Slender vs Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Simple question which is better and have a bigger/better fear factor?

For those that haven't heard of either of them, they are newly popular survival horror PC games.
    Disclaimer: A lot of reading.
    Backgrounds:

Slender begins with the player in a forest at night. The player is equipped with a flashlight that has a battery which must be conserved. The player is able to jog for a short period before running out of breath. There are 10 different landmarks scattered throughout the woods including vehicles, a building, a giant tree, rocks, brick walls, a stone pillar, a tunnel, cut down trees, and fuel tanks. Dirt paths are present, but the player is able to travel in any direction and is only bound by fences which enclose the area.

Objective

The goal of the game is to find a total of eight pages hidden on 8 of the 10 major landmarks in the forest, though collecting the 8 pages will not end the game. Each page is a message or drawing concerning Slender Man, who pursues the player through the forest. Each time the player collects a page (or if the player fails to collect a page after a certain period of time) Slender Man's pursuit of the player becomes more urgent.

Slender Man

Slender Man is an entity that follows the player through the forest. It resembles a tall, thin man with elongated arms dressed in a black suit with a featureless, pale white face. When the player catches a glimpse of Slender Man at close range, a startling music sting is played which allows the player to sprint for a short period of time. Unlike jogging, sprinting will decrease the maximum amount of stamina the player has. When looking at Slender Man the screen becomes distorted with static, and if the player looks at him for too long the screen will fade to static and Slender Man's pale white, featureless face appears on the screen as the game ends. Slender Man can also turn the player around when they are not looking at him if he gets too close, also ending the game in the same manner.

Slender is free, so if you're interested you can download it. It should work on pretty much any modern PC.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent:

In a similar vein to the developer's previous games, Amnesia is an exploration-based adventure game played from a first-person perspective. The game retains the physical object interaction used in the Penumbra series, allowing for physics-based puzzles and interactions such as opening doors and fixing machinery. Few in-game objects are operated by toggle; to open a door, for instance, the player must hold down a mouse button and then push (or pull) the mouse. This gives the player stealth, allowing them to peek out a barely-opened door or open it slowly to sneak away, but also adds to the player's sense of helplessness, as it is now entirely possible to attempt to push open a "pull" door whilst danger approaches from behind.

In addition to a health indicator, Daniel's sanity must be managed. Being in darkness too long, witnessing unsettling events, or staring at monsters will reduce Daniel's sanity, causing visual and auditory hallucinations and drawing the attention of monsters. Light sources help restore sanity, and if none are available Daniel may use tinderboxes to ignite candles in wall sconces and candelabra, or deploy an oil-burning lantern found near the beginning of the game. However, the number of tinderboxes and the amount of oil available are both limited, and standing in a light source also makes the player more noticeable to monsters. The player must balance the amount of time Daniel spends in light and shadow. Sanity is fully restored once Daniel completes an objective or progresses the game's story. It may also be restored by staying in the shadows until Daniel passes out, but this leaves him extremely vulnerable to any nearby monsters.

If a monster spots Daniel, it will chase him until he's out of sight. If spotted, Daniel must flee, as Amnesia does not give the player access to weapons. Daniel must find hiding places or barricade doors with rocks, chairs and other obstacles; however, monsters are capable of tearing down doors in their path and kicking obstacles out of the way, and move extremely fast once they have spotted their prey. Players can also choose to hide Daniel in the shadows, at cost to sanity. Monsters who lose sight of Daniel will search for him for a time, but will eventually leave and vanish. At several points in the game, Daniel must lure them into destroying an obstacle in his path.
    The game recommends playing in a dark room, adjusting the gamma and wearing headphones. It also advises not to play to win.

Plot:
    In late August in the year 1839, Daniel, a young man from London, awakens in the dark halls of the Prussian Brennenburg Castle with little to no memory about himself or his past. All he can remember is his name, that he lives in Mayfair and that something is hunting him. Shortly after awakening, Daniel discovers a note written to himself, from which he learns that he has deliberately erased his own memory, and that he needs to descend into the Inner Sanctum of the castle to kill the Baron, Alexander.

Daniel's exploration of the dark depths of the castle (following a trail of strange, pinkish red liquid that he seems to have left for himself,) is also a journey into his own erased past, as he discovers not only notes and his own journal entries, but experiences visions of past events that took place within the castle's countless chambers (including memories that are not his own). While he unravels the mysteries of Brennenburg Castle, he also finds himself hunted by a dangerous unearthly presence that manifests itself as a corruption that is slowly covering the castle in fleshy, acidic growths, and bizarre monsters against which his only defense is to flee. These events are linked and pertain to why Daniel came to Brennenburg.

Daniel was once part of an archaeological expedition to Africa. He came across a mystical orb buried within the ruins of an ancient temple, and brought its broken pieces back to England where he successfully assembled them. However, he began to be plagued by nightmares, and several people who came across his path, and that of the Orb, died horribly at the hands of the "Shadow" that appears to dog his footsteps. Desperate and despairing, he received a strange letter from a Prussian baron named Alexander, who promised protection if Daniel would sojourn in his castle.
    However, Alexander's promise of salvation was a lie. He is actually an otherworldly lifeform who has spent centuries in Brennenburg, attempting to open a "gate" back to his own world. To do this, he needs a substance called "vitae", which can only be harvested from the blood of agonized humans.

He also needs a usable Orb. As such, Daniel is a boon to his efforts: Alexander employs him as his personal torturer, replacing his former servants who become the monsters Daniel flees from, and claiming the vitae will fuel a ritual to banish the Shadow from Daniel's presence forever. Daniel initially embraces this role, particularly when Alexander tells him that the humans he is seizing are vile criminals. In order to produce enough vitae, Alexander and Daniel feed the prisoners they torture with an Amnesia potion, which makes them forget the method of their torture, and ensures that they will be just as terrified the second time around, without becoming accustomed or resigned to the pain (Damascus rose is alluded to as either one of the ingredients of the Amnesia potion, or as a flavoring that Daniel perhaps added to the mixture to disguise its taste.) As the experiments continue, however, Daniel's faith in Alexander is shaken, and finally shattered when he murders a little girl in cold blood following her escape from a prison cell. Despondent over how far he has come, and furious at Alexander's trickery, Daniel chooses to drink the Amnesia potion himself so that he can atone for his sins without the burden of crippling emotional trauma.

Daniel eventually manages to find the Inner Sanctum buried deep below Castle Brennenburg. He breaches its defences with a newly assembled Orb and the help of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, an alchemist that Alexander has kept imprisoned in Brennenburg for centuries with the use of strange alchemy. Agrippa, who once studied Orbs with his student Johann Weyer, explains the purpose of the Shadow: it protects the Orbs, slaying anyone who threatens to abuse their power. He mentions also that Weyer managed to travel to Alexander's world using the power of the Orb, and begs a favor: that Daniel separate Agrippa's head from his body with the help of a tonic that will ensure his head will remain alive, and then take it with him. There are several possible outcomes to the confrontation with Alexander, depending on Daniel's actions at the Inner Sanctum: he can fail to prevent Alexander from returning to his home world, though Alexander thanks him for his sacrifice; he can destroy the device creating the Gate, managing to escape with his life; or he can follow Agrippa's advice and toss his head through the portal. If he does, Agrippa calls upon Weyer to help him save Daniel, promising him that "everything will be all right."

This game will run you about $20, requires OS: Windows XP/Vista/7 / Linux / Mac OSX, Processor: 2.0Ghz, Memory: 2048 MB, Disk Space: 3 Gigabytes, Video Card: Radeon X1000/GeForce 6

Or you could just watch the gameplay videos people upload on youtube. I'd post those videos, but these games are scaring people, which means profanity.

Adopted Broncos:
    Michael Schofield Matt Prater

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    I've played both, but honestly I didn't find either overly frightening. Amnesia's graphics are so bad and control clunky that I was more frustrated than scared. Slender has to be one of the funniest games I've ever played after the first time I played a while.

I got way more frights out of games such as Condemned, the F.E.A.R. titles (the way you interact with some objects like ladders sets you up for some scary crap), and the scariest games of all time: Dead Space. Hard difficulty at 3 AM with the lights off, nothin scrryrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
    I've played both, but honestly I didn't find either overly frightening. Amnesia's graphics are so bad and control clunky that I was more frustrated than scared. Slender has to be one of the funniest games I've ever played after the first time I played a while.

I got way more frights out of games such as Condemned, the F.E.A.R. titles (the way you interact with some objects like ladders sets you up for some scary crap), and the scariest games of all time: Dead Space. Hard difficulty at 3 AM with the lights off, nothin scrryrrr.
    I've haven't played either of them. My laptop likely wont run Amnesia and I just don't have interest in Slender. Both are funny to watch on Youtube, especially Gunns4hire's videos on it. His freaks outs are priceless.

I didn't find Condemned scary at all, did find it boring. F.E.A.R series is one of my favorite games and in my opinion one of the more underrated game series. Since I have played Dead Space, F.E.A.R gets the node. I will say the each F.E.A.R tile got less and less frighten.

Adopted Broncos:

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    I've haven't played either of them. My laptop likely wont run Amnesia and I just don't have interest in Slender. Both are funny to watch on Youtube, especially Gunns4hire's videos on it. His freaks outs are priceless.

I didn't find Condemned scary at all, did find it boring. F.E.A.R series is one of my favorite games and in my opinion one of the more underrated game series. Since I have played Dead Space, F.E.A.R gets the node. I will say the each F.E.A.R tile got less and less frighten.
    Yah Fear 1 was definitely scarier cus they put a little more action and stuff into 2 (actually never finished 2). I just remember that part in one where you're walking through real slow and you see her a couple times and then you go to climb down a ladder and when it turns you around she's right there, I jumped like crazy. Then you fall down and expect her to be on you but shes gone. Condemned: criminal origins just had a few flashlight/things jump out at you moments that got me.

Dead Space is constantly scary, especially if you're on a real hard difficulty and you can die in 2 or 3 hits. Things just some out from everywhere and the pace of the game makes you go slow and everything is faster than you. 2 added the raptor types that hide and peak out :shudder:

You should try Slender its requirements are really low and it uses the unity engine (a lot of webgames are based on it). I played it the first time a little uhhh inebriated and it definitely scared me. The music is really good.

Slender. It's perfect in it's simplicity. Although if you're not a fan of the creepypasta (or creepypastas in general) you won't really get much out of it.

- ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Yah Fear 1 was definitely scarier cus they put a little more action and stuff into 2 (actually never finished 2). I just remember that part in one where you're walking through real slow and you see her a couple times and then you go to climb down a ladder and when it turns you around she's right there, I jumped like crazy. Then you fall down and expect her to be on you but shes gone. Condemned: criminal origins just had a few flashlight/things jump out at you moments that got me.

Dead Space is constantly scary, especially if you're on a real hard difficulty and you can die in 2 or 3 hits. Things just some out from everywhere and the pace of the game makes you go slow and everything is faster than you. 2 added the raptor types that hide and peak out :shudder:

You should try Slender its requirements are really low and it uses the unity engine (a lot of webgames are based on it). I played it the first time a little uhhh inebriated and it definitely scared me. The music is really good.
    Fear 2 & 3 became confusing and awkward.

How do I exactly download Slender? I don't wanna have to download a series of stuff.

Adopted Broncos:

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Fear 2 & 3 became confusing and awkward.

How do I exactly download Slender? I don't wanna have to download a series of stuff.
    http://www.slendergame.com/download.php

pick a mirror, unzip, play.

http://www.slendergame.com/download.php

pick a mirror, unzip, play.
    Which of those links do you recommend? And is the download safe...I mean wont get like a virus or anything?

Adopted Broncos:

ಠ◡ಠ ⊙▃⊙ ಠ_ಠ ಠ~ಠ ಥ_ಥ
    Which of those links do you recommend? And is the download safe...I mean wont get like a virus or anything?
    I used the first one. They should all be safe though.