Clear All
  • ELWAY421
    Football Immortal
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    playoff records:

Elway: 14-7, 5 SB

Manning: 11-12, 3 SB
    Winner!!! Can't add more except the best wide receiver Elway ever had was Rod Smith! A far cry from Harrison, Wayne & DT. Elway did way more with way less.

Comment

• MH Stampede
      Lifelong Broncos Fan
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ruksak View Post
      From a purely passing stance, yes. Manning is without a doubt the best pocket passer the game has ever known. If we're talking competitors with intrinsic warrior qualities, Elway was the best to ever lead a team. I may change my mind if I ever see Peyton pull a Manningcopter while trying to win a Super Bowl.

Manning doesn't do that. He won't do that. He will never be "that guy".
      Elway's skillset was very unique.

One of the most powerful throwing arms the league has ever seen. While not really a burner, he was quick on his feet and had surprising foot speed in his younger days for a big guy, linebackers often had a hard time running him down. Very strong in his upper body, it used to amaze me the way he would just shrug off would be tacklers with flick of his shoulder. Could not be arm tackled.

But what really set him apart, was his sheer will to win. If ever there was a QB that could make big plays, just on pure "want to, it was John. His helicopter in the SB, was classic Elway. Even after what, 16 years? He would still stick his nose where it didnt belong, and just do whatever it took to get that first down. By then, he wasnt as fast as he used to be, but he still had that overwhelming willpower to get it done.

And that one unassuming play, that 8 yard scramble, was arguably the most important play of the game. At the end of that run, he got popped pretty good. But as always, he just popped up, and kept coming.

All the stats aside, which were impressive on their own, it was that raw willpower, the insanely intense competitor within that refused to not give it 150% every single play he could, that is what set John Elway apart.
      sigpic

Comment

• Larryh
        Bench Warmer
        • Jan 2014

You know in a way this thread does a disservice to both of these great QB's. It really isn't a thread about who was the best quarterback because they have different styles from different generations. No matter which QB you choose you are really disrespecting the other. I am old enough to have been able to watch Johnny Unitas, YA Tittle and Bobby Layne and consider myself lucky to have been able to watch all of these great QB's.

I was a fan of the Denver's when Frank Tripuka moved from the Saskatchewan to be the Denver QB. I thought the sun rose and set on him. I loved watching John Elway play and rejoiced in all of his great wins and displayed great sorrow when he failed. And now I get to watch Peyton Manning. How blessed can you get. So if you are going to express a preference please try and do it without disrespecting either QB. It is not fair because both of these great players are what the real Denver Broncos are about.

BTW....The Broncos will win the Super Bowl this year. Go Broncos!!!
        Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

• Larryh
          Bench Warmer
          • Jan 2014

Just as a little further point. "You can never lift anyone up by putting some else down." Just my humble opinion of course.
          Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

• CheyennePress
            Captain
            • Nov 2013

You know, the thing about this thread is that it completely defeats the spirit of a guy like Manning. You hear the stories of him visiting the all-time greats, and what do you think he was doing? trying to figure out who was best? Hardly. The passion and skill in all of these guys is what makes the game great.

Yeah, Elway was a warrior who made things happen. He also threw more interceptions as a result. Still, when it was on the line... It's a different style. Manning also improvised better than anyone at the line of scrimmage. He rarely picked up 10 on a scramble, but he rarely needed to. Different style.

Both were exceptional at winning.

Comment

• Chillez
              Football Immortal
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
              Elway's skillset was very unique.

One of the most powerful throwing arms the league has ever seen. While not really a burner, he was quick on his feet and had surprising foot speed in his younger days for a big guy, linebackers often had a hard time running him down. Very strong in his upper body, it used to amaze me the way he would just shrug off would be tacklers with flick of his shoulder. Could not be arm tackled.

But what really set him apart, was his sheer will to win. If ever there was a QB that could make big plays, just on pure "want to, it was John. His helicopter in the SB, was classic Elway. Even after what, 16 years? He would still stick his nose where it didnt belong, and just do whatever it took to get that first down. By then, he wasnt as fast as he used to be, but he still had that overwhelming willpower to get it done.

And that one unassuming play, that 8 yard scramble, was arguably the most important play of the game. At the end of that run, he got popped pretty good. But as always, he just popped up, and kept coming.

All the stats aside, which were impressive on their own, it was that raw willpower, the insanely intense competitor within that refused to not give it 150% every single play he could, that is what set John Elway apart.
              The bold above reminds me few athletes that I know of. Great post BTW well written.
              sigpic

Comment

• BigEyedPhish
                Practice Squad
                • Mar 2012

Manning is the best pure Quarterback this game has ever seen, as is quite possibly the "Smartest Football" player who has ever played...

I say this and Elway is what made me a Broncos fan when I was 6 years old... But to compare him to the person who will shatter almost (if not every) main quarterback category, while not playing for a full season (He could have 30+ more touchdowns than he does now. Is insane..

Manning is the better quarterback...

But if the question is asked, if I could start Elway over Manning the last Superbowl the answer is welll.... you know..

This is like asking who would be a better wartime president? without describing the war.. (Was it a civil war? was it a World War? was it Revolutionary? between Washington, Lincoln, and FDR.

Comment

• Siconik
                  Practice Squad
                  • Dec 2003

Well considering that the only reason Manning is a Bronco in the first place IS Elway...

Comment

• gerontion
                    Playmaker
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
                    Manning is the best pure Quarterback this game has ever seen, as is quite possibly the "Smartest Football" player who has ever played...

I say this and Elway is what made me a Broncos fan when I was 6 years old... But to compare him to the person who will shatter almost (if not every) main quarterback category, while not playing for a full season (He could have 30+ more touchdowns than he does now. Is insane..

Manning is the better quarterback...

But if the question is asked, if I could start Elway over Manning the last Superbowl the answer is welll.... you know..

This is like asking who would be a better wartime president? without describing the war.. (Was it a civil war? was it a World War? was it Revolutionary? between Washington, Lincoln, and FDR.
                    With all due respect, it's not insane to argue Elway was better than Manning. They were very different qbs who played in very different eras. One was a gun slinging, playmaking physical marvel who could thrive despite having minimal talent around him. He also had, as another poster said, that "raw willpower" to win. The other is a cerebral, studious mastermind. A genius of football. Not physically gifted, but incredibly accurate with his passes.

I personally think that if they switched eras Elway would utterly dominate in this pass happy, offensive friendly time with multiple weapons at his disposal. On the other hand, I think Manning would struggle some in the 80s, especially if Dan Reeves were his coach and he had little talent around him.

Comment

• martz11
                      Starter
                      • Jun 2006

playoff records:

Elway: 14-7, 5 SB

Manning: 11-12, 3 SB
                      What does a teams playoff record have to do with this discussion? I can't stand when people bring up team stats. Don't look at the comparison from a stat prospective and you'll have a better understanding of talent that both have.

Russell Wilson's playoff record is 4-1 and he's completed 20 balls in just one of those games. Team stats don't always reflect the player.
                      Last edited by martz11; 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• RobertR
                        Starter
                        • Sep 2014

I’ll always have a soft spot for John Elway . He’s the greatest figure in Colorado sports history. I loved watching him from the day he arrived, and marveled at his athletic ability and will to win. I’ve always wondered how much better he would have been if he had been coached by the likes of a Bill Walsh instead of Dan Reeves, who I suspect never really knew how to exploit John’s talents.

I also greatly admire Peyton. His mastery of the quarterback position and understanding of the game is the greatest ever, even if he isn’t the greatest athlete. I believe his will to will is just as great, if not his physical toughness. John is to be commended for doing what it took to bring Peyton to the team.

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                          All-Time Great
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by martz11 View Post
                          What does a teams playoff record have to do with this discussion? I can't stand when people bring up team stats. Don't look at the comparison from a stat prospective and you'll have a better understanding of talent that both have.

Russell Wilson's playoff record is 4-1 and he's completed 20 balls in just one of those games. Team stats don't always reflect the player.
                          one of them wins in the playoffs and one doesn't. One of them won with castoffs and low level draft picks and one of them lost with a bunch of 1st round picks.

both are very talented QBs. one of them won more when it counted with lesser talent. take that as you will......

Terry Bradshaw had low stats for a QB but he was one of the best to ever play. individual stats don't say it all either.
                          Last edited by broncos SB2010; 10-21-2014, 11:04 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• RobertR
                            Starter
                            • Sep 2014

Terry Bradshaw had low stats for a QB but he was one of the best to ever play. individual stats don't say it all either.
                            Terry Bradshaw benefited from being on a team that had EIGHT Hall of Famers. That makes a huge difference. Here are the playoff stats for Manning (23 games) and Elway (22 games):

Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A

572 889 64.34% 6589 37 24 89.2 7.41

355 651 54.53% 4964 27 21 79.7 7.63

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                              All-Time Great
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by RobertR View Post
                              Terry Bradshaw benefited from being on a team that had EIGHT Hall of Famers. That makes a huge difference. Here are the playoff stats for Manning (23 games) and Elway (22 games):

Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A

572 889 64.34% 6589 37 24 89.2 7.41

355 651 54.53% 4964 27 21 79.7 7.63
                              Bradshaw also called his own plays and won 4 SB.

Elway won 66%, manning won 47%
                              sigpic

Comment

• RobertR
                                Starter
                                • Sep 2014

Bradshaw also called his own plays and won 4 SB
                                Yes, surrounded by a Hall of Fame running back and receivers, and a historically great defense.

Elway won 66%, manning won 47%
                                Their teams won 66% and 47%.
                                Last edited by RobertR; 10-21-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X