days (starting Nov. 4, 2010). Shockingly, the pace was reportedly faster than that of the iPhone or iPad for the equivalent period.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/09/mi...ct-games-sold/

    I don't think they're in too serious of trouble as of yet.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,024
    An anonymous reader writes "What has been clear from this year's Game Developers Conference is that consoles are beginning to show their age. With nothing beyond a possible Nintendo update on the horizon, developers at this year's GDC have turned their eyes to the PC. The article includes three videos that give a fantastic insight into where PC graphics are headed, including a version of Epic's Unreal engine, Crytek's Cryengine 3, and DICE's Frostbite 2 engine. Considering that these leaps in eye candy are only possible with the current state of PC graphics, we wonder how long consoles will be the target platform for development of blockbuster games."
    Then again, I found this nugget minutes later. It leads to this link... I can't get it to open at the moment on my crappy internet.

    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/2...t-of-date.aspx

    Al was talking the other day about how we've pretty much maxed out resolution... but we can still push the limits by putting more and more objects (and more detailed ones) into that resolution at one time. Consoles can't afford to fall too far behind PCs for very long. This could end up being what pushes the consoles to move forward in the end.

    Even if all companies were to start development right now for the next gen... they still would have gotten more out of the current gen than previous iterations. Not as much as they'd hoped... but still more. Though as I've said... it could STILL be 2015 before the PS4 and 720 come out.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,150
    Just because they're hiring now does not mean anything in terms of a timeline in my opinion.

    Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray was developed by a consortium of different companies, Sony is just the only company that uses BD discs as their video game format. Interestingly enough, the SMPTE 421M video codec aka VC-1 which is used for many Blu-Ray titles and supported by the PS3 was created by Microsoft.

    The only reason I would see Microsoft implementing Blu-Ray is for video game use. I think when the next generation consoles are released, people will still be purchasing physical copies of video games and games will undoubtedly be larger in size. I believe that all other media will be delivered via internet connection though. Today, streaming services are more popular than ever and I do not see this changing. I easily stream HD content on my 360 and PC each and every day. The same could be down with downloadable video games but not everyone has the capability to download potentially a 50GB game in the future. I can download 7GB in 90 minutes or so, I don't think I would want to wait to download a 50GB game at this point in time. Some areas of the country still do not have broadband internet.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,150
    In regards to people saying that Microsoft is worried that Kinect isn't popular or has a long staying power. I think this little tidbit may change that...if they keep producing quality games for the Kinect.

    Microsoft: 10 million Kinect units, Kinect games sold

    Xbox bigwig Aaron Greenberg tweeted today that Microsoft has sold 10 million Kinect units and 10 million Kinect games. The news comes a little over a month after Microsoft announced it had sold 8 million units.

    The sales pace of the Kinect isn't just fast, it's apparently record breaking. Guinness World Records announced today that the Kinect is the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronic Device" of all time. The device sold an average of 133,333 units per day in its first 60 days (starting Nov. 4, 2010). Shockingly, the pace was reportedly faster than that of the iPhone or iPad for the equivalent period.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/09/mi...ct-games-sold/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •