Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Contracts Dictated which QB Started

Lost in all of our fan hoopla about the idea of these QBs competing to start was the inevitable fact that Tebow was not going to start. No chance, was never going to happen. And here's the factual contract data as to why:

Written into Tebow's contract is this qualifier "Tebow's contract DOUBLES from 11.25 million to 22.50 million if he plays 55% of the time in TWO of his first three seasons".

Meanwhile, Orton's contract this season? 9 Million, 6 million guaranteed. So, since no team would trade for Orton at franchise player money, and since Orton refused to renegotiate his contract, the only remaining option was to cut him and pay the 6 million. We weren't going to bench him and pay 9 million.

So, this was the dilemma, pay Orton millions and millions to not play AND double Tebow's contract, or keep Tebow on the bench and not hitting escalators while getting something for the 6 million you owe Orton no matter what.

And you have to wonder about Tebow's future here due to his contract. A contract signed before the rookie wage scale. If Tebow plays 70% of the snaps in 2013, his contract doubles to 22.5 million and if the team makes multiple playoffs under Tebow and he achieves leaguewide awards his contract triples to 33 million.

Meanwhile, the #1 overall selection this year, Cam Newton's contract? 4 Years, 22 million. Andrew Luck is looking at the same deal. And there are 3-4 other QBs likely to go in the Top 20 in the next draft for much cheaper deals in the strongest QB draft in quite some time.

And what about Brady Quinn you might ask? Well, if he plays 70% of our snaps, his contract goes from 700,000 to 6.6 million due to a 5.9 million escalator bonus.

Do you think this was a fair QB competition? Hell no. Orton was never not going to start. Not with Bowlen in a financial crises and unable to even make waiver claims because of financial concerns. Let alone not even being competitive on the open free agent market. We weren't going to pay Orton millions not to play.

We have this big Quinn versus Tebow versus Orton debate, and there probably was a true battle for the #2 spot (which we laughingly refused to name), but there was never a competition for the #1 spot. Finances dictated that. Period.

So if you wonder why Tebow or Quinn didn't play with the starters, or Orton with the 2nd team, this is why. The team knew what direction it was going months and months ago despite telling us it was a competition. Lying has been standard for the front office this offseason despite declarations of openness. Sure they tried to trade Orton's albatross of a contract, but no team was taking that unless Kyle re-negotiated and he made it clear he would not absent a pricy long term deal. Nobody in the NFL wants to give him that. And as for all the chatter about "Tebow being terrible", almost guaranteed it was planted by the front office to try and justify to fans why he wasn't given a chance to start.

Too bad for them the contract information was made public. A little research sure sheds some light on an awful lot of questions and confusing bait and switch comments by EFX.

Links:

Tebow contract info:
    http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_15667056

Orton contract info:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=5478172

Brady Quinn contract info:
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14676213?source=rss

That sir, is correct. I was going to start this same exact thread. As a matter of fact, I still have it saved on wifeys computer. But I didn't want to post it with all of the Orton/Tebow BS. CP to you, cause I just wasn't willing to do it.

Orton is a better qb. He is starting based on performance. Accept it.

So paying 22 million to the 2nd best qb is the way to go. Ok got it

Adopted Bronco 12/13 : Ryan Clady

as usual completely agree mug

yeah EFX is a bunch of liars who refuse to start the best players and its all about money with them

Hey everybody look at me Im on the interwebs :paper:
    "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83

Well ya... we all know this was the truth that were paying attention. Tebow sure did well statistically in the preseason for being so awful.

Funny or the worst part is fans bought into the media created Tebow is terrible talk... It's pretty sad what people will believe without seeing things for or with their own eyes.

I do a little thing called the eye test. I see what my eyeball tell me.. My eyeballs tell me Tebow isn't near as far off or as bad as some of you want to pretend... He will make a great qb next year. for who I am not sure.. I hope it's the broncos. I think the broncos go 10-6 worst case 8-8 this year... the media says they are 4-12 to 5-11, I just don't see it... Anyway more people should try the eyeball test then believing what people write that they don't know and don't know their motive...

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    its weird how the better qb is constantly outplayed by his backup

Interesting info MUG, good write-up.

Truth be told, the NFL is about profit more than it is about winning.

Business > Game

Especially when the playoffs are a long shot with either.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    AGREED 100%,it's just another EXCUSE for Tebow not starting.
    Even if Manning has to throw the ball underhand, the Broncos believe they have a better quarterback than the one who beat the Steelers in the playoffs last season.

I know Tebiw fans want him to play. I would also like to see him play eventually. But the truth of the matter is he is not our best QB at this time and until he is why should the Broncos pay him 2-3 times more money for a QB that is not the best on the team?

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbender View Post
    AGREED 100%,it's just another EXCUSE for Tebow not starting.
    Orton fans talking about excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie24 View Post
    its weird how the better qb is constantly outplayed by his backup
    we must have been watching different games then.

Kyle is a better QB right now, blah blah blah.

This is the short-term thinking that tarnishes the respect given to Americans.

While I have stayed out of the QB debate, for the most part.

I have made this point before and so, I totally agree. If we had traded Orton things would have been different. We got stuck with his contract and inherently his starting at QB.

Once we got stuck with Orton, all competition for the starting spot was over due to $.

The true answer will come at the end of the season.....If Orton is a better QB he will be signed to a long term deal and Tebow will be traded....If Orton is not a better QB he will be let loose.

It's clear as day we already wanted to get rid of him.......so
    Last edited by marcus_miller; 09-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition backhand a fool!