Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogue One

For any Star Wars nut...the last 10 minutes make that movie.... just saw it.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    For any Star Wars nut...the last 10 minutes make that movie.... just saw it.
    I thought the entire second and third acts were great. They did a great job digitally recreating Peter Cushing's Tarkin too. That was amazing.

Wish those silly prequels were like this.

Awesome flick. Will see again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Wish those silly prequels were like this.

Awesome flick. Will see again and again.
    Yes. I liked it, too. Saw it in a theater with recliner seats.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either. Definitely much more like the originals than any other. Without a doubt, the best Star Wars since the originals. Worth seeing.

It's a bit scatter-brained. You may not understand it fully if you don't read some of the canon. Forest Whitaker had a throw away character that was marginalized (has a deeper history if you read the books). I thought the Donnie Yen character was odd and his constant chanting throughout the film was REALLY over the top and annoying (poor scripting).

Agree on the final couple minutes of the movie. Was stellar. I had a fanboy geekgasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either. Definitely much more like the originals than any other. Without a doubt, the best Star Wars since the originals. Worth seeing.

It's a bit scatter-brained. You may not understand it fully if you don't read some of the canon. Forest Whitaker had a throw away character that was marginalized (has a deeper history if you read the books). I thought the Donnie Yen character was odd and his constant chanting throughout the film was REALLY over the top and annoying (poor scripting).

Agree on the final couple minutes of the movie. Was stellar. I had a fanboy geekgasm.
    Obviously spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen it yet.

As for Whitaker's character, I think they really intended his character to have a bigger roll. Donnie Yen's character was amazingly awesome, I didn't get that vibe from him at all. Honestly for me if Empire is 1a. Rogue One is 1b. I actually thought it had very strong scripting that made me actually care about the characters a lot more than previous movies had. At the end of the movie I absolutely knew what was coming, but it still stung and it was a fitting conclusion for each of those characters.

Personally I loved it. You are probably only the second person I've heard that didn't enjoy it. That said, not every movie is going to impact every person, but this one is pretty universally well received and as much as I liked The Force Awakes, this movie blew it out of the water.

It's doing pretty well in the box office considering it didn't get a tenth of the hype The Force Awakens did! A lot of that is repeat viewings by some of the hardcore nuts like yours truly (3x so far).

$802M worldwide with $441M of that domestic grosses in 20 days! Got a long ways to go to catch TFA though which did $2B worldwide and nearly a billion domestic total. That was in 24 weeks.

Can't wait for the Blu-Ray! I hear there will be lots of easter eggs.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Personally I loved it. You are probably only the second person I've heard that didn't enjoy it. That said, not every movie is going to impact every person, but this one is pretty universally well received and as much as I liked The Force Awakes, this movie blew it out of the water.
    I agree that Rogue One was much better than Force Awakens. I hate Force Awakens, though. I consider it worse than all of the prequels except for Phanton Menace.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I agree that Rogue One was much better than Force Awakens. I hate Force Awakens, though. I consider it worse than all of the prequels except for Phanton Menace.
    Really? It failed to really impress me, but I don't hate it. I ranked it above TPM, AotC, and roughly equal to Sith and Jedi, in between perhaps. There were no obnoxious aliens or really atrocious cringeworthy lines/scenes as in the prequel trilogy. It just lacked originality in the plot being A New Hope 2.0 essentially.

I put TFA in my top 4. For me right now it's Empire 1a, Rogue One 1b. ROTJ 3, The Force Awakens 4, A New Hope 5.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    Really? It failed to really impress me, but I don't hate it. I ranked it above TPM, AotC, and roughly equal to Sith and Jedi, in between perhaps. There were no obnoxious aliens or really atrocious cringeworthy lines/scenes as in the prequel trilogy. It just lacked originality in the plot being A New Hope 2.0 essentially.
    I agree, it was A New Hope redone. But, the changes to the plot made it worse. The prequels, despite not being as good as the originals had unique stories that added to the already existing story. TFA undoes that. Luke was a strong new foundation to the Jedi. He was going to remake the Jedi. But according to TFA he isn't that / he's a failure. Han and Leia were in love and were to marry following the original - but TFA Han and Leia have a falling out. They failed. The Rebels destroyed the Empire - they won. But, TFA the Empire recovers and rebrands itself The First Order.

So, essentially, TFA undoes any and all accomplishments in the original series. All those characters in the originals were failures. They failed in destroying the empire, they failed in reforming the Jedi, they failed in their marriages. Return of the Jedi? What Jedi returned?! With TFA the Jedi didn't return. There was just Luke - everyone else was a failure or wasted talent.

It's one thing to continue and add to the originals, it's another to undo any and all of their accomplishments.

For me it goes:

Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    A New Hope
    (Rogue One - though not really part of the main episodes)
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Force Awakens
    Phantom Menace
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-04-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Solid movie - first third of it was a snore fest, but the final 2/3's of the film were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Solid movie - first third of it was a snore fest, but the final 2/3's of the film were awesome.
    I haven't seen it yet but expect I eventually will. Hopefully it's better than TFA. I watched that twice and both times the story felt forced (no pun intended) predictable, and some of the acting stiff, but much better than the prequels were.

I agree, it was A New Hope redone. But, the changes to the plot made it worse. The prequels, despite not being as good as the originals had unique stories that added to the already existing story. TFA undoes that. Luke was a strong new foundation to the Jedi. He was going to remake the Jedi. But according to TFA he isn't that / he's a failure. Han and Leia were in love and were to marry following the original - but TFA Han and Leia have a falling out. They failed. The Rebels destroyed the Empire - they won. But, TFA the Empire recovers and rebrands itself The First Order.

So, essentially, TFA undoes any and all accomplishments in the original series. All those characters in the originals were failures. They failed in destroying the empire, they failed in reforming the Jedi, they failed in their marriages. Return of the Jedi? What Jedi returned?! With TFA the Jedi didn't return. There was just Luke - everyone else was a failure or wasted talent.

It's one thing to continue and add to the originals, it's another to undo any and all of their accomplishments.
    It may be disappointing that that they all didn't live happily ever after, but nothing lasts forever and history, even in this sci-fantasy realm evidently, marches on. There are Neo-Nazi groups in many countries across the globe -does this mean the Allies "failed" to win World War 2? As with the Allies in Europe, the Rebels had their time to enjoy the fruits of victory, prosper, marry, have kids, start a new Jedi academy, restore democracy, etc. There are many years in between stories, enough for change to happen, for people to get divorced [Did you really expect the likes of Solo to settle down and be a good husband!?], for former Empire moguls (bitter about losing their power/status) to consolidate their forces elsewhere or rebuild. It's a vast galaxy of thousands of worlds with Imperial hardware all over the place. That this faction arose with that stuff is not inconceivable by any means, it was likely, and almost inevitable and predictable IMO.

For me it goes:

Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    A New Hope
    (Rogue One - though not really part of the main episodes)
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Force Awakens
    Phantom Menace
    Mine is:

1. ESB
    2. ANH*
    3. RotJ*
    4. RotS & TFA
    5. AotC
    6. TPM

* = without certain annoying Special Edition changes like Greedo shoots first, the awkward hangar scene with Jabba, excessive and bad CGI in Mos Eisley, the new number with the Max Rebo band, sticking Haydn Christiansen's head on Anakin's ghost at the end, etc.
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 01-24-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    It may be disappointing that that they all didn't live happily ever after, but nothing lasts forever and history, even in this sci-fantasy realm evidently, marches on. There are Neo-Nazi groups in many countries across the globe -does this mean the Allies "failed" to win World War 2? As with the Allies in Europe, the Rebels had their time to enjoy the fruits of victory, prosper, marry, have kids, start a new Jedi academy, restore democracy, etc. There are many years in between stories, enough for change to happen, for people to get divorced [Did you really expect the likes of Solo to settle down and be a good husband!?], for former Empire moguls (bitter about losing their power/status) to consolidate their forces elsewhere or rebuild. It's a vast galaxy of thousands of worlds with Imperial hardware all over the place. That this faction arose with that stuff is not inconceivable by any means, it was likely, and almost inevitable and predictable IMO.

Mine is:

1. ESB
    2. ANH*
    3. RotJ*
    4. RotS & TFA
    5. AotC
    6. TPM

* = without certain annoying Special Edition changes like Greedo shoots first, the awkward hangar scene with Jabba, excessive and bad CGI in Mos Eisley, the new number with the Max Rebo band, sticking Haydn Christiansen's head on Anakin's ghost at the end, etc.
    am i the only one that loved seeing Hayden Christiansen's anakin force ghost at the end of return ?

I mean the whole series is about his fall an redemption, makes sens to have the actor who turned to the darkside on screen be there for the final scene ?