Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Wilson Chandler News

The latest news on chandler is that he didn't sign an offer sheet with any teams, so he has no choice but to sign with the nuggets or sit out the whole year.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...et_nuggets.php

​A couple of weeks ago, it seemed all but certain that Wilson Chandler would return to the Nuggets after getting out of his commitment to play in China. But the negotiations stalled amid reports that Chandler might go to Italy if he and Denver couldn't work out a deal. And while those options remain, he definitely can't suit up for another NBA team, since the deadline for him to sign an offer sheet with one of them has passed.
    Even before Chandler's arrival in Denver as part of the Carmelo Anthony trade, there's been doubt about his interest in the Nuggets. In January 2011, for instance, the New York Post's Frank Isola reported that Chandler was "leaning toward" hiring Happy Walters, the agent who represented Knicks star Amare Stoudemire. One reason? A source told Isola, "He's really worried that he's going to get traded. He doesn't want to leave New York. And he doesn't want to be in Denver."

Chandler did hire Walters, although the pair subsequently parted company; he later reconnected with his previous rep, Chris Luchey. Nonetheless, Chandler has never seemed particularly happy as a Nugget, even during the squad's run during the waning months of last season, to which he was an important contributor. This point is underscored by his decision to ink with a Chinese team. Fellow Nuggets J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin did likewise, but it was clear they wouldn't be returning to the Nuggets for reasons of attitude and injury history, respectively. In contrast, Chandler was wanted, but he put a continent between him and Denver anyhow.

Now, Chandler's options are to sign an offer sheet with the Nuggets and play at altitude for the rest of this season and all of the next before becoming an unrestricted free agent in July 2013, sign with an overseas team, or opt to sit out.

We're about to find out how much Chandler does, or doesn't, like Denver. Look below for more details about the situation, as reported earlier this week by our Kyle Garratt.

February 29 post by Kyle Garratt: A week after it looked like restricted free agent forward Wilson Chandler would surely sign a contract with the Nuggets, doubt is creeping in. It comes in the form of an Italian team and a lack of progress in contract negotiations. Wilson has yet to work out a deal with the Nuggets and global basketball web site Sportando reported on Twitter Monday that Chandler is in "serious talks" to play with an Italian team for the rest of the season.

That same website also reported on Twitter early this morning that the Italian team in question, Olimpia Milano, has no interest in signing Chandler -- so it could be nothing more than a negotiating ploy.

Chandler spent the evening of February 20 in a suite with Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri and both sides talked optimistically about getting a deal done. Chandler then went to flirt with the Toronto Raptors last week and waited for his letter of clearance from the Chinese Basketball Association, where he played during the lockout.

Chandler received his letter of clearance yesterday, according to Chandler's agent, Chris Luchey. This means Chandler is free to play in the NBA. Now all he needs to do is decide if he wants to do that, and for which team.

Chandler has until tomorrow to sign an offer sheet with another NBA team, which the Nuggets could match. After tomorrow, the Nuggets are the only NBA team Chandler can sign with and play for this season.

Luchey has said Chandler won't sign a one-year deal with the Nuggets and the team has said it has no interest in bringing him on just for the rest of the season. Chandler might want a deal just for the rest of the season because it would allow him to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Nuggets won't do this because they would then risk losing him and receiving nothing in return. And as a restricted free agent, Chandler has less control in this negotiation than the Nuggets do.

Chandler is looking for a long-term deal, as the Nuggets appear to be, but if the sides can't agree on terms, Chandler could sit out the rest of the year or head to Italy, then test restricted free agency again next season.

Toronto is the only other team Chandler reportedly visited, but Luchey said six other teams have interest. The Indiana Pacers and the Cleveland Cavaliers have been tossed around on the Internets, but the Nuggets will be able to offer him more money than any other team.

The Nuggets are likely weary of spending too much money on someone who will essentially be backing up Danilo Gallinari, who they just handed a four-year, $42 million extension. Chandler, who came to the Nuggets last year in the Carmelo Anthony deal, has averaged just under fourteen points and five rebounds for his career and could certainly start for several teams.

The best case scenario for the Nuggets is that tomorrow passes without another squad extending an offer, at which point the team would still have Chandler under contract even without signing him to a long-term deal. The Nuggets could then try to work out a long-term contract or a trade to get something of value in return for the small forward, even if he chooses to sit out the season or flee to Italy.

He'll be back....

I'm not so sure.

Right now here is what I think is going on.

The Nuggets are low balling him some he and his agent thinks. Thus the reason he hasn't signed yet. The Nuggets are doing this, because they can, and think he'll sign because he wants money now because he has no income. Him and his agent are debating hitting the market to try to get more and whether it's worth it to sit out this season, and get no income.

I think the Nuggets are at fault right now. BUT this is just MY GUESS, and may be not true at all.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
    I'm not so sure.

Right now here is what I think is going on.

The Nuggets are low balling him some he and his agent thinks. Thus the reason he hasn't signed yet. The Nuggets are doing this, because they can, and think he'll sign because he wants money now because he has no income. Him and his agent are debating hitting the market to try to get more and whether it's worth it to sit out this season, and get no income.

I think the Nuggets are at fault right now. BUT this is just MY GUESS, and may be not true at all.
    probably right.

This is what can happen if the player has NO leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Experience View Post
    probably right.

This is what can happen if the player has NO leverage.
    Yup. Just have to hope it doesn't damage the relationship or anything.

I trust this FO though so, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yup. Just have to hope it doesn't damage the relationship or anything.

I trust this FO though so, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    I think eventually the 2 sides will agree to a deal. Masai knows exactly what he is doing though.

If they can't agree and WC sits out or goes to Italy he will still be an RFA, so they can still match any offer or re-sign him to an extension or do an S&T.

Nothing is for sure in this, but one thing that is, is that Denver will not loose WC for nothing.

I think eventually the 2 sides will agree to a deal. Masai knows exactly what he is doing though.

If they can't agree and WC sits out or goes to Italy he will still be an RFA, so they can still match any offer or re-sign him to an extension or do an S&T.

Nothing is for sure in this, but one thing that is, is that Denver will not loose WC for nothing.
    Yeah. We need him terribly right now though, we might just have to pay a little more.

He's worth it. Ton of upside too.

I heard rumblings last week that the he was leaning toward sitting the season out just to become a free agent. Man, I sure hope thats not what he wants to do!
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/Sean669m2/m_ae5661171089a968d5e7d319920237-1.png

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHill-71 View Post
    I heard rumblings last week that the he was leaning toward sitting the season out just to become a free agent. Man, I sure hope thats not what he wants to do!
    If he sits out he is still RFA.

Yeah. We need him terribly right now though, we might just have to pay a little more.

He's worth it. Ton of upside too.
    I agree, we really lack players who can create their own shot. We also lack mid range shooting. Chandler does both very well.

If he sits out he is still RFA.
    I understand that. The point is the Nuggets have already said they will match any offer he gets. So if no team offers him anything and the Nuggets dont offer him the contract he wants, he can sit out or hold out this year and become an unrestricted FA next year, which means we lose!
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/Sean669m2/m_ae5661171089a968d5e7d319920237-1.png

I agree, we really lack players who can create their own shot. We also lack mid range shooting. Chandler does both very well.
    We have the room to pay him the extra money too.

Right now we have a few contracts to worry about, and we have the money to do it.

Chandler. Lawson. Timofey.

Gallo/AAA/Nene already all locked up.

I understand that. The point is the Nuggets have already said they will match any offer he gets. So if no team offers him anything and the Nuggets dont offer him the contract he wants, he can sit out and become an unrestricted FA next year, which means we lose!
    We'd have to be REALLY low balling him, for him to sit out another year if that's what you mean.

We'd have to be REALLY low balling him, for him to sit out another year if that's what you mean.
    Or course thats what I mean.

The problem is they just paid Galo $42 mil and he (per the source that leaked to the article or tweet, sorry I forgot where I read that) said that he didnt want to come and be a back up, essentually to Galo and not get the contract he wanted.

I dont know how true any of that is, but I could see that as a possibilty for him sitting out just for the right to be a FA next year!
    Last edited by ParkHill-71; 03-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.

I understand that. The point is the Nuggets have already said they will match any offer he gets. So if no team offers him anything and the Nuggets dont offer him the contract he wants, he can sit out or hold out this year and become an unrestricted FA next year, which means we lose!
    The only way he can be a UFA next year is he has to accept a qualifying offer this offseason. If he sits out he will just remain a RFA.