Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The biggest thing that concerns me is that even though we have pulled to within a 3-5 point range we seem to always have a game or two above the competition.

So in reality Calgary, Vancouver and L.A have the potential to have bigger leads. Well L.A. isn't ahead but they have a game in hand.

Right now we are 4 points behind 8th seed Vancouver but they have played two less games. So the gap is potentially bigger than the points.

We seem to be playing better but still not consistent enough to win more than 5 out of every 10. Not going to make the playoffs averaging 1 point a game.

We really need to real off a 7-8 out of 10 streak soon to really gain any significant ground. And last night they blew a really good chance to do that by getting blanked at home. 1 point against Detroit would've been acceptable and they didn't even show up.

I can't put my finger on it this year. Maybe just the breaks not going our way like last year. But it seems like the loss of Stastny hurts way more than people thought it would.

Oh not to mention that based on games played we really aren't even ahead of Dallas and Minnesota. So we could just as easily be dead last in the division as we are close to a playoff spot.

I think the loss of Stastny was huge. Lost a lot of what little toughness we had when he left. Getting EJ back should help, but that won't be for a while.

Hat trick from Mac tonight. Duchene and Tanguay each got their 16th too. Varlamov had a bad game tonight, luckily TB's was better.

Landeskog had scored a goal in each of the last 5 games, got another assist or two tonight. They're playing a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Hat trick from Mac tonight. Duchene and Tanguay each got their 16th too. Varlamov had a bad game tonight, luckily TB's was better.

Landeskog had scored a goal in each of the last 5 games, got another assist or two tonight. They're playing a little better.
    I've pretty much given up hope on this season. Just not the same spunky bunch as last year. Every time it seems the offense gets going they have a game like the Preds.

Tonight is a battle to get out of the division cellar with Dallas. A win puts them 5 points out but with 2 games more played. They are going to have to do something like win 15 of the last 20 to have a chance. And I don't have faith.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I've pretty much given up hope on this season. Just not the same spunky bunch as last year. Every time it seems the offense gets going they have a game like the Preds.

Tonight is a battle to get out of the division cellar with Dallas. A win puts them 5 points out but with 2 games more played. They are going to have to do something like win 15 of the last 20 to have a chance. And I don't have faith.
    I don't really either. I've pretty much written off any chance of the playoffs.

I'm more than surprised we didn't make any moves before the trade deadline (I think there may be some time left, but Jan Hejda is the only one being talked about that is likely to be traded. Briere may be traded if somebody wants him too.) I think it's time for them to tank. Our defense is still pretty bad. PP and PK have been better over the last couple of weeks. I'm not sold on Duchene being a guy we should keep around any more. Would like to trade him to someone else for some young talent, maybe with TB. Who knows. The Avs are back in Purgatory.

Our offense is pretty bad too. Our leading pt scorer has 41 pts through 61 games. Ugh. ANd it's one of the oldest guys on the team too. I would like to see us trade some young core (Duchene and O'Reilly) for someone else's young core. Ours isn't getting it done.

yeah the question is it even worth a first round exit and id say no....
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    yeah the question is it even worth a first round exit and id say no....
    I don't know. Unlike the NBA, hockey tends to have upsets all the time. It's very common for 8 seeds to upset 1 seeds. Heck last year the Avs were upset first round as a 2 seed.

If the Avs were to get hot enough heading to the playoffs they could do damage. Especially considering Nashvilles historical troubles in winning a playoff series. It's not likely but you never know.

Honestly though yet another top 5 pick would probably help more for the future. It needs to be defense though. McKinnon is awesome and it was the right pick. But it also doesn't matter when we have one of the worst defenses in the league.

i just cant see them getting that hot. you have to be hot for the series and it seems that they get the o going in one game to be blanked or beaten by a couple goals the next
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    i just cant see them getting that hot. you have to be hot for the series and it seems that they get the o going in one game to be blanked or beaten by a couple goals the next
    Not disagreeing. Just saying if they did make it it would mean they got pretty hot. Meaning they could ride it into and through one series.

But my guess is 10-10 and about 10 points out of a playoff spot.

Great game tonight, Avs came back to tie it late. Landeskog scored the tying goal with 7 minutes or so left. Varlamov not doing great but the defense has allowed 33 shots. Going into OT now.

If we win this game we sweep Dallas 5-0 for the season. Need these 2 pts to stay in the PO hunt too and stay ahead of Dallas for last in the division.

Pulled it off. OT wins are rare this year. Not typical of the Avs.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Pulled it off. OT wins are rare this year. Not typical of the Avs.
    They've been a lot better in OT and shootouts in the 2nd half.

The offense was a huge pile of steaming crap tonight until the 3rd. 7 shots and 1 goal in the first 2 periods, 13 shots and 3 goals in the 3rd.

Postgame: Nathan MacKinnon benched in Avs’ 5-4 shootout win at Dallas
    By Mike Chambers
    The Denver Post
    Mike Chambers
    4 Comments
    Print Print
    Topics
    Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Roy

DALLAS — Avalanche teenager Nathan MacKinnon was benched for much of the third period in what turned into a dramatic come-from-behind 5-4 shootout win over the Stars. Game story is here. As I wrote on Twitter postgame — after talking to Avs players and coaches — the frustrations with producing an online story BEFORE I go downstairs is severe. But it’s not just our paper; it’s in every NHL, NFL and NBA market. We are required to file a “running” gamer at the buzzer, so typically we’re too busy looking at the computer screen than the game in front of us. In a game like Friday — five third-period goals, changing momentum — I didn’t see much of the game, focusing on the online game story. Thus, I didn’t see that MacKinnon was bench by coach Patrick Roy, which is why I didn’t ask Roy about MacKinnon’s absence that some thought was caused by injury.

Sob story aside, Roy said he’s going with the same lines on Saturday night in Denver against Minnesota that he finished with Friday, meaning MacKinnon is not in the top six.
    “Yes, (Cody) McLeod played really well with Jarome (Iginla and center Matt Duchene) and (Max) Talbot played really well with (Gabe) Landeskog and (Ryan) O’Reilly,” Roy told me.

MacKinnon did not participate in the three-round shootout. Usually, he shoots first or second. In the previous two games, MacKinnon scored four goals.
    http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...las-road-rally
    MacKinnon was a big reason the offense was a big pile of crap last night. Wonder what's going on there.

Well the Avs followed up their big friday win with a bad home loss last night.

This team just has 0 consistency. Are any fans calling for Roy's head alike Shaw? I doubt it. But their records aren't too different.

Anyways broken record but playoffs are toast.

McKinnon out 6-8 weeks with a fractured foot.

That didn't happen Wednesday did it because he was benched right?

If he had been playing for awhile with it it would certainly explain his poor production.

But if it just happened then I guess it's an excuse to get him off the ice to get his head right.