Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hypothetical Head Coach Candidates

Most people are finally voicing their displeasure with John Fox, and so my question to the boards is who would you rather have than Fox?

Who could the Broncos get that would push the team over the hump and put the team in a place to stop underachieving?

Gruden.....
    His fire and passion would be a welcome change.

Too bad for us he has a job hes not likely to leave....even for Manning and a shot at a SB.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Gruden.....

Too bad for us he has a job hes not likely to leave....even for Manning and a shot at a SB.
    I 2nd this

1. Dan Quinn
    2. Adam Gase

no one. Fox isn't going anywhere. When that time comes, I'll vote.

Gruden.....

I was thinking about him when I wrote the original post in the thread. Obviously the main matter at hand is that it is questionable on if he'd want to coach the Broncos but it's definitely an attractive opportunity.

If he were to become the coach I see no way Denver loses the Super Bowl next year. While Peyton brings a good, mellow and professional tone to the offense there needs to be someone of main leadership with fire.

Think Yin and Yang almost.

I still believe that a dancing monkey would be, at worst, a slight downgrade.

I'm only 25% joking. Really.
    [SIZE="1"]This post may or may not have been written while under the influence of alcohol, and I disclaim all responsibility for its contents, herein...[/SIZE]

Definitely NOT Shanahan, Gruden, or Cowher. Those are the names I know people will throw around, but Shanny is insane and wants too much control, while the latter two were arguably not even great coaches.

Gruden won with Dungy's team, and did absolutely nothing after that. Cowher won the worst officiated Super Bowl in history during the same year that the NFL declared the Steelers the league's greatest franchise; that was after he got blown out in the only other appearance he made.

Guys who yell at their players aren't better coaches. They just have worse temperaments, which translates into huge mistakes. Screaming doesn't equal "passion." Carroll is unique in that he's still a guy the players love, but comes with a lot of energy. He's probably on the same Adderall his players take.

John Fox is starting to remind me of Jim Caldwell when he took over the Colts. Stands there and does nothing while his players win games, and then makes some boneheaded decisions at critical moments when it is up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by maggnus View Post
    1. Dan Quinn
    2. Adam Gase
    I could get on board with that....
    Quinn is a great defensive coach who could take on the HC role and let Gase call plays.

But Gase for HC? No thanks....we cant afford to try a guy out at this stage. If we were on the verge of the playoffs, I would be all for Gase...but we need the experience that comes with coaching a SB championship team.

Gase will get his, but Im not sure hes ready for our team to be his....just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    no one. Fox isn't going anywhere. When that time comes, I'll vote.
    I agree. I don't think Elway has the cohones to fire him. But my question to those like me who want him fired is to decide who could do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    I agree. I don't think Elway has the cohones to fire him. But my question to those like me who want him fired is to decide who could do a better job.
    For one, "who could do a better job" is purely speculative.

Two, why would Elway's decision to keep Fox be about his cajones? It has nothing to do with that. He showed a pretty big pair by bringing in a 36 year old QB recovering from neck surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    Definitely NOT Shanahan, Gruden, or Cowher. Those are the names I know people will throw around, but Shanny is insane and wants too much control, while the latter two were arguably not even great coaches.

Gruden won with Dungy's team, and did absolutely nothing after that. Cowher won the worst officiated Super Bowl in history during the same year that the NFL declared the Steelers the league's greatest franchise; that was after he got blown out in the only other appearance he made.

Guys who yell at their players aren't better coaches. They just have worse temperaments, which translates into huge mistakes. Screaming doesn't equal "passion." Carroll is unique in that he's still a guy the players love, but comes with a lot of energy. He's probably on the same Adderall his players take.

John Fox is starting to remind me of Jim Caldwell when he took over the Colts. Stands there and does nothing while his players win games, and then makes some boneheaded decisions at critical moments when it is up to him.
    Gruden was an excellent coach. He may have won the SB with Dungys team, but he also turned Al Davis rat trap into a successful few years.
    He has the pedigree and the fire to coach this team. Im not really a huge fan of any of the guys you mentioned, but the other options are Fox...or an unproven guy looking for his chance. There aren't many good coaches without jobs and yes Shanny, Cower and Gruden are all good coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    For one, "who could do a better job" is purely speculative.

Two, why would Elway's decision to keep Fox be about his cajones? It has nothing to do with that. He showed a pretty big pair by bringing in a 36 year old QB recovering from neck surgery.
    Because firing a coach who just made a Super Bowl appearance isn't exactly normal or even reasonable, in most cases.

Signing Peyton didn't take cajones he was clearly a better option than what was currently on the roster (albeit a great move, don't get me wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
    every year teams bring in new HC, what 7 or 8 this year? Last year, the same thing. Very few make it in the league. I don't see a whole lot of great HC prospects out there. Most of this years hires won't make it already.

Gruden was an excellent coach. He may have won the SB with Dungys team, but he also turned Al Davis rat trap into a successful few years.
    He has the pedigree and the fire to coach this team. Im not really a huge fan of any of the guys you mentioned, but the other options are Fox...or an unproven guy looking for his chance. There aren't many good coaches without jobs and yes Shanny, Cower and Gruden are all good coaches.
    agreed. No idea how anyone can say otherwise.