• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJCOSTEL
    Practice Squad
    • Apr 2007

How long will Manning play?

I am greedy for more time with PFM at the helm of the Broncos. He is an amazing player and I think could play several more years if he wants. His style of play and quick release cuts down on the punishment he has to absorb each year. I think Warren Moon played until he was 43. Farve was 41 I think when he retired. Another 3-5 years for PFM would be fine by me.

I think it is unlikely he will retire because of injury or age making him unable to compete at a high level. Its just a matter of what he wants to do. Hopefully he will stay hungry for more records and more rings. (Can't have little Brother with more SB rings than him)
  • MileHile
    Practice Squad
    • Sep 2012

Your over thinking it, just enjoy the moment(s). His playing for a ring this year. If he wins I'd assume he goes back to back.

Taken from my local forum.

As much as i hate the broncos is it too early to call for an undefeated regular season? i mean look at their schedule lol..only teams that will give them trouble are the giants, pats and texans
    was MileHigh

Comment

• Blazindro
      Bench Warmer
      • Oct 2005

It is one thing to keep on playing it is another to still be an elite level QB as you get older. Favre played for along time, and while he was still decent, no where near what he was when he was younger. Realistically Manning could play a few more years. How many of those years can he be elite, though? Could he be elite for as long as he plays because of his knowledge, decision making, and being able to read defenses? No one knows. I hope he can play at an elite level at least a couple more seasons.

Comment

• chad72
        Special Teams
        • Mar 2012

Broncos have decisions to make, Decker will probably be gone or re-signed for cheap. They are young enough on D if they keep their 1 or 2 year stop gap players.

2013 and 2014 seasons, I can see strong seasons from the Broncos but after that, salary cap and free agency losses will loom large enough that they need to draft real smart and get quality players for pass rushing and secondary, and possibly mid round skill position players too.

The grind of a 16 game season and father time, both of them eventually catch up to what will then be a 38-39 year old QB at the end of the 2014 season.

Comment

• KoolBreeze
          Practice Squad
          • Feb 2012

I think he'll play until he decides that he can no longer play the game at the level he currently can. I think he was a little off last night in the 1st half, but he put on a show in the 2nd half. I think even if we win the Super Bowl this year, he'll likely be back next year, from the looks of last night. Once his playing career is done, I suspect he'll become an elite coach in short order.

As a football fan, I'm just enjoying watching him while I can. Even before he became a Bronco, I was a huge P. Manning fan, in spite of all of the dreadful defeats we endured against his Colts. He is simple a very special player that doesn't come around often. As a Bronco fan, I'm ecstatic that we once again have a great QB at the helm after a long dry spell.
          ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

Comment

• DEN_Manning_18
            Practice Squad
            • Aug 2012

I think Manning has probably 3-5 more seasons left. After he does retire, I just hope the Broncos can continue being a great team. I don't want a rebuilding period.

Comment

• MegaOrange
              Special Teams
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Blazindro View Post
              It is one thing to keep on playing it is another to still be an elite level QB as you get older. Favre played for along time, and while he was still decent, no where near what he was when he was younger. Realistically Manning could play a few more years. How many of those years can he be elite, though? Could he be elite for as long as he plays because of his knowledge, decision making, and being able to read defenses? No one knows. I hope he can play at an elite level at least a couple more seasons.
              Manning's style of play is in his favor. Both Favre and Elway had a more roaming style. This could extend Manning a little.
              Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

• chad72
                Special Teams
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DEN_Manning_18 View Post
                I think Manning has probably 3-5 more seasons left. After he does retire, I just hope the Broncos can continue being a great team. I don't want a rebuilding period.

Just sign Curtis Painter and let him start if you know Peyton is going to retire. He should get you a good QB in the draft then.

I think that is why the Giants put Painter as the #2 QB so that they can get their hands on Clowney who will go within the top 3

Comment

• Brohemoth
                  Armchair Guru
                  • Nov 2010

Maybe he is the next Morgan Freeman and will look exactly the same for 20 years.

Comment

• TheArtofManning
                    Bench Warmer
                    • Jan 2013

One thing Manning has said about playing (referring to other players in general):
                    Is that guys love to still play, but what's eventually gets them out of the game, is the practice, the meetings, the film, etc. Essentially, what drives guys to retire is all of the preparation.

Well, in Manning's case, he loves that stuff. He lives for that film study, the preparation, the planning. So I don't see him as a guy that would burn out. And let's be clear, the QBs don't take the hits and the pounding.
                    So mentally, I would see no issues for him to fulfil the remaining 4 years of his contract, which would have him playing through 2016. (He turns 40 in 2016). If he's physically OK, he'll play through his contract, unless management no longer wanted him, which seems unlikely. That's my best take on it.
                    Last edited by TheArtofManning; 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• BRONCOLT
                      Practice Squad
                      • Aug 2012

Manning himself has stated he will play as long as he can help his team win and he enjoys the preparation for games and practice.

so, when the day comes he isn't enjoying those things and helping the team win, he will walk away.
                      PROUND MEMBER OF THE MILE HIGH MANNING FIVEHEAD FAN CLUB! MEMBER #101!

Comment

• Al Wilson_56
                        Practice Squad
                        • Jan 2008

The Dallas D, and next week versus the Giants.

I didn't get to watch the Dallas Giants game because my dad is a huge Bengals fans. But I watched Nfl game day final, and the Dallas D had 6 turnovers. Was that them just playing really good, or were the Giants sucking as well helping with the turnovers. But what scares me if Eli Manning didn't throw that interception in the very end of the game, the Giants probably would of won, and had come back after turning the ball over 5 times. We are going to have to be on game next week. I honestly think we will win next week, but it will be a tough game, what are your guy's opinions? I honestly believe we win by at least two touchdowns.
                        Go Broncos!

Comment

• Al Wilson_56
                          Practice Squad
                          • Jan 2008

Also I've been looking at these forums since about 2005, but I never really posted. I'm going to try to come out of my shell and come around more, nice to meet everyone!

Comment

• damastez
                            Practice Squad
                            • Jan 2012

It was a combination of both. Dallas did a great job of stripping David Wilson (who did a terrible job of protecting the football in traffic). Both teams were atrocious to start with. They were turning the ball over so fast, I thought we were going to get to the thrid quarter before the announcers could get around to introducing the starting offenses and defenses.

Comment

• Skylan
                              Ring of Famer
                              • Apr 2008

If we don't turn the ball over I think we win the game. Wilson can't be trusted, their second string back is injured. One of their starting cb might be out with a concussion. If we can hold Rice to 36 yards we're going to shut down whatever back they throw at us. Going to have to pick our poison with Nicks and Cruz, not sure we'd be able to shut both down. Meyers should be containable by Treviathan.

On that note, I only watched the first half of the game last night: The turnovers looked very much a product of the giants Offense sucking less than the Cowboys Defense being great.

Comment

Working...
                              X