Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is Elway's "There is no plan B." comment worrysome?

I know John Elway tried to put it off as a lighthearted, witty comment but it scared the heck out of me. (Well, as much as anything that I cannot control and has no real impact on my life, can.)

This is really a sounding board post. I'm no NFL mastermind and have questions. If it is a repeat, please join.. I looked in the applicable areas and didn't see one.

What is "plan B" going to be? - an really, what is all included?

I'm assuming they were talking about an 'in case something terrible happens to Manning' scenario.

Presuming that Tebow is traded - we'll need a QB to inject into Manning's scheme. It is my understanding that there is no man on earth that can just take over and remember/coordinate the crazy "blue pigeon red left rockthrower" crazy play calls he makes. So I guess we're going to be buying a Mercedes and saying "In case my Mercedes breaks down, I've got a new Chevy Sonic to drive around during repairs."

I guess my question is... Is there such a thing as a viable "plan B" with our new situation? Or will we just be looking for emergency parachute so we don't splatter on the ground?
    Let's get this done, Manning.

Now, how about some young, breakout talent? Sure, being great next year would be awesome. Call me greedy, but I want to be great for TEN years.

I heard Curtis painter from Lombardi on NFL network or perhaps billy Volek? Basically anyone but Tebow will be plan B

Nfl network ran a segment and they said painter and Volek are available and know the offense manning will run
    Last edited by Mk2_Tebow; 03-20-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Plan A: Win a superbowl

Plan B? We don't have a plan b! We have plan A!

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things but I think he was referring to signing Manning. As in, there was no plan B if we didnt sign him. Because Elway is extremely confident so he didn't even think of not getting manning. If we wouldn't have gotten him, then he would have moved on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
    Maybe we are talking about 2 different things but I think he was referring to signing Manning. As in, there was no plan B if we didnt sign him. Because Elway is extremely confident so he didn't even think of not getting manning. If we wouldn't have gotten him, then he would have moved on from there.
    No the reporter clearly said , what if the unthinkable happens and manning can't go on a Sunday what is plan B . Direct question , she was asking about the back up.

I suppose that makes sense. Certainly clears those muddy waters. But wouldn't plan B, be stay the current course? I.E. continue with TT.

Now, how about some young, breakout talent? Sure, being great next year would be awesome. Call me greedy, but I want to be great for TEN years.

This is how I understood the reporter's question. Elway's answer made sense to me. Their only and first goal was acquiring Manning.

They didn't really need a Plan B because had Manning chosen somewhere else... well, They'd have rolled with Tebow just like they originally planned.

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Someone call Bubby Brister NOW!

First of all - (I know you know this, so I am not directing this at you) he was being factious . Second, it was the most STUPID question of the presser. Elway looked a bit annoyed by the question. I mean, Manning just got into town and she was asking about what to do if he gets hurt?! Really??!!

The comment isn't true, they have a plan B. He even said that during this free agency period they had a plan B if Manning didn't choose Denver. They just spent $96MM so I am sure they have a plan B.

To directly answer your question, any team in the NFL is screwed if their franchise QB goes down with an injury, they all have a parachute. (Even though Flynn, Kolb & Cassell filled in well - they might not be the franchise QBs they looked like in spot duty). At the end of the day (and to over simplify), the offense will revert to a pocket passer's offense - it's easier to find a "plan B" for that type of offense.
    Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

There is no alternative plan.
    You get the best players to help you win.

Plan B = loss

Plan B is to complete Plan A

Quote Originally Posted by Pratama View Post
    First of all - (I know you know this, so I am not directing this at you) he was being factious . Second, it was the most STUPID question of the presser. Elway looked a bit annoyed by the question. I mean, Manning just got into town and she was asking about what to do if he gets hurt?! Really??!!

The comment isn't true, they have a plan B. He even said that during this free agency period they had a plan B if Manning didn't choose Denver. They just spent $96MM so I am sure they have a plan B.

To directly answer your question, any team in the NFL is screwed if their franchise QB goes down with an injury, they all have a parachute. (Even though Flynn, Kolb & Cassell filled in well - they might not be the franchise QBs they looked like in spot duty). At the end of the day (and to over simplify), the offense will revert to a pocket passer's offense - it's easier to find a "plan B" for that type of offense.

Thank you. This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. + CP

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWonder View Post
    There is no alternative plan.
    You get the best players to help you win.

Plan B = loss
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk2_Tebow View Post
    I heard Curtis painter from Lombardi...
    That's ridiculous. I suffered through "Plan B" this year, and if that's Plan B, you might as well rename it Plan Suck for Luck...er...Barkley.

Seriously though, this is PR speak. They wanted to focus on the good things today. They'll figure it a contingency in the event something were to happen to PM...unless a Polian or two in an exec position at Denver is written into the fine print of PM's Broncos contract.

Not trying to say plan b, but we should go after Josh Johnson as PM's backup.