Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogue One

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Disney has done such an amazing job with Marvel and the MCU, I have faith in their ability to pump out these movies and have them all be just as enjoyable as the last.
    It's a shame that we won't get to see the entire Marvel universe in the Infinity Wars movies. It just won't be the same for me without the X-Men and Fantastic 4 fighting along side the Avengers.

It's a shame how Marvel mismanaged its properties from basically the 1980s until Disney bought them. The list of characters sold off and others character rights lost due to bad deals is astounding.

Adopted Posters:
    Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
    Adopted By:
    Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
    Broncbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    It's a shame that we won't get to see the entire Marvel universe in the Infinity Wars movies. It just won't be the same for me without the X-Men and Fantastic 4 fighting along side the Avengers.

It's a shame how Marvel mismanaged its properties from basically the 1980s until Disney bought them. The list of characters sold off and others character rights lost due to bad deals is astounding.
    It couldn't have happened any other way. Marvel as it existed in the past simply didn't have the resources to make movies inhouse (in fact they were at Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the late 90s) and still control character rights until they were absorbed by Disney. Thus they had no choice but to license some characters out to 20th Fox and others in order to get some made, and these companies did a good enough job with the X-Men and Spiderman, and made a enough money with them, that it effectively rebooted the superhero genre of movies in the 2000s and that was a big factor in Disney's decision to acquire the rest of it -they saw the profit potential!
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 05-20-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Yes and under Disney the first movie we got was better than all but maybe 1-2 of Lucas's movies

As long as they keep the quality high, they can pump as many movies a decade out as they feel like and I will gladly throw my cash at them.
    That's a matter of opinion, not fact, but it was of sufficiently high quality to capture interest, make a boatload of cash, and harness a new generation of fans.

I hope they can maintain it and we don't end up with McStarWars after renowned directors move on.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    That's a matter of opinion, not fact, but it was of sufficiently high quality to capture interest, make a boatload of cash, and harness a new generation of fans.

I hope they can maintain it and we don't end up with McStarWars after renowned directors move on.
    I'd put it above all but Empire and A New Hope. It's slightly ahead of Jedi, but miles ahead of the worthless prequels...

I'd put it above all but Empire and A New Hope. It's slightly ahead of Jedi, but miles ahead of the worthless prequels...
    I dont like it better than Jedi or Sith.

I dont like it better than Jedi or Sith.
    Jedi was decent...but ewoks....

I consider the entire prequel trilogy an abomination...Not a single one of those movies ever should have been made. I can't stomach watching them (even sith which was the best of them) because of just how horrid Hayden Christensen's acting was. The only saving grace for the entire trilogy was Ewan McGregor.

I get that it's an opinion...I don't state it as fact...For me I just can't stomach anything prequel related.

Jedi was decent...but ewoks....

I consider the entire prequel trilogy an abomination...Not a single one of those movies ever should have been made. I can't stomach watching them (even sith which was the best of them) because of just how horrid Hayden Christensen's acting was. The only saving grace for the entire trilogy was Ewan McGregor.

I get that it's an opinion...I don't state it as fact...For me I just can't stomach anything prequel related.
    I understand, a lot of people feel that way, and I feel that way about some of it.

I watched every single film in the theaters as they were released from 1977 onwards with more viewings in home video than I can count.

Lucas' weakness was in dialogue and drama direction, but he is an innovative visionary, great at creating sci-fantasy concepts, new worlds, technology, characters, and creatures (except maybe Ewoks and Gungans, lol) and he used all of these elements to dress up timeless mythological archetypes in a powerful, high-impact way -this is what resonates with people's core, particularly in A New Hope.

With the Prequels, Lucas insisted on writing all of the screenplays himself and directing them thus his weaknesses were rather painfully exposed. I enjoyed them when I initially saw each in the theater (many people did), but unlike the original trilogy, they have a poorer replay value and require lots of muting or fast-forwarding of certain scenes, or "fan edits" which you can find out there. I do appreciate the overall story, the artwork and spectacular visuals, and seeing the Jedi in action during their prime, and it was surreal to see all that come to life after decades of wondering about it! John Williams' scores were also outstanding! These are the things I focus upon and still enjoy when I re-watch them every few years.

RoTS stands apart for me because Lucas admitted that this was the story he really wanted to tell all along -not so much the other two - but the bridge to Episode IV and Anakin's fall. It was well-received by critics (and some ardent fans like Kevin Smith) because like Empire, it's a tragic "2nd act" where everything goes to hell -those are usually the best parts of any story. It also minimized the more objectionable material that comprised the previous two films --no Jar Jar, and only a couple of very brief, cringe-worthy love scenes with Anakin and Padme.

I agree that Jake Lloyd and Haydn Christiansen were awful Anakins. Haydn was terrible in AotC, more tolerable in RotS, thankfully. But this is really the fault of Robin Gurland IMO, the casting director. If you watch the tryouts for young Anakin, it 'seems' like Jake is the obvious choice, but in reality he wasn't good enough either, and Lucas just went with him because he can't judge this kind of thing very well plus it wasn't as important to him as technical matters. If it had been Spielberg instead, he would have insisted that she keep searching for a decent child actor or fired her!

The other part behind 'bad acting' is Lucas character direction and the unrealistic lines with which they were forced to use. Good direction can get the most out of even a poor or mediocre actor, while good actors have to work extra hard to overcome bad direction with raw talent or their experience. That's basically what Harrison Ford, Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid had to do and did well enough to save their parts. Ian gave a masterful performance as Palpatine -especially in RotS- one of the biggest reasons I like it. Jake Lloyd on the other hand basically acted like a cranky, pouting brat on set and Lucas let him get away with it. If Jake didn't want to shoot another scene then he had a fit and Lucas gave in, leaving editors to try to put together the best of subpar cuts that really needed to be reshot. But Lucas is a pushover with the kids, especially his own, and he catered to that audience with first teddy bears then all the stuff in Phantom Menace which had a Pampers quotient of 2.0.

What Lucas should have done is: 1) Hired Lawrence Kasdan back (from Empire and Jedi) to help him write the screenplays and come up with more realistic dialogue. 2) Gotten Irvin Kirshner back (from Empire) or someone else with experience in drama films to shoot the slower scenes. Lucas can do all the battles and pod races. 3) Fired Robin Gurland. 4) Written the saga for the correct audience which has to be the older and more sophisticated one, the original fans grown up. He shouldn't have started by catering to small children with an overload of juvenile humor and then finish with a PG-13 dark political drama -it was too schizophrenic. If he wanted to make a kiddie film then it should have been a wholly separate story and straight to TV like The Ewok Adventure and Battle for Endor films.

Speaking of which, I don't even see the Ewoks in RotJ anymore, I think my mind just learned to forgive and/or suppress them. The value of that film for me was Jabba, the surprise with Luke as a prepared Jedi badass with a new green saber in a great scene (people in the audience cheered and freaked out over it!), Leia in the slave outfit, Han's usual sarcastic wit, and of course The Emperor and the epic confrontation and redemption with Vader which is really what it's all about. That part made it for me as well as the powerful funeral scene of Luke burning his father. I just love that entire cast too and prefer them over all others.
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 05-20-2016 at 12:08 PM.

I don't really dislike Jedi... The Ewoks bring it down a bit for me because it's typical George Lucas, but not enough to harm the film. I would put Jedi and TFA at neck and neck with a slight edge to TFA only because it felt like a return to form where Jedi was kind of where things all started going wrong with Lucas and the franchise.

I realize that many of the issues with the prequels were Lucas and his ego, but that doesn't make any of the issues less glaring. They had their redeeming values, and you are right Kasdan and Kirshner could have redeemed the films, but I just cannot watch them. I tried to go back and rewatch them with my kids, he loved them...I checked out about midway through the Phantom Menace after I'd had one too many mesa's.....

I don't really dislike Jedi... The Ewoks bring it down a bit for me because it's typical George Lucas, but not enough to harm the film. I would put Jedi and TFA at neck and neck with a slight edge to TFA only because it felt like a return to form where Jedi was kind of where things all started going wrong with Lucas and the franchise.

I realize that many of the issues with the prequels were Lucas and his ego, but that doesn't make any of the issues less glaring. They had their redeeming values, and you are right Kasdan and Kirshner could have redeemed the films, but I just cannot watch them. I tried to go back and rewatch them with my kids, he loved them...I checked out about midway through the Phantom Menace after I'd had one too many mesa's.....
    How old are or were your kids when you did that and did you let them watch RotS too?

There are a few fan edits out there which deepened and reversed the audio to sound like garbled alien languages for the Trade Federation dorks and the Gungans and gave them subtitled lines instead which actually make more sense!

Here's one of a many examples out there:

I've seen some that merge PM and AotC into one film, others that slice out as many of Anakin's awful lines as possible like: " I don't like sand blah blah blah it's not silky and smoothe like you."

Last edited by LynchMobster; 05-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.

How old are or were your kids when you did that and did you let them watch RotS too?

There are a few fan edits out there which deepened and reversed the audio to sound like garbled alien languages for the Trade Federation dorks and the Gungans and gave them subtitled lines instead which actually make more sense!

Here's one of a many examples out there:

I've seen some that merge PM and AotC into one film, others that slice out as many of Anakin's awful lines as possible like: " I don't like sand blah blah blah it's not silky and smoothe like you."

This was fairly recently. He really wanted to see TFA, but hadn't watched any of the other movies (he's 8) Those movies are probably great for someone his age, because the guy who wrote them shared their intellect lol...I dunno I might checkout some of the fan edits. The cheese really did make the film unbearable. Similar to the way Lucas managed to ruin indy with CGI gophers, monkeys and a fridge nuke...

It really boils down to, I strongly dislike Lucas.

This was fairly recently. He really wanted to see TFA, but hadn't watched any of the other movies (he's 8) Those movies are probably great for someone his age, because the guy who wrote them shared their intellect lol...I dunno I might checkout some of the fan edits. The cheese really did make the film unbearable. Similar to the way Lucas managed to ruin indy with CGI gophers, monkeys and a fridge nuke...

It really boils down to, I strongly dislike Lucas.
    That stuff was Spielberg, not Lucas. For Indy movies George came up with the original character concept to begin with, and the stories, he didn't write scripts or add the silly stuff. Spielberg owned a couple of the things you listed for Crystal Skull:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2011/10/2...-crystal-skull

This comes back to what I was saying above -creative geniuses have their strengths and weaknesses, and comedy is not one of Spielberg's. His film 1941 was fairly bad --even Akroyd and Belushi talent couldn't save it, and his idea of funny in there is a tank crashing through a paint factory getting splattered with different colors -expensive to shoot and something that made people shrug and say 'what a mess'. And he had a number of leftover gags that he couldn't fit in that one which went into Indy movies instead like the scene in Raiders where Toht pulls out a coathanger and everyone reacts like it's nunchucks! That one was kinda funny. Spielberg's strong suit is serious drama though like Schindler's List.

I liked Crystal Skull but not as much as the old ones. What was outrageous in there didn't seem any more so than stuff we'd already seen -like exiting an airplane on a raft which lands on a ski slope which then goes off a steep cliff into a river, or a 400 hundred yr old knight who speaks modern English with ridiculous lines! It was all enjoyable to me. Some of my friends back then didn't like any sequels post-Raiders because of that over-the-top camp humor. For me it was just a comic book come to life -laws of science and realism don't apply in that medium either, and none of it is supposed to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 05-20-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Looks freaking awesome!!!
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 10-14-2016 at 04:31 PM.

BUMP! Official release is today, though there were screenings last night. Did anyone go?

I saw it and loved it. Starts slow but when it picks up, it doesn't stop.