Von Miller vs. Aldon Smith - Which Pass Rusher is Superior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broncoslover115
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2012

Von Miller vs. Aldon Smith - Which Pass Rusher is Superior?

The Denver Broncos' Von Miller and San Francisco 49ers' Aldon Smith have quickly established themselves as elite defenders, but which second-year pro is superior? Bucky Brooks has an answer.

Von Miller gets the edge over Aldon Smith :thumb:
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware
  • Denver_oner
    Practice Squad
    • Jul 2011

Two different players.

Aldon Smith is only a pass rusher and thats all he does. He came out as a defensive end.

Von miller is good at everything. Better in coverage, Great at pass rushing, Great at run stopping.

Comment

• Blue Thunda
      Practice Squad
      • Dec 2008

*Sigh*

We all know Miller is a complete LB and is basically one of, if not THE most dominant player in every aspect of his game. Covers pretty well, super fast and explosive, beast pass rusher, apparently has good hands (INT), great run-stopper, and is just so freaking strong. He is complete and an everydown LB, but has the Strength, speed, and explosiveness to jump on the ball count and compete with these HUGE offensive lineman and push them around making it look so easy.

Hell, he might be the best player, if not, the best Defensive player in the NFL. He's asked to do so much on defense, and completely kills it just about everytime.

I just HATE that people look at sacks and determine that as a great defensive stat. Sure it's nice, but sacks don't make a player. Aldon Smith shouldn't even be in the DPOY talk just because he's rackin' up sacks like nobodies business and is only used really for that aspect. He's an AWESOME sack artist, but put him in coverage against these TE's and see how he stacks up with Von. It just utterly annoys me to no end that Smith is considered a great D-player just because he's a sack master. That doesn't make a defensive player, it makes a situational pass rush player.

The only guy I would consider in this conversation with Von as a DPOY it's JJ Watt. That dude is a beast D-lineman all around. Swatting throws left and right, racking up sacks, stuffing the run, putting pressure in the QB's face almost every play. He's fantastic, and deserves to be in the DPOY race, not a situational guy and is there every single down.

I would pick Von any day over those two though, he's just so versatile in his game, I just don't understand how other 'analysts' and fans don't see that. I know it's not flashy to rack up sacks every game, but this dude competes in sacks with the other 2 and is asked to do WAY much more than them on the side.

So glad we got him, pay this dude as much as you possibly can Elway.

Comment

• Hadez
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2004

It happened so long ago most on these boards probably forget but talent like Miller's forced the NFL to change how OTs line up in order to protect the QBs.

Guys like Derrick Thomas were unblockable to all but the best OT when the OTs had to line up on the LoS like the Guards and Center do.

I been thinking with all the other rules changes that benefit the Qbs they should make OTs get back on the LoS
        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
        effort x talent = skill
        effort x skill = achievement
        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• beastlyskronk
          Football Immortal
          • Jun 2007

3-4 OLBs rarely drop into coverage so of course Smith is rushing the passer every play, that's what 3-4 OLBs do. Rarely will you see Demarcus Ware or James Harrison in coverage. Von Miller however is a 4-3 SLB, he has to do everything, Smith only has to rush the passer because of the scheme differences. That doesn't mean Smith can't drop back into coverage because he probably can and have success with it as well.

Comment

• EvertonBroncos
            All-Pro
            • Jun 2010

Both terrific players, Miller is a more complete player though. His sack on Cam Newton is one of my favourite ever, how often do you see a coverage sack where the guy in coverage gets the sack? Like I said though they're both great at what they do, the debate is going to rage on for years similar to Luck vs Griffin.
            Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

• berlownacyo7s
              All-Pro
              • Jan 2008

Put Von Miller on a defense with Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, and Justin Smith and he'd put up ridiculous sack numbers too. And lets face it, Ahmad Brooks, Ray McDonald, and Isaac Sopoaga are probably also better than our front seven guys (at their respective positions) as well. The only other person on our defense that really warrants the offense's attention is Elvis Dumervil, so Von definitely has a lot tougher of a job to do than Aldon Smith and yet he still puts up comparable numbers. Aldon is a great pass rusher, but Von Miller is an all around stud.

One final note: It seems (to me at least) like the vast majority of Aldon's sacks come from when he does a DE/DT stunt/loop-around deal with Justin Smith. If Von had someone of that caliber to work with on our d-line it would be a much fairer comparison to solely look at the sack numbers. Both are great young players, but Von is better.

Comment

• Yakka27
                Special Teams
                • Feb 2012

Like I've always said, Aldon Smith is the 4th best player on his defense.

Comment

• one_bad_55
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jul 2011

Didn't Smith drop back in coverage and intercept Brady last week? I still think Miller is better and the race for DPOY is between Watt & Miller.

Von needs to have a couple of monster games to catch up a little to these guys in the sack ranks.
                  sigpic
                  Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                  2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                  2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

• InElwayWeTrust
                    All-Pro
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                    Didn't Smith drop back in coverage and intercept Brady last week? I still think Miller is better and the race for DPOY is between Watt & Miller.

Von needs to have a couple of monster games to catch up a little to these guys in the sack ranks.
                    He didn't drop into coverage. Brady threw a quick bubble screen to Hernandez, and Aldon Smith ran towards the sideline where Hernandez was (to make the tackle). But Hernandez bobbled the ball, and was hit. Causing the ball to fly towards Aldon Smith. He caught the ball for the interception. It is still a good play for him but it was t like he was in coverage or anything.

Comment

• InElwayWeTrust
                      All-Pro
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post

He didn't drop into coverage. Brady threw a quick bubble screen to Hernandez, and Aldon Smith ran towards the sideline where Hernandez was (to make the tackle). But Hernandez bobbled the ball, and was hit. Causing the ball to fly towards Aldon Smith. He caught the ball for the interception. It is still a good play for him but it wasnt like he was in coverage or anything.

Comment

• broncolee
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jan 2007

I would like to know who has fewer pass rush attempts and the percentage of time a sack, hurry, or knock down is recorded. I would venture to guess that Miller has fewer pass rush attempts and quite possibly a higher percentage of recording a sack, hurry, or knock down.
                        Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• AdamWeberOrBust
                          Special Teams
                          • Mar 2012

This might be a bit homerish but if Von played 3-4 OLB with the 49ers he'd have that sack record already.
                          All in for Siemian!

Comment

• broncolassiter
                            Special Teams
                            • Aug 2009

Von Miller has forced 5 fumbles in the last 6 games. Aldon Smith has forced 3 all season (2 against Chicago).
                            sigpic

Comment

• LSIGRAD09
                              GO BRONCOS!!!
                              • Sep 2009

I would have said Smith, however, with Justin Smith out, it seems as if Aldon has been neutralized somewhat. Therefore, I think Miller is better, considering he can straight up destroy formations by himself.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X