Raiders Name Terrelle Pryor Starting QB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ver-matt-flynn

Didn't see this posted and just saw it come through nfl.com. Yikes Good luck Oakland, but might as well see if he is worth building around. We all knew Flynn was not the long term answer. If he sucks you will know you have to pick a QB early next year.

It's not the choice the Oakland Raiders planned to make. It's probably not even the choice they wanted to make. But Terrelle Pryor will open the season as the team's starting quarterback.

Raiders coaches informed players that Pryor will start in this week's season opener against the Indianapolis Colts, a source informed of the move told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Monday night. Pryor beat out Matt Flynn, who had been the presumptive starter since he was traded to the Raiders during the offseason.

Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle first reported the news, and Pryor winning the job hardly comes as a surprise. Flynn sat out practice last week with what Raiders coach Dennis Allen called a "sore arm." And Pryor was first in line at practice taking snaps Monday, all but cementing his spot atop the depth chart. Allen has refused to publicly announce a starter.

It's a bitter disappointment for Flynn. An eerily identical scenario happened last season in Seattle, when then-rookie Russell Wilson beat out Flynn despite the veteran's high salary. The Seahawks wound up being a Super Bowl contender; the Raiders' roster is far different.

Oakland's shaky pass protection and suspect overall offensive talent gave Pryor an edge in this competition because he can make plays on his own with his legs.

"When you see Terrelle in a game, he just looks faster than the other players on the field," Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson said last week, via CSN Bay Area. "That's what jumped out at me and probably jumped out at most people when they watch him play. He can run. He is a tremendous athlete, and he's got the ability to make plays. Right now, we're looking for playmakers."

Flynn is a system quarterback without a system. Pryor has a lot to work on, but he should give the Raiders a better chance of pulling off upsets, like when they face the Colts on Sunday.

The odds suggest we'll see Pryor and Flynn start games this season. And the odds are even heavier that we'll see a different starting quarterback in Oakland next season.

I like Pryor but I doubt that he can be a valid NFL starting QB. He has the ability to make the big play and most likely will have a couple of good games, especially with his feet. He lacks accuracy, experience and consistency though.
    Even though he's playing for the Raiders, I hope that he's having a good season :/
    "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    I like Pryor but I doubt that he can be a valid NFL starting QB. He has the ability to make the big play and most likely will have a couple of good games, especially with his feet. He lacks accuracy, experience and consistency though.
    Even though he's playing for the Raiders, I hope that he's having a good season :/
    i think pryor is set to fail IMO, at least Broncos management gave tebow weapons and a top Defense when he had to play. i do think Pryor is more talented than tebow though
    -------
    Official 2012 Adopt-a-Bronco - DT

The Raiders didn't look terrible today, Pryor was great when he ran today

They were horrible imo. The game shouldn't have been that close at all! But Pryor had a great day.
    "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    They were horrible imo. The game shouldn't have been that close at all! But Pryor had a great day.
    They weren't horrible, coverage was good for the most part. Pressure on Luck was surprisingly there, Pryor made some plays but not out of design. Nowhere near horrible.

With their o-line in the bad shape they are in, Pryor is there best chance to do anything with his mobility.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    With their o-line in the bad shape they are in, Pryor is there best chance to do anything with his mobility.
    Methinks watching Flynn flounder the other day kinda proves my point. Maybe you guys don't win that one with Pryor, but he could have kept a few plays alive.

Just to revisit this. Pryor has looked pretty decent this year, and he keeps improving which is all you can ask for a young qb who apparently had terrible qb coaching in college from what i've read. He definately is one of Al's few bright spots in his last few drafts.

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Yeah he isn't great but he has not been terrible either. He has performed better than I expected he would.

And now they keep throwing McGloin into the fire when Pryor has showed flashes of being good. Thats why they are the Raiders.....

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Quote Originally Posted by roushmartin6 View Post
    And now they keep throwing McGloin into the fire when Pryor has showed flashes of being good. Thats why they are the Raiders.....
    Pryor was good in like 2 games, decent in 1 and AWFUL in the rest. He fell off big time after the first 2 games. Just an awful passer.

http://www.nfl.com/player/terrellepryor/2531332/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattmcgloin/2542065/profile

compare the UDFA and the 3rd year player....

This game is a setup for Prior imo,to make him look bad.Their is no way he comes close to beating the Broncos.I guess it will be justified about the QB change once we manhandle Prior and he loses.

It'll be exiting for us Raider fans until TP rolls out right every other play for a short loss. Then I see TP forcing passes for pick 6's...Can't wait for Johnny Football!