Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    milk and cookies
    mmmm. Oreos.

    Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lochbuie, co
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    That sounds awesome!! One of my most favorite past times ....

    So hot out here already, and the backcountry isn't like Colorado.... I am so looking forward to August when we'll be in Ouray for about a week. We did a lot of the back country around Silverton a few years ago and loved it. Hoping to do a lot of different off-roading this year, even if we did much of the same it doesn't get old. We don't do anything extreme, just love going topless with the Jeep and enjoying the scenery ....
    Ouray "Switzerland of America", beautiful; also highway 550 "The Million Dollar Highway" is one of the most scenic drives in Colorado or anywhere. Imogene Pass is a moderate four wheel drive route that goes over to Telluride from Ouray. Durango to Ouray/Telluride might be my favorite scenic area in Colorado. There are a lot of back country roads/trails in that area ... Black Bear is another that goes into Telluride, you can only go down, not up; but this is known as a dangerous trail with very tight switchbacks with little road, been some people that didn't make it down... at least not as the driver
    Ouray has also been kind of famous with movies being filmed there - John Wayne's True Grit. A Netflix comedy with Sam Elliott and that Ashton Kucher? is set in a town called Garrison, Co but its opening pictures show Ouray, Co.
    Great place to have a vacation, hope you have lots of fun.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Driving from my house to Gunnison. Go through Santa Fe and Alamosa. Takes about six hours, I think. Nice drive.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lochbuie, co
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Driving from my house to Gunnison. Go through Santa Fe and Alamosa. Takes about six hours, I think. Nice drive.
    Another of my favorite things is disc golf, especially exploring courses in the mountains.
    When you go to Gunnison via Santa Fe do you go towards Taos? It reminded me of a disc golf course in Vadito, NM it is a ski area called Sipapu, it is a disc golf course in the summer. Coming down from Denver we go through Ft. Garland and down to Taos then into mountains there ... it is a nice drive in the New Mexico mountains. Taos is also an interesting town.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    4,611
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Driving from my house to Gunnison. Go through Santa Fe and Alamosa. Takes about six hours, I think. Nice drive.
    I have never been to Gunnison, but the scenery pics I've seen of it are beautiful. I love Santa Fe, know that's a scenic drive as well. My favorite place to stop in NM each time I'm passing through to CO. Love Taos too, but haven't been through there in many many years.



    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Ouray "Switzerland of America", beautiful; also highway 550 "The Million Dollar Highway" is one of the most scenic drives in Colorado or anywhere. Imogene Pass is a moderate four wheel drive route that goes over to Telluride from Ouray. Durango to Ouray/Telluride might be my favorite scenic area in Colorado. There are a lot of back country roads/trails in that area ... Black Bear is another that goes into Telluride, you can only go down, not up; but this is known as a dangerous trail with very tight switchbacks with little road, been some people that didn't make it down... at least not as the driver
    Ouray has also been kind of famous with movies being filmed there - John Wayne's True Grit. A Netflix comedy with Sam Elliott and that Ashton Kucher? is set in a town called Garrison, Co but its opening pictures show Ouray, Co.
    Great place to have a vacation, hope you have lots of fun.
    Thank you, Brian!! Always a good time when I get to relax in CO. Yes, I've been over the million dollar highway many times in my life.... funny though it seems wider the last few times. I always remembered it being so narrow, when I was younger. We haven't done any of the passes between Ouray and Telluride, so I'm sure we'll do a bit of the moderate ones. I'm aware of Black Bear, haha < that'll never happen. I was more adventurous when I was younger, now I just like to stay in one piece and wouldn't want to roll the vehicle. I learned my lesson since we're going for a week, and it's so popular for RV'rs in the summer to book a spot months ago for August .... so I can just relax and enjoy it.

    Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Driving from my house to Gunnison. Go through Santa Fe and Alamosa. Takes about six hours, I think. Nice drive.
    Drive safe, they just got a bunch of snow.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,390
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Another of my favorite things is disc golf, especially exploring courses in the mountains.
    When you go to Gunnison via Santa Fe do you go towards Taos? It reminded me of a disc golf course in Vadito, NM it is a ski area called Sipapu, it is a disc golf course in the summer. Coming down from Denver we go through Ft. Garland and down to Taos then into mountains there ... it is a nice drive in the New Mexico mountains. Taos is also an interesting town.
    Sorry it took a while to get back to you; end of the week was busy.

    On the way to Gunnison, when I get to Santa Fe via NM14, I get on US285 which takes me all the way to Saguache where CO114 takes me to US50 just east of Gunnison.

    In Northern NM, US285 goes through the valley between the Jemez and Sangre de Christo Mountains. In order to get to Taos from Santa Fe, one must leave US285 at Espanola and take NM68.

    US285 goes from Santa Fe through Espanola, Ojo Caliente, Tres Piedras, Antonito, La Jara, Alamosa, Monte Vista and Saguache on the way to Gunnison.

    Vadito is in Picuris Pueblo, I believe, in the Sangre de Christos. You should try Red River, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire which makes a loop east of Taos in the Sangre de Christos. Also, Taos Ski Valley is at the foot of Wheeler Peak, highest point in NM. Kit Carson lived in Taos and his house is near the plaza.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    13,854
    A few days ago, I started to post about PCH, Highway 1 in CA. It's a beautiful ride. There's a stretch on the north side of the Golden Gate that is very winding with a drop to the ocean. Really have to trust the driver and the brakes on your car. The last time I was on it, there were patches of the road that kind of disappeared. Today, I see in the news that a quarter of a mile of Highway 1 (Big Sur to the south) is buried under more than a ton of rock and dirt. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    9,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    A few days ago, I started to post about PCH, Highway 1 in CA. It's a beautiful ride. There's a stretch on the north side of the Golden Gate that is very winding with a drop to the ocean. Really have to trust the driver and the brakes on your car. The last time I was on it, there were patches of the road that kind of disappeared. Today, I see in the news that a quarter of a mile of Highway 1 (Big Sur to the south) is buried under more than a ton of rock and dirt. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
    Ahh, that's too bad. Hopefully they get it cleaned up and make any necessary road repairs.

    I love the drive through Big Sur - pretty much the whole drive north of LA up to Santa Cruz is breathtaking. The gas prices in some parts are breathtaking too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •