59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elway

45 76.27%
  • Manning

14 23.73%
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    apples and oranges

Elway: mobile, strong arm, ran what was sent in from the OC.

Manning: immobile, precision/timing passer, calls many (most?) of his own plays.

Elway had to learn to put touch on his short passes. I will always remember that he could throw a fifteen yard out from the other sideline on a frozen rope.
    In my 40+ years of watching pro ball, I can honestly say I have not seen a QB in the NFL with the sheer power throwing the ball that John did. He had a cannon to begin with, but his body mechanics as far as his throwing motion, were like a whip. The guy could drill 60 yard passes with the ball just above the defenders heads, it was amazing.

It would also get him into trouble. He would often just power that ball into places he should not have, he would usually get away with it, but it also led to a higher interception rate than many QB's.

All that aside, I think what set John apart, is his sheer will to win. There were times when you just knew Elway was going to pull some kind of miracle out of nowhere. Because thats what he did. No one had more competitive drive and spirit, than Elway.

And he brings that same intensity to his current job in the front office. Mark it down, his glory days are not yet done.
    Last edited by MH Stampede; 10-17-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh View Post
    I don't believe for a second that this will even be close in fan sentiment. I loved Elway and one of the saddest days of my life was when he retired. However, I think a lot of the negative comments about Manning are because of the high regard that fans have for Elway. You can almost hear their minds working, "Yes I know he is good but he is no Elway."

I don't care how many super bowls Peyton might win in Denver he will always be regarded as second rate compared to Elway. I love them both and consider myself one of the luckiest people in the world to have seen Elway and Manning play for the Broncos. I am not going to make a pick....they are both Broncos and both have been outstanding.
    Two very different players. Two different games.

Would Manning have fared as well in the 80's as Elway did? Not behind the line we had then he wouldn't have, thats for certain.

Would Elway fare as well on this team, now, as well as Peyton has? Again, probably not, but who's to say for sure. Today's game is timing, and execution. Peyton lines up, reads the defense, and attacks it at its weak point. John, would line up, and DARE the defense to stop him. Very different players...and a very different NFL.
    Last edited by MH Stampede; 10-17-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post

Would Manning have fared as well in the 80's as Elway did? Not behind the line we had then he wouldn't have, thats for certain.

Would Elway fare as well on this team, now, as well as Peyton has? Again, probably not, but who's to say for sure. Today's game is timing, and execution. Peyton lines up, reads the defense, and attacks it at its weak point. John, would line up, and DARE the defense to stop him. Very different players...and a very different NFL.
    Nice analyst and breakdown on the two QB's they play completely different way and succeed at their strengths. Elway a guy though that played every game like it was his last game, he gave it his all each and every night insanely competitive, driven athlete.

To say one wouldn't fare well in either' era of the NFL, would totally kill any notion of them being legendary. Legendary players transcend any era because of their greatness. When u look at the legendary, all-time greats from any sport, u should be able to believe u could plug them in past, present, or future and they would be who they are, no matter what the circumstances.

Would u say Jordan, Johnson, or Bird wouldn't be the legends due to the differences in the era that Kobe and LeBron dominate? Would Gretzsky or Messier not be who they were in any era of hockey? So why would Elway and Manning be any different? These guys are all-time legends! I don't agree with trivializing their greatness by suggesting that rules would affect it.

And with that said, I'd take Elway in any era, in any decade, 7 days of the week and thrice on Sunday over PM.

Manning is the better Quarterback, easily.

I think for me anyway Manning wins Super Bowl here just one he surpasses both Brady and Elway for me he has all records, stats, accolades, to back it up just needs another championship. I say this as diehard Elway fan and big Brady fan.

I will always take Elway he is the reason I have been a Broncos fan since 1986 but Peyton is definitely second in my books go Broncos

In my 40+ years of watching pro ball, I can honestly say I have not seen a QB in the NFL with the sheer power throwing the ball that John did. He had a cannon to begin with, but his body mechanics as far as his throwing motion, were like a whip. The guy could drill 60 yard passes with the ball just above the defenders heads, it was amazing.

It would also get him into trouble. He would often just power that ball into places he should not have, he would usually get away with it, but it also led to a higher interception rate than many QB's.

All that aside, I think what set John apart, is his sheer will to win. There were times when you just knew Elway was going to pull some kind of miracle out of nowhere. Because thats what he did. No one had more competitive drive and spirit, than Elway.

And he brings that same intensity to his current job in the front office. Mark it down, his glory days are not yet done.
    This may sound silly as an analogy, but if I were to compare them to animals, I'd call Peyton a Bald Eagle and Elway a lion. Peyton soars high and has killer instinct, but when he gets hit, he gets shaken. Elway, the harder you hit that man, the more punishment he gives out. He hits back, hard.

One has cerebral superiority, the other, a physical phenom.
    Rogue Colts Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ruksak View Post
    This may sound silly as an analogy, but if I were to compare them to animals, I'd call Peyton a Bald Eagle and Elway a lion. Peyton soars high and has killer instinct, but when he gets hit, he gets shaken. Elway, the harder you hit that man, the more punishment he gives out. He hits back, hard.

Good analogy. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ruksak View Post

A big part of the bald eagle diet is carrion. They are opportunistic scavengers for the most part. I'm going to have to go with the lion.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Manning for sure. Shouldn't even be a discussion, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Manning for sure. Shouldn't even be a discussion, honestly.
    From a purely passing stance, yes. Manning is without a doubt the best pocket passer the game has ever known. If we're talking competitors with intrinsic warrior qualities, Elway was the best to ever lead a team. I may change my mind if I ever see Peyton pull a Manningcopter while trying to win a Super Bowl.

Manning doesn't do that. He won't do that. He will never be "that guy".
    Rogue Colts Fan

If Elway had some one like Elway drafting for him and running the organization,,,,,, then here would be NO question.

playoff records:

Elway: 14-7, 5 SB

Manning: 11-12, 3 SB

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Elway is the face of this team and always will be. He brought us two trophies after a long amazing career. John will always be our #1.

Manning comes to town to get a second chance and here he is breaking records and getting us back to the big game last year. Even though the result was hard to swallow, he will get us back there again this year with a victory at hand. (Homer and optimism talking)

But who is the best?

Wow.... Tough question for Bronco fans.

Yes... Peyton is breaking records like crazy but John was our man for so long.

Stat wise perhaps Peyton.
    Heart felt love and respect wise it's John.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***