Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Comparison of defensive depth chart w/last year shows improvement...

It's obvious to me that the depth chart has been definitively upgraded from top to bottom, EVEN the defensive tackle position, which contradicts those insisting the team did little to nothing there:

LDE Robert Ayers, Malik Jackson, Jesse Blatnick
    NT Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson, Sealver Siliga
    RDT Ty Warren, Derek Wolfe, Mitch Unrein, Ben Garland
    RDE Elvis Dumervil, Jason Hunter, Cyril Obiozor
    SLB Von Miller, Mike Mohamed, Jerry Franklin
    MLB Joe Mays, Nate Irving, Steven Johnson
    WLB DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan
    LCB Champ Bailey, Drayton Florence, Syd'Quan Thompson, Coryell Judie
    SS Mike Adams, David Bruton, Rafael Bush, Duke Ihenacho
    FS Quinton Carter, Rahim Moore
    RCB Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Omar Bolden

LDE Robert Ayers, Jason Hunter
    NT Broderick Bunkley, Ryan McBean
    RDT Kevin Vickerson, Marcus Thomas, Mitch Unrein
    RDE Elvis Dumervil, Derrick Harvey
    SLB Von Miller, Mike Mohamed
    MLB Joe Mays, Mario Haggan, Nate Irving
    WLB DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard
    LCB Champ Bailey, Cassius Vaughn
    SS Brian Dawkins, Quinton Carter
    FS Rahim Moore, Darcel McBath, David Bruton
    RCB Andre Goodman, Chris Harris

Right now, of course, there are lots of folks on the 2012 side that won't be on the final roster, but even so, the changes not only right now but in depth and potential in the secondary and defensive line are striking to me. If Chris Harris is able to post quality minutes at safety, the depth there looks even more promising with all of the upgrades at corner.

Then, when you realize the line lost Kevin Vickerson after only five games last year, I don't feel nearly as bad about the DTs THIS year. It's a miracle that the Broncos went most of the season with just Marcus Thomas, Broderick Bunkley, Ryan McBean and Mitch Unrein at those positions.
    Last edited by MalikG; 06-06-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by MalikG View Post
    It's obvious to me that the depth chart has been definitively upgraded from top to bottom, EVEN the defensive tackle position, which contradicts those insisting the team did little to nothing there:

LDE Robert Ayers, Malik Jackson, Jesse Blatnick
    NT Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson, Sealver Siliga
    RDT Ty Warren, Derek Wolfe, Mitch Unrein, Ben Garland
    RDE Elvis Dumervil, Jason Hunter, Cyril Obiozor
    SLB Von Miller, Mike Mohamed, Jerry Franklin
    MLB Joe Mays, Nate Irving, Steven Johnson
    WLB DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan
    LCB Champ Bailey, Drayton Florence, Syd'Quan Thompson, Coryell Judie
    SS Mike Adams, David Bruton, Rafael Bush, Duke Ihenacho
    FS Quinton Carter, Rahim Moore
    RCB Tracy Porter, Chris Harris, Omar Bolden

LDE Robert Ayers, Jason Hunter
    NT Broderick Bunkley, Ryan McBean
    RDT Kevin Vickerson, Marcus Thomas, Mitch Unrein
    RDE Elvis Dumervil, Derrick Harvey
    SLB Von Miller, Mike Mohamed
    MLB Joe Mays, Mario Haggan, Nate Irving
    WLB DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard
    LCB Champ Bailey, Cassius Vaughn
    SS Brian Dawkins, Quinton Carter
    FS Rahim Moore, Darcel McBath, David Bruton
    RCB Andre Goodman, Chris Harris

Right now, of course, there are lots of folks on the 2012 side that won't be on the final roster, but even so, the changes not only right now but in depth and potential in the secondary and defensive line are striking to me. If Chris Harris is able to post quality minutes at safety, the depth there looks even more promising with all of the upgrades at corner.

Then, when you realize the line lost Kevin Vickerson after only five games last year, I don't feel nearly as bad about the DTs THIS year. It's a miracle that the Broncos went most of the season with just Marcus Thomas, Broderick Bunkley, Ryan McBean and Mitch Unrein at those positions.
    Any defensive tackle spot with ty warren starting is automatically the worst in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Any defensive tackle spot with ty warren starting is automatically the worst in the league.
    No one has seen him play for two years, after stellar play before that, and you can pull an evaluation of him being among the worst in the league out of... what, exactly?

And especially when the comparison is Bunkley and Marcus Thomas, not exactly an All-Pro tandem.

No one has seen him play for two years, after stellar play before that, and you can pull an evaluation of him being among the worst in the league out of... what, exactly?

And especially when the comparison is Bunkley and Marcus Thomas, not exactly an All-Pro tandem.
    Ty Warren did not play stellar the 2 years prior to his injury. Now after 2 years of not playing, being injured, and not being able to fully work out, just rehabbing, he's probably not going to be as strong as he used to be. Add in the fact that he was absolutely horrible in the little time he had before he got hurt last year and we're likely looking at a camp body right now. He has his work cut out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Ty Warren did not play stellar the 2 years prior to his injury. Now after 2 years of not playing, being injured, and not being able to fully work out, just rehabbing, he's probably not going to be as strong as he used to be. Add in the fact that he was absolutely horrible in the little time he had before he got hurt last year and we're likely looking at a camp body right now. He has his work cut out for him.
    Warren lost the weight from last season.I guess we can say last season he came to camp over weight and out of shape which resulted in him being injured.Warren stated this season he is in the best shape he has been in for awile.I hope it translates to good solid play for us up the middle.

I feel Bunkleys body of work last season was slightly over-looked. I have a feeling we will miss his big body up in the middle... As for Dt depth we are better this season i just don't buy into ty as anything more then a #3 DT in a rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by McLean View Post
    I feel Bunkleys body of work last season was slightly over-looked. I have a feeling we will miss his big body up in the middle... As for Dt depth we are better this season i just don't buy into ty as anything more then a #3 DT in a rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by McLean View Post
    It feels like the Broncos have upgraded their level of journeyman DTs, if that's all Warren is now.

Interesting to note that ESPN's scouting grade for Warren is the same as Bunkley's was last year: 78. At this point, for the lesser amount he's signed to (and only 1 year), he's very much a low-risk, hopefully high-reward move.

We shouldn't be surprised if he's just a ham-and-egger or if he does even up to what Bunkley did.

We definately improved in some areas but there are a couple that are yet to be determined. Hopefully our new D-line can pull it together and play well.

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware

Justin Bannan and Ty Warren an upgrade over Marcus Thomas and Broderick Bunkley?!?

I want some of what you're smoking

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

Quote Originally Posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Justin Bannan and Ty Warren an upgrade over Marcus Thomas and Broderick Bunkley?!?

Sweet! Some actual debate!

I'm comparing the entire battery and depth chart at the position rather than just the top two.

I'd say that Bunkley > Warren certainly.

However, Bannan > or at least = to Marcus Thomas.

And then, when you go further, I like the potential of Wolfe > McBean and THEN is where this year's quality really comes into play.

Vickerson 2012 is definitely > 2011 Unrein, and there literally wasn't ANYONE even on the roster behind Unrein last year.

This year's team also has Siliga and Garland in the mix, who I'm pretty sure are better than... nothing. Now do you see my point, even a little?

Sweet! Some actual debate!

I'm comparing the entire battery and depth chart at the position rather than just the top two.

I'd say that Bunkley > Warren certainly.

However, Bannan > or at least = to Marcus Thomas.

And then, when you go further, I like the potential of Wolfe > McBean and THEN is where this year's quality really comes into play.

Vickerson 2012 is definitely > 2011 Unrein, and there literally wasn't ANYONE even on the roster behind Unrein last year.

This year's team also has Siliga and Garland in the mix, who I'm pretty sure are better than... nothing. Now do you see my point, even a little?
    You're comparing a 2011 53-man roster after injuries to a fresh 2012 90-man OTA roster.

The comparison is dumb, IMO.

If you want to stay fair, compare a fresh 2011 90-man OTA roster to a fresh 2012 90-man OTA roster. You'll see that the changes we've made are negligible outside of adding Derek Wolfe.

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

You're comparing a 2011 53-man roster after injuries to a fresh 2012 90-man OTA roster.

The comparison is dumb, IMO.

If you want to stay fair, compare a fresh 2011 90-man OTA roster to a fresh 2012 90-man OTA roster. You'll see that the changes we've made are negligible outside of adding Derek Wolfe.
    So, it sounds like you're admitting that the current 90-man OTA roster is -- ON PAPER -- superior to the roster that played the majority of the season for the Broncos last year.

That's a start, my friend. Baby steps...

And,for the record, at DT, it's adding Wolfe, Vickerson, Bannan, Siliga and Garland while subtracting Bunkley, Thomas and McBean. Unrein remains (hopefully a year better), and we'll see if the resultant calculus turns out any better.

Also, who cares about being fair in the comparison? Last year, the team "unfairly" lost Vickerson and Warren for the year early on. If that's why this year's team ends up being better up the middle, I say both 'so be it' and 'hallelujah'.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post

disagree. Despite the fact that he hasnt played in a long while, he is still head and shoulder more talented then the other scrubs we have. They are not going to be beating him out of a roster spot. I fully suspect that the next OTA we hear about Ty will be running with the #1s.......and unless he chokes in TC or gets hurt, I wager he will be there all offseason long and reg season. Its not that he is soooo good, its more that what we have behind him is not so good.
    I want:1 Shazier LB. 2 Donte Moncreif WR. 3 SJB CB. 4 Antone exum-s/cb. 5 Brandon Thomas-ol. 6. OL 7 Kapri Bibs RB.I think: 1.2A.- Jimmy Ward S/CB;2B. Joel Bitonio T/OG;3. SJB-cb. 4. Preston Brown LB 5. Jeff Janis WR;6. John Brown-wr/kr. 7. AlfredBlue rb

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    disagree. Despite the fact that he hasnt played in a long while, he is still head and shoulder more talented then the other scrubs we have. They are not going to be beating him out of a roster spot. I fully suspect that the next OTA we hear about Ty will be running with the #1s.......and unless he chokes in TC or gets hurt, I wager he will be there all offseason long and reg season. Its not that he is soooo good, its more that what we have behind him is not so good.
    A 325 lb. Vickerson is better than Warren, Banaan is better than Warren, Derek Wolfe will likely be better than Warren even as a rookie. Warren can't be worse than Unrein so he has that going for him but then again Garland and Siliga are relative unknowns and the coaching staff seems to be high on both of them.

Neither Bunkley or Thomas were guys that could collapse the pocket and get after the QB up the middle. They were run stuffers, pure and simple. That's great if you are playing Kansas City. It's less than impressive if you are playing New England and watching Tom Brady evade our pass rush simply by stepping up into the pocket because we don't have anyone causing havoc up the middle.
    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!