View Poll Results: Elway or Manning

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elway

    45 76.27%
  • Manning

    14 23.73%
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 680
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,958
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    Yes, surrounded by a Hall of Fame running back and receivers, and a historically great defense.

    Their teams won 66% and 47%.
    and manning had Wayne, Harrison, and Clark...all 1st round picks.

    Elway had Sharpe, Rod Smith and Eddie mac...an UDFA, a NYG castoff, and a 6th round TE


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    and manning had Wayne, Harrison, and Clark...all 1st round picks.

    Elway had Sharpe, Rod Smith and Eddie mac...an UDFA, a NYG castoff, and a 6th round TE
    Draft position isn't the determining factor of how great a player is. Plenty of first rounders have been busts. Remember Ryan Leaf, the second overall pick behind Manning? Unitas was a 9th rounder, and Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,958
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    Draft position isn't the determining factor of how great a player is. Plenty of first rounders have been busts. Remember Ryan Leaf, the second overall pick behind Manning? Unitas was a 9th rounder, and Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder.
    I agree....


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    one of them wins in the playoffs and one doesn't. One of them won with castoffs and low level draft picks and one of them lost with a bunch of 1st round picks.

    both are very talented QBs. one of them won more when it counted with lesser talent. take that as you will......

    Terry Bradshaw had low stats for a QB but he was one of the best to ever play. individual stats don't say it all either.
    So in actual fact this thread is just as I suspected it was. Just another way of bashing Peyton Manning. I don't know why you guys just don't get honest and say that you will never be happy with Peyton and you would rather see the Broncos lose than win a SB with Peyton because if he does win a super bowl then you won't have any more ways of trashing him.
    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,422
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    Draft position isn't the determining factor of how great a player is. Plenty of first rounders have been busts. Remember Ryan Leaf, the second overall pick behind Manning? Unitas was a 9th rounder, and Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder.
    Bart Starr was a 17th rounder.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    16,453
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    one of them wins in the playoffs and one doesn't. One of them won with castoffs and low level draft picks and one of them lost with a bunch of 1st round picks.

    both are very talented QBs. one of them won more when it counted with lesser talent. take that as you will......

    Terry Bradshaw had low stats for a QB but he was one of the best to ever play. individual stats don't say it all either.
    One wins in the playoffs and one doesn't? Really? Well, then how do you account for him having 11 playoff wins?

    I love Elway just as much as the next Broncos fan, but you can't make such an absolute statement like this. Come on!

    I feel like this kind of statement is as ridiculous as an argument I had up here in Boston the other day. I was in Best Buy with my Broncos jacket and this guy comes up to me and say, "I can't stand Manning, he's such a baby cause every time he loses he takes off practice the next day."

    I just about lost my cool and told him he was absolutely wrong. I said you can hate Manning all you want but you can't spout that garbage. I went through all our games and listed the exact times he missed practice due to his ankle sprain. He stood there speechless because he didn't think I would know what I'm talking about.

    His retort - well, that's what I heard. My retort - I don't care what you heard, because again, you can hate Manning all you want but you need to know what you're talking about before you go and talk this trash. And I left.

    My point- if you're going to make an argument, at least be correct and don't make generalized statements like "one guy wins in the playoffs and one doesn't."

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    7,764
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    One wins in the playoffs and one doesn't? Really? Well, then how do you account for him having 11 playoff wins?

    I love Elway just as much as the next Broncos fan, but you can't make such an absolute statement like this. Come on!

    I feel like this kind of statement is as ridiculous as an argument I had up here in Boston the other day. I was in Best Buy with my Broncos jacket and this guy comes up to me and say, "I can't stand Manning, he's such a baby cause every time he loses he takes off practice the next day."

    I just about lost my cool and told him he was absolutely wrong. I said you can hate Manning all you want but you can't spout that garbage. I went through all our games and listed the exact times he missed practice due to his ankle sprain. He stood there speechless because he didn't think I would know what I'm talking about.

    His retort - well, that's what I heard. My retort - I don't care what you heard, because again, you can hate Manning all you want but you need to know what you're talking about before you go and talk this trash. And I left.

    My point- if you're going to make an argument, at least be correct and don't make generalized statements like "one guy wins in the playoffs and one doesn't."


    Okay, how about this? John Elway brought the Broncos two super bowls & Peyton hasn't brought Denver any super bowls. Don't get mad, I'm joking with you. Lol.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,958
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    One wins in the playoffs and one doesn't? Really? Well, then how do you account for him having 11 playoff wins?

    I love Elway just as much as the next Broncos fan, but you can't make such an absolute statement like this. Come on!

    I feel like this kind of statement is as ridiculous as an argument I had up here in Boston the other day. I was in Best Buy with my Broncos jacket and this guy comes up to me and say, "I can't stand Manning, he's such a baby cause every time he loses he takes off practice the next day."

    I just about lost my cool and told him he was absolutely wrong. I said you can hate Manning all you want but you can't spout that garbage. I went through all our games and listed the exact times he missed practice due to his ankle sprain. He stood there speechless because he didn't think I would know what I'm talking about.

    His retort - well, that's what I heard. My retort - I don't care what you heard, because again, you can hate Manning all you want but you need to know what you're talking about before you go and talk this trash. And I left.

    My point- if you're going to make an argument, at least be correct and don't make generalized statements like "one guy wins in the playoffs and one doesn't."
    fine...he has one of the lowest post season winning % of any QB with at least 10 playoff games. 29 QBs have played 10+ playoff games. Manning is ranked 26th for winning %. Elway is 11th.

    Is that better? I tend to prefer guys who win when it counts. Some it's a team sport and you can't take that into consideration....I do.


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryh View Post
    So in actual fact this thread is just as I suspected it was. Just another way of bashing Peyton Manning. I don't know why you guys just don't get honest and say that you will never be happy with Peyton and you would rather see the Broncos lose than win a SB with Peyton because if he does win a super bowl then you won't have any more ways of trashing him.
    how is me saying both are very talented QBs bashing Manning? Manning has a history of losing early in the playoffs. that's fact, not bashing.

    13 years of playoffs (very good by the way) but also 8 times losing in the first round. Elway is one of 2 QBs to go to 5 SB. Here are some more stats

    Peyton Manning

    Playoff record: 11-12
    Home playoff record: 8-5
    Road playoff record: 2-5
    Non-wild card playoff record: 8-8
    30-30-30 seasons: 0
    Playoff points per game average: 22.52
    Super Bowl starts: 3
    Super Bowl rings: 1

    John Elway

    Playoff record: 14-7
    Home playoff record: 9-2
    Road playoff record: 3-2
    Non-wild card playoff record: 13-6
    30-30-30 seasons: 0
    Playoff points per game average: 25.0
    Super Bowl starts: 5
    Super Bowl rings: 2


    as I said, both are very talented QBs. I prefer Elway and I posted some reasons why. That isn't bashing.


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    fine...he has one of the lowest post season winning % of any QB with at least 10 playoff games. 29 QBs have played 10+ playoff games. Manning is ranked 26th for winning %. Elway is 11th.

    Is that better? I tend to prefer guys who win when it counts. Some it's a team sport and you can't take that into consideration....I do.
    It is a team sport. Bradshaw's Steelers were 4-0 in super bowls, and had a better playoff record than Elway's Broncos . By your logic, that makes Terry better than John.
    Last edited by RobertR; 10-21-2014 at 05:41 PM.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    545

    Elway

    #7, but I love Peyton. Their games are a bit different, both great.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,958
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    It is a team sport. Bradshaw's Steelers were 4-0 in super bowls, and had a better playoff record than Elway's Broncos . By your logic, that makes Terry better than John.
    Bradshaw is on my list of top 10 QBs. It would be a hard choice to pick between them. Bradshaw called is own plays...for real. Unlike popular belief, manning does not call his own plays. At least he didn't in Indy, and I believe he runs something similar here. Here is some info on Bradshaw in the postseason (and take into account it wasn't until 1978 that the Mel blount rule came into affect. It just so happened that Bradshaw led the league in TDs that year too.):

    Career postseason record: 14-5

    Career postseason statistics: 261-456, 3833 yards, 30 TD, 26 INT; 83.0 passer rating



    Terry Bradshaw is just one of two quarterbacks to win four Super Bowls. In each of the Steelers' Super Bowl victories, he posted a passer rating above 100. He led a fourth quarter comeback in the second and fourth games, and threw a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of each game.

    As a matter of fact, Bradshaw's fourth quarter passing statistics in the Super Bowl look like this:

    11-16, 292 yards, 4 TD

    That is not a typo. Bradshaw averaged 18 yards per pass attempt. He threw five incompletions against four touchdown passes. His final pass in his first three Super Bowls was a touchdown pass, and in his fourth Super Bowl, it was a 45-yard completion that set up a final touchdown.



    His passer rating is a jaw-dropping 151.0, and he was awarded the MVP trophy in his final two Super Bowls.



    Bradshaw doesn't just shine in the Super Bowl either.



    There was the "Immaculate Reception," a fourth-down, game-winning, 60-yard touchdown pass to Franco Harris on the final play of the game. Then there were the 1976 AFC divisional playoffs, where Bradshaw posted a perfect passer rating against the Baltimore Colts.



    Bradshaw threw for two or more touchdown passes in his final seven postseason games, all of which the Steelers scored 27+ points. He averaged an incredible 8.4 yards per pass attempt throughout his playoff career.


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Bradshaw is on my list of top 10 QBs.
    That doesn't address my point: Namely, that you're saying in effect that Bradshaw is better than Elway (and Manning).

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,958
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    That doesn't address my point: Namely, that you're saying in effect that Bradshaw is better than Elway (and Manning).
    It's hard enough to compare Elway and Manning, let alone Bradshaw and them. It was a completely different era of football in the 70's. It was a RB driven league then. For example, in 1975 ( a year chosen at random) the Raiders led the league in rushing attempts/game with 45.1, Last year the Bills were in 1st place with 34.1, which would have ranked them 17th in 1975. For passing...the Browns were 1st last year with 42.6 attempts/game and in 1975 the Eagles led the league with 32.7 which would have been 24th last year.

    That doesn't even take into consideration the rule changes that have greatly helped offenses, and in particular, passing offenses. You say Bradshaw was helped by having a historically good defense. well....he played against some of the greatest defenses too...Miami's no name defense, Vikings purple people eaters, Rams fearsome 4some, Cowboys doomsday defense, 70's raiders. He not only played them...but played them in the SB and won. Beat Dallas twice and Vikings once and Rams in 1979.


    So it would be hard to say which was a better QB overall but I think I would say Bradshaw played better in his day than manning, and Elway, did in theirs.

    You seem to dislike why I picked Elway over Manning. What criteria do you suggest I use?
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 10-21-2014 at 07:31 PM.


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Bradshaw is on my list of top 10 QBs. It would be a hard choice to pick between them. Bradshaw called is own plays...for real. Unlike popular belief, manning does not call his own plays. At least he didn't in Indy, and I believe he runs something similar here. Here is some info on Bradshaw in the postseason (and take into account it wasn't until 1978 that the Mel blount rule came into affect. It just so happened that Bradshaw led the league in TDs that year too.):

    Career postseason record: 14-5

    Career postseason statistics: 261-456, 3833 yards, 30 TD, 26 INT; 83.0 passer rating



    Terry Bradshaw is just one of two quarterbacks to win four Super Bowls. In each of the Steelers' Super Bowl victories, he posted a passer rating above 100. He led a fourth quarter comeback in the second and fourth games, and threw a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter of each game.

    As a matter of fact, Bradshaw's fourth quarter passing statistics in the Super Bowl look like this:

    11-16, 292 yards, 4 TD

    That is not a typo. Bradshaw averaged 18 yards per pass attempt. He threw five incompletions against four touchdown passes. His final pass in his first three Super Bowls was a touchdown pass, and in his fourth Super Bowl, it was a 45-yard completion that set up a final touchdown.



    His passer rating is a jaw-dropping 151.0, and he was awarded the MVP trophy in his final two Super Bowls.



    Bradshaw doesn't just shine in the Super Bowl either.



    There was the "Immaculate Reception," a fourth-down, game-winning, 60-yard touchdown pass to Franco Harris on the final play of the game. Then there were the 1976 AFC divisional playoffs, where Bradshaw posted a perfect passer rating against the Baltimore Colts.



    Bradshaw threw for two or more touchdown passes in his final seven postseason games, all of which the Steelers scored 27+ points. He averaged an incredible 8.4 yards per pass attempt throughout his playoff career.
    sorry but while bradshaw appears to be a stud.

    neither Manning or Elway had near the defense that he did during those SB years.

    Elway had suspect at best WR's and until the late 90s zip for RB's and Ol talent.

    something that terry had plenty of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •