Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,372

    Official Colorado Rockies Preseason Thread

    First pitch is any minute now. I'm excited to have Rockies scores showing up on my sports apps again. And ESPN front page.

    I'm not too sure that there is much to be excited about. But ESPN has us projected as one of the bottom teams that could surprise this year. Projected at 82 wins which would be a winning season. But again I have my doubts.

    Too lazy to look up names but I know we have some exciting new pitching prospects and one specifically who made ESPNs list of top 100 propsects for 2015. I'm sure the coaching staff will ruin them though as usual.


    Anyways I figured we could post here for awhile and then probably just re-use the Gameday thread when the season starts.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,482
    I think we'll have between 75-79 wins. Not really looking forward to the summer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    3,377
    Well it will be exciting for the first month atleast until Tulo and Cargo hit the DL.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,372
    Quote Originally Posted by 58_VONDOOM_92 View Post
    Well it will be exciting for the first month atleast until Tulo and Cargo hit the DL.
    Tulo claims he has been working hard on his conditioning methods. We'll see though. I've heard defense that his injuries are not injury prone but more because he plays hard. If you consider some of his injuries they aren't fluke injuries like hamstrings. But he isn't going to change the way he plays.

    I agree Housh and actually think 75 may be optimistic. I defended Walt last year but 10 games is still a good size jump from last year. Obviously what you want to see if he is going to stick around though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,874
    I'm looking forward to this year, but then again I always do in March/April only to be promptly disappointed.

    The two young prospects that are exciting to watch for are Eddie Butler and Jonathan Gray.

    Butler saw time last year very briefly before injuring himself. Dude has a mid 90s sinking fastball and off-speed pitches that look to be amazing, but he has a bit of control issues.

    Grey is the #2 pick from a couple years ago and is the highest ranked prospect on the Rox. Guy can hit 100, nasty slider, and his changeup is coming along as a big stirkeout pitch as well. His velocity dipped for a bit last year along with his control and so he dropped a bit in some people's rankings. This year from camp the reporters were saying his stuff is back.

    Neither look to be on the major league roster come opening day, so that gives the organization plenty of time to ruin them or trade them for cash considerations.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    5,482
    75 may be a bit optimistic but I think our pitching can do a lot better without Rosario catching. You have to have a good catcher to get the most out of your pitching and I think Hundley should help us out a lot in that area. He's not a standout hitter but we don't really need that with the rest of our roster. We'll miss Cuddy's leadership a bit but our outfield should produce this year. CarGo, Blackmon, Dickerson. That looks pretty good to me, and Stubbs and Barnes for when CarGo gets hurt. Lemahieu will be our offensive weakness in the infield but he'll be ok. All of our infielders have the potential to win a gold glove.

    If Weiss starts Rosario at C more than Hunley, I'm not even going to watch. Sounds like they'll be using Rosario more at 1b though this year.

    Not gonna expect anything while the Monfarts are still here, though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,372
    Grey is the one that was on the ESPN top 100 rookies list that they said would be called up by midseason.

    And yeah I had heard some of the minor prospects would start off their but likely be called up. Since we had the largest starting rotation turnover in the majors last year.


    I think as usual we have the talent. But somewhere a long the way the coaching staff won't be able to coach it out of them. I've heard a lot of emphasis on trying to hit better on the road.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,803
    If they can develop a strong bullpen, 80 wins is possible. But last years was an absolute train wreck, so they would have to do A LOT to improve it to the point that it's reliable. I want to see if Dickerson can be a stud and if the catching can be a strength instead of a weakness. Other than that, hopefully Tulo and Cargo can play 130 games this season.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If they can develop a strong bullpen, 80 wins is possible. But last years was an absolute train wreck, so they would have to do A LOT to improve it to the point that it's reliable. I want to see if Dickerson can be a stud and if the catching can be a strength instead of a weakness. Other than that, hopefully Tulo and Cargo can play 130 games this season.
    I completely agree with this being a hope but at the same time it's really sad.

    Guys like Cal Ripkin jr and other legendary greats have to be disgusted that 130 is considered doing great for an all star caliber player.

    Now if you want to discuss that 162 games is too many that's a totally different topic. But as it stands I hate that taking a months worth of games off is considered ok. Not arguing against you on this. Just saying in general I think people today consider that good and I don't like it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,803
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I completely agree with this being a hope but at the same time it's really sad.

    Guys like Cal Ripkin jr and other legendary greats have to be disgusted that 130 is considered doing great for an all star caliber player.

    Now if you want to discuss that 162 games is too many that's a totally different topic. But as it stands I hate that taking a months worth of games off is considered ok. Not arguing against you on this. Just saying in general I think people today consider that good and I don't like it.
    Oh I totally agree. With the cash they are making they should play 150-155. But I know eventually the injury bug will kick in, and so the Rockies will sit them a whole bunch to try to minimize that risk, which is a shame. My guess is about 100-110 games for each of them. Unless they both get dumped at the deadline in July.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not an Alabama fan
    Posts
    12,372
    Rockies part way with Chacin.

    He just never could stay healthy. I'm sure the pitching coaches just handled him poorly.

    Watch him tear it up somewhere else now.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    8,352
    I hate to be that guy, but this team will lose 90+ games again this year.

    Aside from De La Rosa, the starting rotation is not going to be very good unless Butler and Gray light it up. And the pen has potential but I don't expect much from them either.

    Poorly constructed team, poorly coached and managed team = no chance.

    The rest of the division got better while the Rockies sat on their hands like always.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,803
    Quote Originally Posted by The Experience View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but this team will lose 90+ games again this year.

    Aside from De La Rosa, the starting rotation is not going to be very good unless Butler and Gray light it up. And the pen has potential but I don't expect much from them either.

    Poorly constructed team, poorly coached and managed team = no chance.

    The rest of the division got better while the Rockies sat on their hands like always.
    Yeah, this whole philosophy of "if Tulo and Cargo are healthy and everyone has a career year, we will be pretty good" is how a losing team operates. This team has to be more aggressive in the offseason. Kyle Kendrick can't be your big off season move and have fans be upbeat. The fact that Monfort's big signing was the Macaroni Grill does not bode well for the season.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    8,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Yeah, this whole philosophy of "if Tulo and Cargo are healthy and everyone has a career year, we will be pretty good" is how a losing team operates. This team has to be more aggressive in the offseason. Kyle Kendrick can't be your big off season move and have fans be upbeat. The fact that Monfort's big signing was the Macaroni Grill does not bode well for the season.
    Thats what you get when you have a complete buffoon as an owner. Worst owner in sports.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    3,377
    Maybe if the fans stop going to games maybe the Monforts will be forced to either try to get a winning team here or sell the team to someone who cares about winning

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •