Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    guess they could be winless
    This team has me scratching my head. They just cannot get out of their own way right now.
    Was last season a fluke and we are in for another losing record?

It starts and ends with Patrick Roy! UGH why did this organization bring this guy back?!?!?!?!

Roy said our emphasis will be on offense and we're having a hard time generating 20 shots a game. Not sure if it's lack of motivation or what but we're slipping back to the style we played with Sacco.

Defense blows and needs to be completely revamped.

I still say the Av's get in the playoffs this year as a 5th or 6th seed in the Western Division. There's a lot of hockey left for these bozo's to play.

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBroncosFan View Post
    I still say the Av's get in the playoffs this year as a 5th or 6th seed in the Western Division. There's a lot of hockey left for these bozo's to play.
    Wow, please share some of what you're smoking......

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    i just think they are working on things and not concerned with W/L result........i hope
    Yeah, they are definitely not concerned with the W/L result......

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    Wow, please share some of what you're smoking......
    A few days ago it was Northern Cali Hydro.
    Denver Broncos and New York Mets. Pass me a drink.

It starts and ends with Patrick Roy! UGH why did this organization bring this guy back?!?!?!?!
    Roy is one of the main reasons we were able to do what we did last year.

A few days ago it was Northern Cali Hydro.
    Send some my way!!!!!

So Roy has switched our D from the crappy man-to-man scheme that we used all last year to a zone defense. Supposedly they used it against Toronto but we still gave up 38 shots. At least we're trying to fix it though, unlike the Broncos coaches.

Colorado Avalanche / NHL
    Avalanche beaming, stay with zone defense after shift from man-to-man
    By Nick Groke
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 11/07/2014 05:13:04 PM MST4 Comments | Updated: about 10 hours ago

Avs center Matt Duchene: "When you switch from a man-to-man defensive coverage and go back to a zone, a more traditional style, there are a lot of gray areas." (John Leyba, Denver Post file)

Wearied and wearing thin with just three victories in its first 14 games, coach Patrick Roy dropped the hammer on the Avalanche on Thursday. He tore down the team's whole approach.

Roy suddenly scuttled their year-old man-to-man defensive scheme. He replaced it with a more traditional zone coverage.

It was a huge shift for the Avs, beyond some wonky hockey X's and O's. It was a core philosophical change.

It worked. The Avs took down Toronto in Colorado on Thursday with a 4-3 shootout victory.

"I am very positive with this performance, but I don't want to overreact," Roy said. "I want to make sure to stay very humble."

While Roy is playing cool, Colorado players are beaming about the change. And the Avs will continue with their new strategy going forward.

"It might take five games, it might take 10 games, it might feel good next game," Avs center Matt Duchene said Friday. "When you switch from a man-to-man defensive coverage and go back to a zone, a more traditional style, there are a lot of gray areas."

Roy, in his first season as Avs coach a year ago, installed a Detroit-style man-to-man defense. The goal was to get defensive pressure on the puck at all times, to snuff out an opponent's offensive charge before its defensemen can get involved.

But as the Avs streaked to a division title last season, their defensive problems with the man-to-man were hidden. They were sacrificing possession as teams controlled the puck. Colorado goaltender Semyon Varlamov was forced to bail the Avs out. His 1,867 saves led the NHL, by far.

The Avs this season couldn't hide. Varlamov ranks third in saves as his team continued to get outshot. So the Avs changed gears.

"I don't want to give out our secrets," Avs captain Gabe Landeskog said after beating the Maple Leafs. "But we certainly made some changes to our system, defensively and offensively.

"It was just more about supporting each other out there and having each other's backs. If we can be a little more aggressive in the D-zone and cut the plays here and there, that's what we did, we didn't spend as much time in the D-zone."

The purpose behind the Avs' defensive-zone scheme is the transition between defense and offense. They want to embrace a lineup of speedy, skilled skaters, instead of wasting them on defensive marking.

In man-to-man, the Avs spent more effort worrying about their defensive assignments and less about getting out of their own end. It led to an ugly goal Sunday when Anaheim's Cam Fowler waltzed toward the net through four Avs defenders, all of whom thought Fowler was somebody else's mark.

But the Avs hope switching to a zone coverage where, essentially, a defender covers an area on the ice instead of a man will free them up offensively.

"We're an offensive hockey team," Duchene said. "We're not going to hide that. We're not going to pretend we're not. But with that, any offensive team has to be good in their own end and play hard defensively.

"Being good defensively doesn't mean playing in your own end for a long time and not letting up any goals," Duchene added. "Being good defensively means switching to offense as quickly as possible. I think that's something we'll accomplish as we continue to get more comfortable with the system."

Nick Groke: ngroke@denverpost.com or twitter.com/nickgroke

COLORADO AT PHILADELPHIA 5 p.m. Saturday, ALT; 950 AM

Spotlight on Jakub Voracek: The Flyers' left-handed right wing is on an impressive seven-game scoring streak. The 25-year-old from the Czech Republic was tied with Sidney Crosby for the NHL lead with 19 points entering Friday. That's nearly twice as many points as the Avs' leaders (Matt Duchene and Nathan MacKinnon, with 10 apiece). In the Flyers' 13 games, Voracek has a point in all but one.

NOTEBOOK

Avalanche: Goaltender Reto Berra, who finished with 33 saves and a win against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday, will stay in goal Saturday against the Flyers, coach Patrick Roy said. "He was great. He's been great for us every time he's started this season," Matt Duchene said of Berra. ... Forward Jesse Winchester and defenseman Ryan Wilson have both threatened to return to the Avalanche lineup in recent practices. But "not yet" will continue for a while longer. Winchester and Wilson will not travel with the Avs on their four-game road trip to the East Coast, starting Saturday at Philadelphia against the Flyers, the Avs said.

Flyers: Philly has split time in net between Steve Mason (2-4-1, 2.88 goals-against average, .911 save percentage) and Ray Emery (4-1-1, 2.74, .915). ... After losing two straight, the Flyers have consecutive 4-1 wins over the Edmonton Oilers and Florida Panthers. Nick Groke, The Denver Post
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ource=infinite

Gave up a lot less shots tonight but Berra sucked and we didn't score till the 3rd.

Defense looked better though.

Sometimes our top lines just disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Gave up a lot less shots tonight but Berra sucked and we didn't score till the 3rd.

Defense looked better though.

Sometimes our top lines just disappear.
    Lost 6-0 to the Islanders.
    NYI had their way with the Avs for the entire game.
    This team lacks an identity.
    Roy's post game comments left me scratching my head. He said they played well and fought hard. REALLY???
    Even the players have no clue. Landeskog was quoted as saying "I don't know what's going on."

I want to blame the players. They look like theyre not giving their best effort every shift. Hockey should be a sport where you skate as hard as you can every shift, and the avs seem to go out there and skate like pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    Lost 6-0 to the Islanders.
    NYI had their way with the Avs for the entire game.
    This team lacks an identity.
    Roy's post game comments left me scratching my head. He said they played well and fought hard. REALLY???
    Even the players have no clue. Landeskog was quoted as saying "I don't know what's going on."
    Maybe Roy was talking about the Islanders

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    I want to blame the players. They look like theyre not giving their best effort every shift. Hockey should be a sport where you skate as hard as you can every shift, and the avs seem to go out there and skate like pedestrians.
    Totally agree. It almost seems a lot of the guys are riding the success of last year and expecting it to come easy.

I also totally hate the fact that on the power play they seem to look for that perfect shot instead of shooting and attacking the net.

Briere w/the unassisted goal in OT. Nice comeback by the boys tonight, down 3-0 after 1 and win 4-3 in OT. Looks like Berra's playing himself out of a roster spot, Pickard came in late in the first and stopped all 25 shots.

Great win tonight.