Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohenhen12345 View Post
    If Stefan Taylor falls to the 3rd or 4th round, wouldn't mind taken him. I also hope Teo falls to us in the first round Lol. Just because other FOs make stupid decisions doesn't mean the Broncos FOs should also make the dumb to decision to pass on Teo and Taylor.
    Agreed. A good example of bypassing a good talent due to combine results or whatever other issues is Alfred Morris. He ran a 4.67 40 and was subpar in most if his combine results last year but he's tough and willing to work hard to hide his weaknesses and improve them, both of which just cannot be measured at the combine. Only way to tell is to look at the film

Zachary Stacy 4.55 40

Theo Riddick 4.68 40 but he may have tweaked a hamstring

Speed does not matter its quickness, hence why someone like doug martin was one of the best backs last year but ran an average 40. If you must use the combine as a metric pay attention to the shuttle it shows how quick there feet are and how well they can change direction

Or the 3 cone drill which tests fluidity of motion

Playing speed differs from track speed because some players do not train for track and it is a different running form. Though I will say this all those who said Le'Veon Bell was to slow for the NFL were proven a bit wrong
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 02-24-2013 at 02:11 PM.

If Burkhead slips to Round 5, he'd be a steal.

The guy plays bigger than his size and faster than his clocked speed all with the intangibles (work ethic, leadership, character) of a champion.

If he had run to his real game speed (4.55 area), he would have never made it past day two during the draft.

I'm not a Stepfan Taylor fan. I see the 4.72 speed on film but I must say, didn't Emmit Smith run a 4.7? Being a successful RB is not about top end speed or burst, it certainly helps. However, how many 20+ yards do the best rb's get? RB is all about vision, patience, setting up blocks, and breaking tackles.

Another unimpressive 40-time guy to watch (albeit at a different position) is WR TJ Moe. Like Burkhead, if he slips into day three, he'd be great get.

Flip on the tape to these guys and you will quickly like what you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Matymaddog View Post
    I'm not a Stepfan Taylor fan. I see the 4.72 speed on film but I must say, didn't Emmit Smith run a 4.7? Being a successful RB is not about top end speed or burst, it certainly helps. However, how many 20+ yards do the best rb's get? RB is all about vision, patience, setting up blocks, and breaking tackles.
    yup i agree. I think he actually ran 4.8

but i think burst is very important to be able to have that burst in and out of the cuts, that burst through the hole.

its fun to see 40 times for players but you have to watch how they play. how fast do they play? do they play that fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Matymaddog View Post
    Emmitt ran a 4.55 similar to the muscle hamster (though it was after running a 4.7), but Jerry Rice ran a 4.65

Wes Welker ran a 4.6 as well

TD ran a 4.7 and I bet most of you crazy 40 obsessed Bronco fans think he wasnt that good
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 02-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Told yall about watching that combine.. I haven't watched it in years.. and will continue not to watch it.. 40 times for a running back is way overrated unless they are running offensive lineman times. When I saw the games, I saw Stephan Taylor at times carry Stanford on his back. He is an every own back and I don't care about his "4.7" 40.. He is a damn good football player, and ultimately that's all teams are going to care about.

Teams who put too much stock in 40 times end up like the Raiders. a team full of 4.2 and 4.3 guys but a record that leaves them out of the playoffs every season..

if we take a back im all for Giovani Bernard, Stephan Taylor, Zac Stacy, and Marcus Lattimore. those are my favorite backs..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_23 View Post
    Told yall about watching that combine.. I haven't watched it in years.. and will continue not to watch it.. 40 times for a running back is way overrated unless they are running offensive lineman times. When I saw the games, I saw Stephan Taylor at times carry Stanford on his back. He is an every own back and I don't care about his "4.7" 40.. He is a damn good football player, and ultimately that's all teams are going to care about.

Teams who put too much stock in 40 times end up like the Raiders. a team full of 4.2 and 4.3 guys but a record that leaves them out of the playoffs every season..

if we take a back im all for Giovani Bernard, Stephan Taylor, Zac Stacy, and Marcus Lattimore. those are my favorite backs..
    I still use the combine but as a whole, the 40 means little compared to the shuttle and 3 cone since that is most commonly how a player maneuvers on the field but I take it all into account including the skills. One also has to consider weight as well as the endurance. Players who dont have the endurance to complete the combine are a bit sketchy to me and its important to see how strong they are and how well they block and at our elevation whether they can handle the fatigue, hence why it is important to see if players can handle the bench press as well.

Still the eye test in the skills is most important, I think this combine strengthened my liking of Michael and Bell since they did well for power backs.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLikeBroncos View Post
    Rex Burkhead 4.73 40. A bad showing and may cause him to go undrafted but I would still take a flier on him. He has unbelievable balance and phone booth agility
    no surprise.

1.He's white

I love the knee jerk reactions on both ends

It doesn't mean nothing but it also doesn't mean everything ...have some freakin balance

There's a reason Chris Johnson, CJ Spiller, and Jamaal Charles all had excellent 40 times ...cuz they're blazing fast, (Spiller especially man, that guy plays at a different speed than the rest of the league it seems)

Now, someone can have an off day and run a bad time, someone can be faster on the field (why game film means the most), someone can be a different type of back ...

So again, lol at the kneejerk reactions to kneejerk reactions...it doesn't mean everything, but it does have some value

Someone could argue, well we all knew those guys were fast coming out of college, but 40's can confirm that, or make you doubt it n rewatch film, again, obviously film is most important but 40's do have some value in showing pure flat out speed

Quote Originally Posted by MeLikeBroncos View Post
    Now we all know 40 time is in no way indicative of a players success in the nfl but he ran a 4.72 which is a horrible 40 time for someone who is considered top 5 at his position. The benchmark for a running back at a minimum is generally 4.6 or lower. Almost no running back has any success in the nfl if they have a recorded 40 time worse than 4.6. He better hope his pro day allows for far better results
    This just in Terrell Davis 40 time 4.7sec.... Difference between 40 time speed and game time speed. Just saying

Bell really impressed me, his 10 yard time was also very impressive for a 240 pound man. We could really use him.