View Poll Results: Elway or Manning

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elway

39 79.59%
  • Manning

10 20.41%
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    It's a tough choice, but I'd probably go Elway. If he had a good team around him during his career, he would have as many titles as Brady.

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Elway and it's really not even close for me. Peyton was great and all, but Elway will always be the man.
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
    -Ronald Reagan

Throwing power and mobility: Elway.

Accuracy and football IQ: Manning.

I voted Manning because I value accuracy and football IQ over throwing power and mobility. Elway is a HoF quarterback, but I think Manning revolutionized the game becoming an offensive coordinator on the field thanks to his obsessive preparation and attention to detail.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Throwing power and mobility: Elway.

Accuracy and football IQ: Manning.

I voted Manning because I value accuracy and football IQ over throwing power and mobility. Elway is a HoF quarterback, but I think Manning revolutionized the game becoming an offensive coordinator on the field thanks to his obsessive preparation and attention to detail.
    I agree and as much as there will never be another Elway I'd have to choose Manning as well for the same purposes you pointed out.
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

Elway for me. I can't even think of another QB I'd take over him.
    #swapping

Ole #7 for me... Tons of heart and a cannon for an arm.

Not even close, so good he even won Peyton another ring.
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

Has to be Elway...no hesitation from me!! His true grit and determination to win combined with his athletic ability to make the play wins this poll for me, yes Manning was a QB genius, however Elway was in that same league too.

Apples and oranges.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Elway.no if or but about it.

Clutch as can be. Best pure athete of all the top QB's. and he is awesome
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

I've only seen highlights of Elway in his prime, but based on what I've seen, I'd take Elway.

I don't think anyone in the league has ever compared to Manning's recognition of defenses and knack to put the offense into the right play, even if it meant running a draw on 3rd and 10 and living to fight another day.

But I think Elway trumps him from improvisation, ability to make plays from nothing and his ability to bring a team back when it mattered the most.

I'm not sure you could go wrong choosing either, I would choose Elway strictly because he was my favourite player growing up, so I have a bias towards him because of that.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

I can't compare the two as they're much too different so I went ahead and looked at the rulesets employed back then and up until Manning retired.

How would Manning cope with the more leniant rules of the past, would he be able to thrive as much with more contact allowed? I think many of today's more finesse type of quarterbacks would struggle mightily as they often cannot improvise. Elway racked up an impressive amount of yards (and other statistics) given the era and his style of quarterbacking and there's no reason to believe he wouldn't be even more efficient playing with added protection, rules skewed towards passing, better training techniques, added science awareness and the list goes on.

At the end of the day though, I just don't know. I like both and appreciate what they've done for my football team so whatever. Pick your poison?

Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

I would take either over Who we got now.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I don't think anyone in the league has ever compared to Manning's recognition of defenses and knack to put the offense into the right play, even if it meant running a draw on 3rd and 10 and living to fight another day.

But I think Elway trumps him from improvisation, ability to make plays from nothing and his ability to bring a team back when it mattered the most.

I'm not sure you could go wrong choosing either, I would choose Elway strictly because he was my favourite player growing up, so I have a bias towards him because of that.
    Marino is the probably the best evolutionary comparison for Manning like how Big Ben is probably the closest to Elway. Marino was super cerebral and about as mobile as brick. But his pre and post snap abilities were 2nd to none at that time. It's really interesting how the SB proved so elusive for him after his one trip. But even more interesting is this kid bit I didn't remember. I was searching my mental rolodex trying to remember Broncos-Dolphins games, and aside from 1998, I drew a blank. And that was good reason:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6...-13-years.html

MIAMI -- This is downright odd: Dan Marino and John Elway, who have been in the league 16 seasons each and play in the same conference, have not crossed paths in 13 years.

In fact, the only time these classic quarterbacks have faced each other was in 1985."It is kind of weird," said Marino, whose Dolphins play the Denver Broncos on Monday night. "I'm looking forward to the game, I really am."

It's all the more strange considering neither player has missed a potential meeting because of injury.

Each team plays two opponents from each of the other two divisions within their conference, so the chances are slim for teams to miss each other 13 consecutive years. And despite 19 career playoff games by Elway and 14 by Marino, they haven't met in the postseason, either.

"Just the way the whole thing sets up, it's kind of funny that it's happened that way," Elway said.

Their only meeting came in 1985, when Marino threw three touchdown passes in a 30-26 win at Mile High Stadium.
    #swapping

Elway, for sure. Still the prototype for what a QB should be. Mobile, rocket arm, durable. Not to mention clutch. He remains the greatest playmaking QB of all time. No great QB did more with less.