• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notmyname
    Bench Warmer
    • Dec 2013

T.J. Ward's agent addresses his situation

By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com Mar 5

Safety T.J. Ward could become a free agent on March 11, but the Browns have tried to keep him in Cleveland.The team, though, chose to apply the transition tag to center Alex Mack and not make Ward the franchise or transition player.

Ward can negotiate with the Browns up to and after the start of free agency.

Ward's agent Josh Arnold released a statement this week addressing Ward's status.

It read:

“After receiving numerous requests from local and national media outlets, fans, and several others connected to the Cleveland community, we felt it necessary to provide a statement with respect to T.J.'s current contract situation.

“Detailed contract discussions with multiple front office executives of the Browns began last month at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Since then, several conversations have occurred in an attempt to secure a new deal for T.J., but we've yet to agree on terms that work for both sides.

Just to go along with this thread

Comment

• the0rangecrush
      Captain
      • Apr 2009

If we land Jackson and Ward, can we be called the Denver Browns? I kid, but Charlie will feel even more at home here
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Vhailor
        Analytical Thinker
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
        If we land Jackson and Ward, can we be called the Denver Browns? I kid, but Charlie will feel even more at home here
        Wasn't it during the Shanahan-era that Denver was, at one point, nicknamed the Browncos?

Anyway, sadly enough, Jackson is off the market.
        Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
        sigpic

Comment

• onanygivensunda
          Playmaker
          • Sep 2010

Here's an idea to kick around.

Elway should put together an offer sheet for Seattle's back-up RFA SS Jeron Johnson, to whom the Seahawks have extended a 2nd round tender.

He's been outstanding on special teams and is a high-upside ball-hawking playmaker that just doesn't see the field much behind Kam Chancellor.

Last year he was Seattle's dime back.

I'm thinking that if Denver put together an offer sheet that would pay him ~$2M on average over four years Seattle would let him go for Denver's 2nd round pick (#63 overall).
          "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

• Denver Mike
            Banned User
            • Mar 2009

I love Ward's physicality. That's something we really need in our secondary. And why Seattle wins so many games. We need our opponents to get tired of being whaled on in the back field.

You don't tire out (as easily) when you're being smacked by toothpicks..

I like Ward's physicality and his price tag in comparison to Byrd.

Comment

• the0rangecrush
              Captain
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post

Elway should put together an offer sheet for Seattle's back-up RFA SS Jeron Johnson, to whom the Seahawks have extended a 2nd round tender.

He's been outstanding on special teams and is a high-upside ball-hawking playmaker that just doesn't see the field much behind Kam Chancellor.

I'm thinking that if Denver put together an offer sheet that would pay him ~$2M on average over four years Seattle would let him go for Denver's 2nd round pick (#63 overall).
              Ew no thanks, wouldnt be an upgrade to what we have
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Denver Mike
                Banned User
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Vhailor View Post
                Wasn't it during the Shanahan-era that Denver was, at one point, nicknamed the Browncos?

Anyway, sadly enough, Jackson is off the market.

Ew, yeah that was something I had remembered a couple days ago but was never going to repeat.

I can't remember exactly but we scored like 3 Browns from FA that year. (2007?) I honestly don't remember the names or who. But I did remember having to hear the Browncos junk.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                  All-Pro
                  • Aug 2009

I'd rather not, completely unproven.

Not worth a 2nd.

Sign a Ward/Whitner/Ihedigbo and keep our pick.

Comment

• Amari24
                    Starter
                    • Jan 2010

The Broncos aren't giving up a 2nd for a backup safety...

And I watched Johnson in college at Boise. He's not worth giving up a draft pick in this draft.

Comment

• onanygivensunda
                      Playmaker
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                      The Broncos aren't giving up a 2nd for a backup safety...

And I watched Johnson in college at Boise. He's not worth giving up a draft pick in this draft.
                      That may be a short-sighted perspective.

DBs improve in Seattle's system. Pete takes great pride in developing DBs, being one himself many years ago.

Look at Sherman (5th rd), Browner (UDFA), Maxwell (6th rd), Chancellor (5th rd), etc.

Had they played like NFL starters in college, they would have been drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Jeron Johnson can play... and he'd be relatively cheap in the long run.
                      "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

• Denver Mike
                        Banned User
                        • Mar 2009

^ It's still a lot to lose, hopeful to gain gamble..

Comment

• Den615
                          Playmaker
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
                          Ew, yeah that was something I had remembered a couple days ago but was never going to repeat.

I can't remember exactly but we scored like 3 Browns from FA that year. (2007?) I honestly don't remember the names or who. But I did remember having to hear the Browncos junk.
                          It was 2005. And for all the crap we got for it, those guys nearly took us to the Super Bowl. We added Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown, Ebenezer Ekuban, and Michael Myers one year. Then the next year we brought in Kenard Lang. In flashes that line (with Trevor Pryce as well) was borderline dominant. Until The Steelers figured out Larry Coyer's blitz scheme anyway.

Comment

• Denver Mike
                            Banned User
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                            It was 2005. And for all the crap we got for it, those guys nearly took us to the Super Bowl. We added Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown, Ebenezer Ekuban, and Michael Myers one year. Then the next year we brought in Kenard Lang. In flashes that line (with Trevor Pryce as well) was borderline dominant. Until The Steelers figured out Larry Coyer's blitz scheme anyway.
                            Thats right. I knew it was definitely a while back. And I do remember it actually working out quite well for us. Hearing about the Browncos was never fun though :/

Comment

• Denver Mike
                              Banned User
                              • Mar 2009

I do miss me some Ekuban though..

Comment

• ERoyal248
                                All-Pro
                                • Aug 2009

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey 15h
                                In addition to Jairus Byrd, #Broncos could have strong interest in T.J. Ward because of the Heckert connection.

Comment

Working...
                                X