• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InsaneBlaze23
    The ArchAngel
    • Jan 2009

Baylor Death Penalty?

Has anyone been following the Baylor situation? Once more a program is being investigated involving sexual assault.

The situation with Baylor is pretty bad, so bad the death penalty is commonly being brought by the media.

Death Penalty is basically the shut down of the entire football program.

On my phone so can't share the articles. But its a serious situation involving the school trying to prevent women from coming out about being sexually assaulted.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders
  • DenverBlood
    Football Immortal
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    Has anyone been following the Baylor situation? Once more a program is being investigated involving sexual assault.

The situation with Baylor is pretty bad, so bad the death penalty is commonly being brought by the media.

Death Penalty is basically the shut down of the entire football program.

On my phone so can't share the articles. But its a serious situation involving the school trying to prevent women from coming out about being sexually assaulted.
    It is pretty bad but I'm not sure how they could justify the death penalty when they didn't do that to Colorado back when they got caught taking recruits to strip clubs on visits.

I'm not condoning what they did by any means. But the coaches and assistants at Colorado taking high school kids to strip clubs was pretty bad too. Personally when I was in high school I would've been stoked for someone to pay my way in. But I'd imagine my parents would've been pretty pissed about it. Some would probably also consider that preying on innocent victims.

I'm not saying they shouldn't give Baylor the death penalty. But I'm not sure how this is any worse than Colorado or even more recently Penn st.
    sigpic

Comment

• broncolee
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2007

It's my understanding that that the NCAA would be over stepping their bounds if they took action against Baylor just like did with Penn State.

Someone was saying that the NCAA's by-laws don't cover the issue with Baylor.

It's a Federal Department of Education issue and possibly a criminal issue.
      Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• FL BRONCO
        Traveling Mod
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        It's my understanding that that the NCAA would be over stepping their bounds if they took action against Baylor just like did with Penn State.

Someone was saying that the NCAA's by-laws don't cover the issue with Baylor.

It's a Federal Department of Education issue and possibly a criminal issue.
        This^^^^ after the Paterno's among others sued and won against the NCAA, I would be surprised if they did much. Its a criminal matter and should be dealt with as such
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Emily Diana
          Starter
          • Oct 2013

-Baylor investigation uncovers 52 acts of rape by no less than 31 football players

"A lawsuit filed against Baylor University by a former female student on Friday alleges that the program fostered a culture in which alcohol and illegal drugs were provided to recruits and coaches encouraged female students in the Baylor Bruins hostess program to have sex with recruits and players. ...

The Title IX lawsuit, filed by a former member of the Bruins, is the second such lawsuit filed against Baylor this week and the sixth federal lawsuit the school faces in the wake of an investigation that revealed the school failed to properly respond to and address sexual assaults by students, including football players." ...

"From 2009-15, Baylor football players were responsible for numerous crimes involving violent physical assault, armed robbery, burglary, drugs, guns, and, notably, the most widespread culture of sexual violence and abuse of women ever reported in a collegiate athletic program," the lawsuit says. "Baylor football under Briles had run wild, in more ways than one, and Baylor was doing nothing to stop it." ...

Last edited by Emily Diana; 01-29-2017, 05:29 AM.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2008

I don't think this is an NCAA issue, this is a Baylor and state of Texas issue, they need to be the ones to step in and clean things up, and get rid of any remaining bad people in the program to start changing the culture.

Looking at the criteria of the NCAA death penalty, it appears that their bylaws state that a "death penalty" (really just a 1 or 2 year ban) can ONLY be handed out if the school already on probation for the violation is found guilty of a serious violation during that probation.

And in it's history the NCAA has only handed out 3 death penalties:
            1. To Kentucky basketball in 1952 because they were found guilty of point shaving.
            2. Southwestern Louisiana basketball 1973, in this the team (coaches and boosters) were giving players money, letting players borrow cars and the most serious was the assistant coaches were creating academic fraud, they were changing recruits' high school transcripts to make them eligible and then forging signatures of the principals from those recruits' high schools.
            3. SMU Football 1986. They were flat out paying players massive sums and giving recruits things like houses and cars. When they were first caught they were put on probation and were going to stop, but they were so scared that the sheer magnitude of it would come out that they kept paying the players already in their program to try and make sure no one went public. There's a 30 For 30 on it called The Pony Excess, it's incredible, I highly recommend it.

So the three cases are completely different from this. As disgusting as the Baylor program is, it needs to be cleaned up (or shut down) by the institution or state, not from the NCAA. And Art Briles, the AD who was in charge and Ken Starr should never be put in positions of trust again.

Comment

Working...
            X