• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jsunn
    Practice Squad
    • Sep 2014

New Camera Policy at the Stadium?

Hello All,

I just came back from Denver's 1st win against the Colts for the 2014 season!!

I was dismayed that I was told I couldn't bring in my digital camera, its a DSLR?!? I was told that cameras with detachable lenses were no longer allowed.

The closest thing I could find was this relating to the "clear bag policy".

Small cameras, binoculars and cell phones may be carried in loosely or in an approved clear bag.
    It also seemed to be enforced very inconsistently as I saw more than a few walking around with DLSRs.

Has there been an announcement, even guest services couldn't point me to anything that was written down.

Thanks, it was a great game but wish I could have take a few more pictures with something a little better than my phone.

-Jsunn
  • JWinn
    Go Broncos!
    • Aug 2004

Hi Jsunn!

Wow, I'm stunned!

I have brought my wife's big Nikon digital, with detachable lenses. And I brought my bigger lens that day (last time), But it was a couple of years ago, before they started this new bag policy.

I bought a smaller one a few years back anyway, because my old little one died, & I just didn't want to lug that big thing around, and then they did this bag thing…..

Didn't know this was part of the policy. And see no reason why, if it fits in my bag (it would), why I could not bring it in.

I've also advised people here in the past that it's ok to bring such a camera to a game, and never had anyone come back and tell me I was wrong.

Again, stunned.

Gonna ask about this next week.

Sorry Jsunn, that bites, for sure.

Comment

• Jsunn
      Practice Squad
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
      Hi Jsunn!

Wow, I'm stunned!

I have brought my wife's big Nikon digital, with detachable lenses. And I brought my bigger lens that day (last time), But it was a couple of years ago, before they started this new bag policy.

I bought a smaller one a few years back anyway, because my old little one died, & I just didn't want to lug that big thing around, and then they did this bag thing…..

Didn't know this was part of the policy. And see no reason why, if it fits in my bag (it would), why I could not bring it in.

I've also advised people here in the past that it's ok to bring such a camera to a game, and never had anyone come back and tell me I was wrong.

Again, stunned.

Gonna ask about this next week.

Sorry Jsunn, that bites, for sure.

Thanks, and let me know what you find out.

-Jason

Comment

• JWinn
        Go Broncos!
        • Aug 2004

OK, I asked several people about cameras today, and all of them told me it's OK to bring in a DSLR as long as the lens isn't of "Professional length". I am assuming that means over like a six inch lens, which is what mine zooms out to.

To a man, (and woman) all of them told me they would let you thru as long as you did not appear to be a professional photographer, carrying what appears to be pro equipment.

But a fan with a Nikon with a zoom lens? No problem. Like I said, I have brought mine in myself with no problems.

The one thing we think is possible;

The gate people are not all long time employees. There's a fairly high turnover rate for gate people. It's possible you just got an untrained, or improperly trained person. One who was not paying attention when they told him or her what can and cannot be brought in. Or, you got someone who's asserting his little bit of authority a bit to much.

Again, as long as we are not talking about a huge lens, you should have been able to bring it in. Try another gate next time. Or at least another person.

Comment

• Jsunn
          Practice Squad
          • Sep 2014

JWinn,

Thank you very much, I appreciate you asking. I am hoping to go to a couple of more games this year. I'll be sure to ask a couple of folks if I get turned away. The lens I typically use is my 24-105. Its not a huge zoom. I'd love to take my 70-300mm, but I might be pushing it.

My next game is the 19th of Oct I think.

Take Care,
          -Jason

Comment

• JWinn
            Go Broncos!
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jsunn View Post
            JWinn,

Thank you very much, I appreciate you asking. I am hoping to go to a couple of more games this year. I'll be sure to ask a couple of folks if I get turned away. The lens I typically use is my 24-105. Its not a huge zoom. I'd love to take my 70-300mm, but I might be pushing it.

My next game is the 19th of Oct I think.

Take Care,
            -Jason

Absolutely!

If you get turned away at one gate, try another gate, or at least another gate agent. Try to find one in a blue Guest Relation polo shirt, a little older. Most gates have someone like that around. Look for one with a bunch of pins on his or her ID lanyard. A different pin for each year.

Many have 10 to 12 pins, and that's who you wanna find.

They know the rules, and might even assist you getting by a kid in a yellow jacket at a main gate.

Be very friendly and nice. Sugar gets a MUCH better response than acid in this area.

Just have it as small as possible, zoomed in, and IN a clear bag. Leave the cameras own case in the car, or at home. I know, I would prefer to take it's case myself, but…… Just the camera.

That's the trick under the new rules. Everything you have, phones, keys, wallet, camera, everything goes into the clear bag at entry. They glance in that, and send you on to the wand.

And since everything is in the bag, that goes fast. :thumb:

And as I always post, go in early. I imagine you run a greater risk of an agent just refusing you rather than argue with you about it (or anything) with 2000 people behind you.

Good luck! But you SHOULD be ok.

Comment

• VADER72
              Special Teams
              • Dec 2005

Any new updates on this? I'm going to my first game at Mile high. Going to my first Bronco game and want to take my dslr, just depends on which lense I want to risk. I'll be taking Uber, so won't have the option to take it back to a car if turned away. Or should I just play it safe and use my iPhone and blast as many pics as I want
              Last edited by VADER72; 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• JWinn
                Go Broncos!
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VADER72 View Post
                Any new updates on this? I'm going to my first game at Mile high. Going to my first Bronco game and want to take my dslr, just depends on which lense I want to risk. I'll be taking Uber, so won't have the option to take it back to a car if turned away. Or should I just play it safe and use my iPhone and blast as many pics as I want
                There's really nothing to update. You can bring in your dslr with a big zoom lens, just not the case. It all has to go into the clear bag. Your free to blast away with that all you like.

You just can't take in a huge lens that needs it's own stand, or anything like that.

I would suggest, if there might be any weather, leave the big camera at home and go with the phone, but if it's clear, there no reason not to take your real camera. I still see people with dslr with larger zoom lenses every game.

Yesterday;

Three girls pop out onto the patio all excited to take pictures. That's it. They just want shots of each other with the field in the background, and one of them has a bigger dslr with a medium sized detachable lens on it.

There's two cops, three (at least) Guest Relations people and me, talking to a ticket representative who has stepped out to check the game for a few minutes.

One of the girls ask me if they can take pictures there for a minute, and of course, they can. None of the real employees said a word to them about their camera.

A guy comes out in the fourth, wants to take a few shots of his kid, and get a few of them together (with my help). Again, a bigger dlsr with a detachable zoom lens (small one) on it. Held it myself. Don't remember the brand though, sorry.

As I said before, I am shocked Jsunn was refused entrance because his camera has a detachable lens. Not only do I see it every game, I have taken one in myself.

You should have no problem.

Comment

• VADER72
                  Special Teams
                  • Dec 2005

Thank you my friend, this helps. I'll use your suggestion and keep an eye on the weather and then decide.

Comment

• 86Elwayfan
                    The Future is Upon us!!!
                    • Sep 2011

JWinn was wondering if you could run a question by your rep for me with regards to a "single purpose video camera" I just got a GoPro and thought it would be fun to take it to the playoff game in a couple weeks, but am thinking with "single purpose video camera" being one of the restricted items that I would not be allowed to take it in. GoPros can technically function as a normal camera but do not typically. I called over to the stadium and they didn't give me a clear yes or no...so now I am in limbo...It was a "well it can be used as a camera so I'm not sure" type of answer.

Any help would be appreciated!
                    sigpic

Comment

• JWinn
                      Go Broncos!
                      • Aug 2004

I called this morning about the GoPro, but have not heard back yet. As it's the end of the day, and with the holidays, it might be a few days till she gets back to me.

She wasn't sure what to say either. But I got the feeling those are something the team doesn't like.

Frankly, that's too bad. Unless they ban all cameras, and phones, they are going to have to accept people can now record anything, with amazing zoom and clarity, and there's really nothing they can do about it.

On Sunday, I could have taken a GoPro, no problem. The guys at gate 2 barely look thru my bag, and don't even bother with my camera. That tiny thing wouldn't even get a glance.

No doubt someone form GR is gonna come out and chat with me should I start filming continuously, so don't do that, but I see no real problem with taking a GoPro and using it here and there. Heck, half of the people are pointing their phones at plays all game long anyway, what's the difference?

But yeah, it IS a video camera first thing, so she was concerned someone might be refused entry with one. She promised to get back to me, and she always does.

You'll be the first to know! :thumb:

Last edited by JWinn; 12-30-2014, 04:14 PM. Reason: Well, the second, lol.

Comment

• 86Elwayfan
                        The Future is Upon us!!!
                        • Sep 2011

Thank you sir!! I have to spread CP around...you are just too awesome so i give it to you too much it seems haha.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Brady6
                          Practice Squad
                          • Nov 2014

I don't think a GoPro would be fit for taping a game. The wide angle lense would render it useless unless you're on the sidelines with the players or you just want a nice wide angle shot of the entire stadium.

Comment

• 86Elwayfan
                            The Future is Upon us!!!
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brady6 View Post
                            I don't think a GoPro would be fit for taping a game. The wide angle lense would render it useless unless you're on the sidelines with the players or you just want a nice wide angle shot of the entire stadium.
                            I am not trying to record the game...rather trying to capture the game experience at my seats. I am actually really close to the field so I don't think it would be too bad. But yeah more just trying to capture the feel of the crowd and everything around than taping the actual game.
                            sigpic

Comment

• JWinn
                              Go Broncos!
                              • Aug 2004

Ok, I talked to my rep today about the GoPro.

She never heard back from the stadium management company people on this, so she could not give me a definitive answer.

But she did talk about it with all the other people in her office, and they all agree it should not be a problem. As long as it's in a clear bag, it should go thru no problem.

The GoPro is small, clearly designed for the home user, and should not be considered a professional device, and that's the term they use. They see the GoPro as a regular camera.

Size is really what they are looking for in a camera. If it looks professional, or requires extra stuff (tripod, cases, flashes, etc), it's gonna get refused.

They view the GoPro as a regular camera, so again, as long as it's in your clear bag, it should go right thru.

Dont strap it on your forehead right before you go to the gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X