Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visiting Denver!

Hey everyone ....

I was born & raised in Pueblo, CO. moved to Florida about 20 years ago and have only been back to CO a few times in between and unfortunately those few times were for deaths in the family so I didn't get a chance to do a whole lot of things outside of being with the family.

Well not this time!!!! I'm coming into Denver at the end of this week and staying in Denver for 2 days before driving south towards Pueblo.

Question I have is ... what do you recommend to do in Denver or surrounding area? It's been about 23 years since I've been in that area to be honest so I'm not sure what there is to do and I would love some suggestions from locals.

I am bringing my wife and 2 daughters (11 & 8) and while we have limited time in the area we would love to experience Denver at it's core. I definitely plan on making it over to the stadium to at least hit the Broncos Store but outside of that we don't have much planned.

Maybe drive to Golden? anything goin on good in that area?
    Drive north? Boulder? Estes Park? etc.

We're staying in Downtown near the 16th street mall so we definitely plan on doing some things down there but hoping for some ideas outside of that area also!

Any ideas/help is much appreciated!

Looks like we are going to miss each other by a few days... I'll be going next Tuesday through Sunday to the Denver area for my wife's step-mom's memorial service.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 07-12-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Our plans so far by the way are to hit the zoo, maybe water world and possibly the aquarium

Boulder may not be ideal, with the fires going on in Cold Spring.

Things Denverites do in Denver

Hit a Rockies game
    Brunch
    Bike around town
    Elitches (sounds like that'd be a hit with the girls)
    Brewery tours

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Looks like we are going to miss each other by a few days... I'll be going next Tuesday through Sunday to the Denver area for my wife's step-mom's memorial service.
    Oh man, condolences to you and your wife. I know those trips are hard!

Our plans so far by the way are to hit the zoo, maybe water world and possibly the aquarium
    We are probably going to hit the Zoo, haven't decided if we're going to do the Denver Zoo or wait and do the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs later in the week. We probably won't do Water World since we have annual passes for the water parks here in Florida so it makes no sense to pay to get in there and I'm not sure about the aquarium yet ... my best guess is we probably won't go there since we have a really nice one here in Tampa that we visit often.

The Zoo is cool, so is the aquarium. I'd personally say the aquarium, but that's because we were Zoo season pass holders for about 4 years, so I got tired of going. The new elephant area is awesome though.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Hit a Rockies game
    Brunch
    Bike around town
    Brewery tours

Ahhhh I forgot about the fires goin on out there now? so sad to see every year! I had friends that lost everything in the Black Forest fire a few years back!

Thanks for the other suggestions though, I definitely appreciate it! although my girls wouldn't be interested in a Baseball game so that's probably a no go! might have to check out Elitches .. I completely forgot about that! and while I would LOOOOOOOVE to do some brewery tours, again I don't think the kids would be to keen on spending the time on that! :-(

Hit a Rockies game
    Brunch
    Bike around town
    Brewery tours
    You forgot "open windows previously painted closed, hit each other with belts, high five folks...."....
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Quote Originally Posted by Jermz79 View Post
    Ahhhh I forgot about the fires goin on out there now? so sad to see every year! I had friends that lost everything in the Black Forest fire a few years back!

Thanks for the other suggestions though, I definitely appreciate it! although my girls wouldn't be interested in a Baseball game so that's probably a no go! might have to check out Elitches .. I completely forgot about that! and while I would LOOOOOOOVE to do some brewery tours, again I don't think the kids would be to keen on spending the time on that! :-(
    You might be surprised...my girls are 9, 5 and 3 and they love brewery tours, but that might be because they grew up in a brewery lol

Last edited by CoryWinget81; 07-12-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Hooray, beer!

Oh man, condolences to you and your wife. I know those trips are hard!

We are probably going to hit the Zoo, haven't decided if we're going to do the Denver Zoo or wait and do the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs later in the week. We probably won't do Water World since we have annual passes for the water parks here in Florida so it makes no sense to pay to get in there and I'm not sure about the aquarium yet ... my best guess is we probably won't go there since we have a really nice one here in Tampa that we visit often.
    I've heard the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is one of the top 5 zoos in the country. I'd probably pick that over the Denver zoo. We aren't leaving the Denver area otherwise I'd likely head there too.

Quote Originally Posted by ebsoria View Post
    You forgot "open windows previously painted closed, hit each other with belts, high five folks...."....
    Just when I thought I never did anything cool,

Hooray, beer!

You might be surprised...my girls are 9, 5 and 3 and they love brewery tours, but that might be because they grew up in a brewery lol
    Is there any good breweries in the immediate Downtown area that you would recommend? or for that matter any good places to eat/drink at all?

I've heard the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is one of the top 5 zoos in the country. I'd probably pick that over the Denver zoo. We aren't leaving the Denver area otherwise I'd likely head there too.
    I haven't been in a long time but I remember from being a kid that the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was always a great time! I remember once my cousin from Vegas was visiting and we went and she got spit on by a Llama or something and cried the rest of the day because she could still smell the spit on her face!!!

If you're hitting up the team store, you should do the stadium tour. Also, if you go at the right time, you can stop by Dove Valley and see the new facility and the trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If you're hitting up the team store, you should do the stadium tour. Also, if you go at the right time, you can stop by Dove Valley and see the new facility and the trophies.
    I was planning on doing the stadium tour but the website says that tours will not be available the day before a home game or other large stadium events. The only day I'd have available to do the tour would be Friday and there is an Outlaws game on Saturday so I'm not sure if that qualifies as an "other large stadium event" ... I need to call!!

Is there any good breweries in the immediate Downtown area that you would recommend? or for that matter any good places to eat/drink at all?
    Prost and Strange will be on the stadium side of 25, Great Divide, Our Mutual Friend and Epic on the the east side of 25. All of those are pretty good places to visit, as far as breweries go. All of them are family friendly and usually have food trucks.

Wazee Supper Club is my all time favorite spot to grab some food. They make pizza and all other manner of things and always have a good tap list going. Euclid Hall and mellow mushroom are great as well. Both pretty kid friendly. Lucky Pie/Lodo is always good. The Rio Grande if you like mexican food and fantastic margaritas, and falling rock taphouse has the best burgers in downtown.

Cheers, I'm jealous.

EDIT, all of these places are kid friendly and have great beer or great drinks.

Hooray, beer!