• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denver Mike
    Banned User
    • Mar 2009

Eric Decker: I need to do what's best for my family

Eric Decker had a great season with the Denver Broncos, but that might not be enough to bring him back. In a recent radio interview, it sounded like Decker might seek No. 1 receiver money -- somewhere else.

Eric Decker is just a few weeks away from being one of the biggest free agents on the market. The more we hear him talk, the more he sounds like a guy that is about to be a former member of the Denver Broncos.

Speaking on SIRIUSXM NFL Radio on Tuesday, Decker said he would "welcome" a call from the Broncos if they can get on the same page. But he needs to do what's best for his family.

Translation: The Broncos and Decker aren't particularly close on a deal.

Yes, saying that you need to do what's "best for your family" is a cliche that athletes fall back on before free agency. But these comments should be put in context of what's been buzzing around Decker. NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reported on Super Bowl Sunday that the Broncos fear they will lose Decker because he wants more money than they are willing to pay. Internally, the team views Decker as a No. 2 receiver. Decker and his agent can't be thrilled with that news coming out.

It's clear the Broncos' offseason priorities lie elsewhere. Decker is not likely to get the franchise tag from Denver. Chris Wesseling said Tuesday that letting go of Decker would be a big mistake. I believe that he's a replaceable part.

Decker is probably going to get "No. 1 receiver" money from some other team, so we'll find out who's right soon enough.
  • xX-Bronco-Xx
    Is this the real life?
    • Jul 2005

I don't blame Decker for leaving at the same time I think he's expendable anyways. As long as Peyton is on the field he can make any receiver with decent talent look good.

Decker's stock is at an all time high and there is no doubt some team is going to overpay him with a ridiculous contract.

Bye bye.

Comment

• roushmartin6
      Football Immortal
      • May 2007

Have fun playing on a bad team that was desperate for a reciever Decker
      sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• Yakka27
        Special Teams
        • Feb 2012

Why would anyone blame Decker for leaving?

Recently married, got a kid on the way. Get paid and good luck.

Comment

• ERoyal248
          All-Pro
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
          I don't blame Decker for leaving at the same time I think he's expendable anyways. As long as Peyton is on the field he can make any receiver with decent talent look good.

Decker's stock is at an all time high and there is no doubt some team is going to overpay him with a ridiculous contract.

Bye bye.
          Not true.

How many receivers for Manning had 1200 yards, 10+ TD's in back to back years.

Those type of receivers dont grow on trees.

And hes not expendable, we'll miss him greatly.

Comment

• Den615
            Playmaker
            • Jul 2008

Don't blame Decker for chasing the money, but I'm thrilled the Broncos aren't going to overpay for him. Whoever pays more than $10 million annually will be very disappointed in the return they get. He will be tough to replace for sure, but not impossible.

Comment

• ERoyal248
              All-Pro
              • Aug 2009

That said, assuming this is true, it will be interesting to see who Elway replaces him with.

LOT of cheaper FA's.

Lafell, Tate, Maclin, Cooper, Sanders to name a few.

Comment

• notmyname
                Bench Warmer
                • Dec 2013

I'll do what's best for my family
                (Broncos and Decker not close to deal)
                Neither of these two things should come as a surprise..He said the same thing after the Super Bowl and the other is what has been expected since then

Comment

• dizzolve
                  Orange Rush
                  • Mar 2009

Deck has made some good plays and has come up short on 'otherwise' homerun catches. The Broncos will be fine without him.

I've always liked Deck. But there is a lot about him that goes counter to 'all in' 'at any cost' attitude that helps a teams get over the last hump. And I can't blame him for not having the 100% heart in football. I mean look at the guy- he's arguably the most beautiful player in the league -at least that's what my GF says. Sure he'll have outside interests.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing MLB before it's all said and done.

I am not happy to see him go though- he does have an edge about him that this team lacks in general. But it does make sense that he could be gone. And I am glad to hear that Elway won't be overpaying anyone. There is no room for that in the cap era - right?

I believe Manning thought Deck would be better than he actually is/was. There were times this season I'd seen Decker give it back to Manning - Manning would complain that Deck made a mistake - and when Manning missed- Deck would visibly react negatively toward Manning. Touche

We can use more speed at our #2 - and more sure-footedness <--you know what I'm talking bout. Deck has a famous wife and likely doesn't need the biggest contract - but if he says he does - fine - go get it.
                  The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• onanygivensunda
                    Playmaker
                    • Sep 2010

Decker had 1 catch for 6 yards in the SB. He was targeted 5 times.

He's not close to being a #1 receiver in the league.

Whoever pays him more than $8M/year is a fool.
                    "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

• ERoyal248
                      All-Pro
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                      Decker had 1 catch for 6 yards in the SB. He was targeted 5 times.

He's not close to being a #1 receiver in the league.

Whoever pays him more than $8M/year is a fool.
                      Looks like 9-10 mil per year is what he may get.

If reports the last week or so are true.

8 mil per is the most i'd give him but i dont see Elway going that far for him.

Comment

• xX-Bronco-Xx
                        Is this the real life?
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                        Not true.

How many receivers for Manning had 1200 yards, 10+ TD's in back to back years.

Those type of receivers dont grow on trees.

And hes not expendable, we'll miss him greatly.
                        What exactly did any of those stats do for us in the Super Bowl? Nothing. If you look at Decker compared to the other receivers we would have to resign Decker is the odd man out. We'd be better off trying to resign/restructure Demaryius, Welker, and Julius than him.

Look at the all these past Colts recievers: Ken Dilger, Austin Collie, Brandon Stokley, Marcus Pollard, Dallas Clark, Blair White, Anthony Gonzales are all receivers Manning has made look better than they really are. Look at how majority of these guys have ended up after they left Manning. Nowhere near as good.

Take into account he's going to be asking for ridiculous $$$, some people are saying 10 mill a year. That's 10 mill we could be spending to fix on places we desperately need help in and not on a luxury wide receiver.

I mean it's nice to say we have 3 wide receivers that could be number one for any team in the NFL but that just isn't something that a team absolutely needs to win a championship. So for the amount of money he wants compared to how much we can allocate somewhere else he is indeed expendable. Which isn't to say I won't miss him.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                          All-Pro
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                          What exactly did any of those stats do for us in the Super Bowl? Nothing. If you look at Decker compared to the other receivers we would have to resign Decker is the odd man out. We'd be better off trying to resign/restructure Demaryius, Welker, and Julius than him.

Look at the all these past Colts recievers: Ken Dilger, Austin Collie, Brandon Stokley, Marcus Pollard, Dallas Clark, Blair White, Anthony Gonzales are all receivers Manning has made look better than they really are. Look at how majority of these guys have ended up after they left Manning. Nowhere near as good.

Take into account he's going to be asking for ridiculous $$$, some people are saying 10 mill a year. That's 10 mill we could be spending to fix on places we desperately need help in and not on a luxury wide receiver.

I mean it's nice to say we have 3 wide receivers that could be number one for any team in the NFL but that just isn't something that a team absolutely needs to win a championship. So for the amount of money he wants compared to how much we can allocate somewhere else he is indeed expendable. Which isn't to say I won't miss him.
                          Welker is one more concussion possibly away from retirement.

I never said i'd pay him 10 mil a year.

I'm just saying people think he's easily replaceable are in for a rude awakening.

I have said before i would sacrifice a little on offense if it meant being more balanced (defense, OL, run game, etc)

8 mil per is the most i'd go and even that is pushing it.

Comment

• xX-Bronco-Xx
                            Is this the real life?
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                            Welker is one more concussion possibly away from retirement.

I never said i'd pay him 10 mil a year.

I'm just saying people think he's easily replaceable are in for a rude awakening.

I have said before i would sacrifice a little on offense if it meant being more balanced (defense, OL, run game, etc)

8 mil per is the most i'd go and even that is pushing it.
                            That's why I said we should restructure Welker's contract.

I'm not taking expendable as in us expecting whoever we replace Decker with to have 1k yards and 10 TD's. And quite honestly the Super Bowl showed we don't even need from the replacement in the first place.

Even 8 million to me is too much for what we could fix other positions with.

Comment

• xX-Bronco-Xx
                              Is this the real life?
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by notmyname
                              That list tho ...I can't say anyone thought of them receivers as good at anytime of their career expect Clark which started to fall off after '09 with Manning as the QB
                              That's sort of my point. Manning can get production from anyone as long as there is even some talent. Spending that much money on a position we can already get production out of just doesn't seem economical to me. And like I said above I don't believe we even need a receiver that produced as much as Decker in the first place (taking into account the other players we have already).

There is going to be MANY serviceable wide receivers in this years free agency that would cost only a fraction of what Decker would demand. We'd be better off signing one of them and fixing spots we need help in.

Comment

Working...
                              X