X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baphamet
    Family Trust Beer
    • Nov 2006

the chargers also had arguably the worst run defense in the NFL and even though ingram had a good year the chargers were still bad at getting to the QB overall.

that was with a relatively healthy DL all year long. the OL while not great either was severely banged up, they used 24 different OL combinations last year......think about that for just a second.

the DL needed upgraded far more than the OL and the chargers top guy in the draft just so happens to play DE. the chargers had one decent defensive lineman over the last couple years and it showed.

kendall reyas was a huge bust and the rest of their guys are back up quality at best outside of Corey Liuget.

Comment

• 58Miller
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

Ok well then top 10 drafted DE's he has to play like to not be considered a Bust:
      JJ Watt - 8th overall
      Richard Seymour - 6th overall
      Julius Peppers - 2nd overall

Guys like Mario Williams and Chris Long became free agents because they didn't live up to their top of the draft selection.

You get taken #3 you better be 1st or 2nd team All-Pro baphs that's the criteria I don't care what position he plays better be a game changer.
      sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
        Football Immortal
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
        still on the media bandwagon i see?
        Nope. on the logical sense bandwagon...I realize it's a bandwagon you've never heard of or been near in your life though so I understand the confusion.
        sigpic

Comment

• atwaterandstir
          Football Immortal
          • Jul 2012

After the draft Vegas sports books have updated the odds to win the SB.......SD has now dropped to 31/32 teams at 100-1.

I guess while teams were drafting for future starters, SD went the route of replacing all their former backups with new backups.

Comment

• baphamet
            Family Trust Beer
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
            Nope. on the logical sense bandwagon...I realize it's a bandwagon you've never heard of or been near in your life though so I understand the confusion.
            then answer my question, who should they have taken and why?

Comment

• baphamet
              Family Trust Beer
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
              After the draft Vegas sports books have updated the odds to win the SB.......SD has now dropped to 31/32 teams at 100-1.

I guess while teams were drafting for future starters, SD went the route of replacing all their former backups with new backups.
              is that why the chargers drafted 3 players that were considered best at their position in the draft?

i'm well aware of the zero love SD is getting from the media and other places, a lot of it is based on ignorance as i mentioned before and i like them flying under the radar like that.

also, the chargers shouldn't have a high probability of winning the SB, i have no issues with that at all.

Comment

• baphamet
                Family Trust Beer
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                Ok well then top 10 drafted DE's he has to play like to not be considered a Bust:
                JJ Watt - 8th overall
                Richard Seymour - 6th overall
                Julius Peppers - 2nd overall

Guys like Mario Williams and Chris Long became free agents because they didn't live up to their top of the draft selection.

You get taken #3 you better be 1st or 2nd team All-Pro baphs that's the criteria I don't care what position he plays better be a game changer.
                okay so as a first round QB, lynch needs to perform like aaron rogers and drew brees who were drafted around the same time or he is a bust, is that how this works?

yes bosa needs to be an impact player and go to multiple probowls to justify where they picked him, he does not have to be jj watt, however.

Comment

• 58Miller
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jul 2013

okay so as a first round QB, lynch needs to perform like aaron rogers and drew brees who were drafted around the same time or he is a bust, is that how this works?

yes bosa needs to be an impact player and go to multiple probowls to justify where they picked him, he does not have to be jj watt, however.
                  I don't want to put words in your mouth, are you saying Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are late 1st Rd talents? I would argue both would be #1 overall picks in their respected drafts if they were re-done.
                  Are you going to hold Carson Wentz and Jared Goff to the same standard as Lynch?
                  Two teams Mortgaged their futures on those guys, Elway gave up a 3rd rd pick to select Lynch.
                  Players taken at the end of the 1st Rd should be at the least above average starters, but they are not held to the same standard as a 3rd overall pick.

I would say Paxton Lynch once he starts needs to put up Teddy Bridgewater, to Derek Carr numbers and by the end of his career be somewhere between Flacco & Chad Pennington.

See Baphs top 3 draft picks have to be great or considered a bust. Your boy Bosa has to at least be considered a top 10 talent in 4 years or he was at the least a reach. Paxton Lynch really just needs to out play guys like Cosy Kessler, Conor Cook, Jacoby Brisset, and Dak Prescott. If he ends up being better than Wentz or Goff he is a steal. Bosa not only has to be the best DE including especially Buckner but he needs to be better than Ramsey, Stanley, Tunsil, Floyd, Elliot and everybody else in the 1st Rd minus the two Qbs.

I'm not saying he has to be JJ Watt but he needs to be one of the best players from this draft at least a top 10 talent. he will be compared to those in this draft not others drafts.
                  A good example would be the 2005 draft. None of the top 10 drafted players turned out to be franchise picks. Demarcus Ware at #11 is the first great player followed by Thomas Davis at #14, Derrick Johnson at #15, and then the best player taken in the first rd was Aaron Rodgers at #24.
                  Alex Smith has turned out to be a good starter in the NFL and in my opinion if he was taken 24th overall that wouldn't have been a bad pick but as a Qb taken #1 overall you better be the franchise's savior or you are a bust! Positional players are not held to the same standard as Qbs.
                  Last edited by 58Miller; 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• -Rod-
                    #TeamBroncos
                    • Mar 2008

I thought Buckner would be the pick because he was a perfect fit. Bosa is better than Buckner as a player overall. I guess he will play OLB and move to DE on nickel formations. This is not much different than Denver passing on a need and perfect fit like Dareus to get their BPA, Miller.

I voted "NO! the kid can ball and will still have his hand in the dirt a lot!"
                    sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jan 2007

then answer my question, who should they have taken and why?
                      If they were going to go the route they went, someone who fits their scheme would be nice (he does not, despite your protests otherwise) I still think you should have went o-line, but even if you didn't go o-line you let the best player in the draft Jalen Ramsey pass you by.

If you are drafting for need, IMO it's o-line, if you are drafting BPA, Bosa isn't it, Ramsey is by a mile.
                      sigpic

Comment

• atwaterandstir
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jul 2012

His best move is the bull rush against Penn State walk- ons.

He will get eaten alive by NFL tackles.
                        I'm voting Buster Douglas.

Comment

• TommyBrady12
                          Practice Squad
                          • Jan 2014

for pete's sake it's one week after the draft....
                          Super Bowl Wins: Brady - 6 Elway - 2 Manning - 2 (played well in none and took HGH)

Comment

• chad72
                            Special Teams
                            • Mar 2012

Tom Telesco and Bill Polian love the Big Ten.

Dallas Clark, Anthony Gonzalez, Marlin Jackson were 3 of Polian's 12 first round draft picks and there were several more from the Big Ten like Kelvin Hayden, Bob Sanders, and Mike Hart that were starters as well. There used to be jokes about Polian and his staff "do they not have budgets to go beyond the Big Ten to scout"?

Flash forward to the last 2 drafts - Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin and Joey Bosa from Ohio State, it seems like high character guys from the Big Ten is somewhat of a recurring theme. Joey Bosa seems to be more of a talented guy with a high floor than a high ceiling to me compared to others slotted around his draft position, he will still be a good player, not sure about elite. Only time will tell about scheme fit.

One thing for sure - whether other teams predicted Polian's picks to be drafted where they were or not, Polian never cared, I guess the same goes for Telesco. Another unsung guy at Ohio state, Joshua Perry, Bosa's teammate is who I feel we may be singing praises of a few years down the road, IMO, more than Bosa himself.
                            Last edited by chad72; 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• 58Miller
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
                              Yes it is! But maybe a month after our Superbowl this same poster decided that John Elway was now going to have to really show what he is worth as a GM. So we pretty much have beat him up like your boy Brady was in the AFCCG and now he is grasping at anything to stay relevant. Comments made about Bosa by me and another poster (in the smack section, so take that for what its worth)have been turned into this thread. Get use to it there wont be much to talk about football wise until August so there will probably be a lot of way to early threads come up.
                              The way it works though is John Elway has won 5 AFC West Titles in a row, 2 AFC Conference Titles, and a Superbowl and somehow his skills as a GM are being questioned by this poster. But Melvin Ingram has had one good season in 4 years in the NFL and the jury is still out according to this poster on whether he is a bust as a round 1 draft pick or not? Shows you how this guy thinks and why he would start a thread like this.

What say you Tommy:

Melvin Ingram 16.5 sacks in 4 season in the NFL drafted #18 overall as a pass rusher in 2012: bust or not?

John Elway 5 AFC West Titles, 2 Conference Titles, and 1 Superbow Title in 5 years after inheriting a 4-12 team: overrated or not?
                              Last edited by 58Miller; 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• arapaho
                                reserved for losing bet
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TommyBrady12 View Post

we understand you are a little confused over the 3rd overall picks worth discussion seeing as you didn't have a 1st round pick

why was that again?
                                sigpic
                                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                                X