Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula One

Look for my main man Paul Di Resta to have a strong race this Sunday. 5th in both free practice sessions this morning, only 3 or 4 tenths off the pace, also looked strong in his high-fuel race simulation runs. Can't see past Kimi for this race though.
    Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Kimi wasn't close enough to the front of the grid to win, but due to excellent team stategy, both he and Grosjean were on the podium.

Rosberg. How disappointing he is. Hamilton is the real deal. What a lousy race Ferrari had. Alonso is probably the best driver with Raikkonen right there, too.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Grosjean taking the last podium spot from Di Resta absolutely gutted me, really wanted Paul to get it, really deserves it. Sadly I think the tyres are rendering Qualifying absolutely pointless, you have a better chance of finishing on the podium if you start 11th than if you start 5th/6th, purely because you fluke a few sets of good tyres.

Other than that I thought the race itself was absolutely brilliant, Vettel ran away with it but the midfield battles between the McLarens and Mercedes, Mark Webber and a few others were brilliant. Can't wait for Spain now!

Quote Originally Posted by EvertonBroncos View Post
    Grosjean taking the last podium spot from Di Resta absolutely gutted me, really wanted Paul to get it, really deserves it. Sadly I think the tyres are rendering Qualifying absolutely pointless, you have a better chance of finishing on the podium if you start 11th than if you start 5th/6th, purely because you fluke a few sets of good tyres.

Other than that I thought the race itself was absolutely brilliant, Vettel ran away with it but the midfield battles between the McLarens and Mercedes, Mark Webber and a few others were brilliant. Can't wait for Spain now!
    Given equal cars, how would you rank the current field of F1 drivers?

Sorry I'm late answering, been a hectic week

Very difficult to say really, obviously there's Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button and Raikkonen who are the best for me, very little to choose between them, given they're world champions it's hard to argue. I think up there with them are the likes of Webber, Di Resta, Hulkenberg and Massa.

Maldonado and Grosjean I'd class as two of the quickest drivers in the entire world, certainly over a single lap, but their racecraft leaves a lot to be desired, don't think either really have the wherewithal to be consistently top level drivers, although Grosjean has improved a lot and is keeping his nose clean (and attached to the car) this year.

Hard to judge the backmarkers, Jules Bianchi looks absolutely phenomenal, Chilton looks good as do Van Der Garde and Pic, but unless you're an F1 analyst/pundit it's very hard to compare them to the rest of the field.

I don't think Gutierrez is cut out for F1 to be honest, Kobayashi is light years ahead of him which is a shame, and shows the flaws in how some drivers get F1 seats, lots of cash.

Here goes:

Alonso
    Hamilton
    Raikkonen
    Button
    Di Resta/Hulkenberg (Both superb young drivers with little to choose between)
    Vettel
    Webber
    Massa
    Rosberg
    Sutil
    Grosjean
    Bianchi
    Perez
    Ricciardo
    Vergne
    Bottas
    Maldonado
    Chilton/Pic/Van Der Garde
    Gutierrez

The reason for Di Resta > Vettel, they were teammates in Formula Three, Di Resta smoked him on the way to winning the championship

Interesting that you put Di Resta/Hulkenberg ahead of Vettel.

I would go Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Button and Vettel.

Di Resta, Hulkenberg, Webber, Massa, Rosberg, Sutil and Grosjean are in a bunch behind them; shake the bag and take your pick.

McLaren goofed by not signing Hulkenberg.

To me, qualifying is like the Scouting Combine (i.e., measurables). A race is like a whole football game with much more substance.

I'm taking your word for Di Resta. I've got my eye on him. When his contract is up, he's moving up, I bet.

There was a rumor that when Riakkonen becomes available after the season, Red Bull may dump Webber and sign Raikonnen. Wouldn't that make for an interesting team chemistry?

I like Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton and Button. To me, they are true champions and sportsmen. Vettel not so much. Is it a German national trait to become totally ruthless when vying for an F1 championship? I'll never forget what Schumacher did to Damon Hill. At least he was a good ambassador for the sport. Vettel seems like a punk in comparison.

But, that's just me: old school. I became an F1 fan the same time I became a Bronco fan; 1964. That was back in the day of Jim Clark, John Surtees, Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren and Dan Gurney.

Agreed about Vettel, doesn't carry himself like a champion, "Punk" was a very good choice of words, also "Spoiled brat" may suffice.

Rosberg with consecutive poles, congratulations to him, but it's just a shame that Mercedes will probably get him no higher than 5th, Ross Brawn said they've been focused on improving their race package regarding tyre deg, however they're "not quite there yet"

The grid for tomorrow looks good. Lots of fast cars and good drivers in the first few rows.

Supreme drive from Rosberg. I'm still staggered that he's hot 3 poles in succession!

Pole position at Monaco usually means victory. It's very narrow and no shoulder/runoff area. Best job overtaking today goes to Adrian Sutil; Perez ... not so much.

Prayers and thoughts for Michael Schumacher and family.

Schumacher critical
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Prayers and thoughts for Michael Schumacher and family.

Schumacher critical
    Amen Peanut!
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!

Hope Schumy makes a full recovery. One of my childhood heroes.

As an aside, I'm done with Formula One. Seeing clowns like Maldonado getting a seat in a race winning car because he has a boat load of money, while genuine World-class talent like Di Resta don't get a seat is laughable. Most money driven sport around. What about changing the last race to double points as well? God almighty. Absolutely outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by EvertonBroncos View Post
    Hope Schumy makes a full recovery. One of my childhood heroes.

As an aside, I'm done with Formula One. Seeing clowns like Maldonado getting a seat in a race winning car because he has a boat load of money, while genuine World-class talent like Di Resta don't get a seat is laughable. Most money driven sport around. What about changing the last race to double points as well? God almighty. Absolutely outrageous.
    Those are pretty stupid things. I'll be watching to see how Ferrari does with Alonso and Raikkonen.

A new Formula is always interesting to me. However, I liked it when minimum weight and engine displacement were the only limits. The three liter formula introduced in 1966 produced many interesting engines of different configurations, number of cylinders, etc.

Honda will be supplying engines next year. That will be interesting.

Maldonado and Perez don't belong in F1. I think Di Resta will be back. He may go Indy Car. If so, he will be competitive. Hulkenberg has gotten the shaft, too. He might be a bit big for the F1 car weight limits.
    Last edited by samparnell; 02-19-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Those are pretty stupid things. I'll be watching to see how Ferrari does with Alonso and Raikkonen.

A new Formula is always interesting to me. However, I liked it when minimum weight and engine displacement were the only limits. The thee liter formula introduced in 1966 produced many interesting engines of different configurations, number of cylinders, etc.

Honda will be supplying engines next year. That will be interesting.

Maldonado and Perez don't belong in F1. I think Di Resta will be back. He may go Indy Car. If so, he will be competitive. Hulkenberg has gotten the shaft, too. He might be a bit big for the F1 car weight limits.
    Di Resta is off back to DTM for Mercedes where he was champion the year before his F1 debut, I'll be watching that to see if he does well again which I believe he will. The only good thing about these radical changes is that it's pretty impossible to predict the first couple of races, you could be seeing a Caterham or Marussia getting near the front of the grid, it's great in that respect.