• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DevilSpawn
    versus you
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
    The Raiders should go after Rex Ryan as HC and Marc Trestman as OC. Energize that roster, bring a proven defensive scheme and get the QB whisperer to develop Carr.
    I wouldn't oppose it. Trestman was the OC when we went to the Superbowl and I think he could elevate Carr. I'm not sold on Rex though. I've seen him more than Dennis Allen and Co since I live in NY and he was always overrated to me. BUT with the right people around him I wouldn't be too mad because I like the dude.

Comment

• dizzolve
      Orange Rush
      • Mar 2009

Aside from that one special teams hit on Bruton last nite, I have to hand it to Oakland this season. I've found them to be respectful, honorable (for a lack of better words) and competitive at times (not against us). Even after the hit some players circled Bruton out of respect.

To be honest I'm kind of confused - they're not the same Raiders I remember. The culture seems to have been changed. I guess it's time for phase 2 now. Rex Ryan seems like a perfect fit there. I would love to see him in this division - granted he wont make it any easier for the Broncos but it'll be more fun.

Rex would bring the Raiders back to the running game - or vice verse. It would take pressure off Carr and open it all up for him too. Should be interesting to see how everything shakes out now that reg season is over
      Last edited by dizzolve; 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• dizzolve
        Orange Rush
        • Mar 2009

I understand Oakland firing Allen, I think. However I think teams -in general- don't give enough time to HCs before they decide to make changes. I wonder if firing Allen is what had Oak start becoming competitive later in the season, or if Allen just missed the turning point. Is McKenzie's job safe?

Take Chicago for instance. They go and fire their HC but is he really the problem? Maybe he's just collateral damage. ...

Chicago firing their GM and HC feels like a questionable move to me. Course I dunno what's really going on over there but starting from scratch again .... wow. Then again, with Detroit really playing well and of course Green Bay being a perennial playoff class team, maybe it is a good time to go ahead and start over. By ridding themselves of the GM and HC I wonder if that means that Cutler is going to be 'the man around here' [sorry PatBowlen] OR if it means that the new hires will have the option to move him if they can find compensation.

I hate that the season is over but all these firings and speculation remind how fun offseason can be for NFL fans at times.
        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• Rastic
          Modulated
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
          I understand Oakland firing Allen, I think. However I think teams -in general- don't give enough time to HCs before they decide to make changes. I wonder if firing Allen is what had Oak start becoming competitive later in the season, or if Allen just missed the turning point. Is McKenzie's job safe?

Take Chicago for instance. They go and fire their HC but is he really the problem? Maybe he's just collateral damage. ...

Chicago firing their GM and HC feels like a questionable move to me. Course I dunno what's really going on over there but starting from scratch again .... wow. Then again, with Detroit really playing well and of course Green Bay being a perennial playoff class team, maybe it is a good time to go ahead and start over. By ridding themselves of the GM and HC I wonder if that means that Cutler is going to be 'the man around here' [sorry PatBowlen] OR if it means that the new hires will have the option to move him if they can find compensation.

I hate that the season is over but all these firings and speculation remind how fun offseason can be for NFL fans at times.
          I don't know exactly. I think they said during the game what changed, according to players on the Raiders, was a more simple scheme..

I think Allen might have had too much of an uphill battle what with lack of talent and an over complicated system with the players he had.

Sparano didn't look like he'd be able to right the ship but then late in the season they had some impressive wins or at least played close games against tough opponents.

I really wonder if Davis is feeling a touch greedy with dive if the available HCs coming to the market and not giving Sparano another shot at next season. He's done a fair job in his time there but, again, with some of the coaches available they may sack him for a shot at a better chance.

I'd be surprised if they took Ryan though. The Jets have looked an awful lot like the Raiders this season, no offense, fair defense (at times). It's hard to imagine anything different with Ryan at Oakland.
          Last edited by Rastic; 12-30-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• DevilSpawn
            versus you
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post

I've had fun for the better part of 13 years (that includes the Callahan hire in 2002).

Allen was part of the problem. It was a bad combination of a rookie coach with a bad roster. Then the rookie QB this year with the worst rushing attack in our history, originally on pace to the all-time low set by the Lions in 1946. On top of the roster didn't improve his second year. We did have a great draft but no playmakers on defense or offense. And the offensive coordinator made a ton of questionable calls. Carr was pretty good with the worst run game in the league and a bunch of #3 (at best) wide receivers.

Sparano is no different. While he beat winning (at the time) teams, he also lost each following games by a combined score of 130-27. Dennis Allen was fired because his teams were blown out constantly and showed little fight.

Basically Dennis Allen was in a sword fight armed with a pocket knife. Good news is we have a ton I mean a TON of money to spend. If Reggie (assuming he's here) can hit the same draft like last year but with a play maker or two, then we should see something. I would get a #1 receiver, pass rusher and middle linebacker. Our middle linebacker was the worst ranked in the NFL.

Comment

• Raiderfan76
              Wrote the book on pain
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
              We've heard this before coming out of Oakland in the last decade. Will it work this time?
              Unfortunately.

Comment

• BroncoSexyDaddy
                Football Immortal
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                The Raiders should go after Rex Ryan as HC and Marc Trestman as OC. Energize that roster, bring a proven defensive scheme and get the QB whisperer to develop Carr.
                Tom Cable could be another option. I heard Lynch would go with Cable if hes a head coach again.

The Raiders need to learn how to tackle he would be good for that.

Comment

Working...
                X