Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walking the dog

Walking the dog

I've come across some predators over the years, just because I prefer to let my pups run in the desert or mountains as opposed to just taking them around the neighborhood. May not be the brightest idea to have boys off their leashes, but I like to give them the opportunity to burn off as much energy as possible while were out, even if they do have a decent backyard to play.

Over the years we've been surprised by gila monsters, rattlers, wolves, coyotes, and a mountain lion. Must say this morning is the most scared I've been when it comes to my buddies. Had a pack of coyotes try to lure two of my dogs, guess I'm almost lucky that the third one is blind and has to be on a leash at all times when we're walking, because I'm his seeing eye guy.

First thought when I saw the one was Crap, that coyote is bigger than either dog. Then there was two, then there was 4. Every time I got my dogs to turn around and start back to me, the coyotes would start coming back to try and drive them back to their way. Finally get my dogs back and one starts barking just like a dog and the others all start spreading out. I say this was to lure them back again, because my dogs were trying. I read though that coyotes do this to alert the others of danger, as a warning, really doesn't seem that way then since I got my dogs away from them a couple times and it was the coyotes that came back at us. I think they do it to lure them off to kill them.

Not sure what the answer is to make dogs listen when there is danger and not chase. Obedience school? Shock collars? What's the answer?

What do you guys do to protect your four legged friends when you come across danger out hiking/walking? Also what type of predators have you come across when your out?

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

Scary story!
    I live in the countryside but we don't have any encounters with dangerous animals so I have no tips.
    The most hair raising thing our beautiful Springer Spaniel Poppy encounters is the possibility of being hit by a car when she loses her head chasing Sparrows!
    What breed are your dogs Sophia?

The "predators" I fear the most is probably other peoples dogs - especially pit bull type - that are loose. I keep my dogs on a fairly tight leash about 8 feet long to keep them safe. I see no other solution. We have coyotes around us and there is open country all around our small town but we do live in a subdivision. Although I don't see it as a "high" risk to let them run some and It would be nice to let the dogs run some off leash but I have concluded that it is not safe enough and I would not forgive myself if something happened to them so they stay on the leash.
    My dogs are relatively small too.
    Around here there is another problem with letting them run loose or even walking them even on a leash ... they are called goat head stickers, my one dog has hair like a sheepdog - miniature sheepdog - and those stickers stick to her like she is Velcro, then she tries to chew them out of her hair and they get stuck in her mouth/lips ... she gets tortured. We do too, helping her. Fall is the worst time - I think - for them too.

I had. Cougar jump out at me. The dog startled it and it ran. Then turned on the dog. Fortunately for the dog and I we got outa there all good.

The only other predator was the long haired drunk skid with a Sheppard. Me and my pitty won that encounter

Being In Canada w don't really bring anything with us but bear spray.

At least our predators always apologize after the mauling though,eh
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

Not really predators, but this past weekend a bunch of gnarly bikers were carrying on out in my cul-de-sac. They were being really loud, noisy, and disturbing the peace. I was not scared and went outside and shouted at them to 'get the hell out of here!' They got on their Big wheels and pedaled home.

Jaws, I envy that you have the country side without dealing with dangerous animals. I have a Cattle dog mix (Jake), Ridgeback/Pitbull mix (Bear) who always listened until we got our newest bud which is Siberian Husky Mix (Cody). Now he just follows what the Husky does. My biggest worry since it's cooled down and no snakes was cars too. Just cuz they get carried away chasing rabbits or birds, so I don't cut them loose til I'm a long way from the road ... can't be too careful of cars.

Brian, that's the way to be ... I just need some discipline myself to not be so free with them, but I never learn ... I go a long time without incident and think no one's around they can run here ... then something happens and all's I can think is how hard it would be to handle if something happened due to my carelessness. There is cactus everywhere where we go, but the dogs for the most part are smart enough to stay out of it .... like yours though can't always be avoided. I love pitbulls, haven't had that bad experience yet .... the only dogs I don't love are dobermans.

EddieMac, at the long haired drunk ... the cougar incident must've be scary .... I hate being startled by anything like that, but have been lucky for the most part in getting my dogs on leash before they see it .... with a wolf and another time with a mountain lion. Is your's usually off the leash?

Rancid, way to protect your fur buddies from noisy biker folk hehe.

I was in kind of a bad mood this morning, since it had just happened ... enjoyed the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    Brian, that's the way to be ... I just need some discipline myself to not be so free with them, but I never learn ... I go a long time without incident and think no one's around they can run here ... then something happens and all's I can think is how hard it would be to handle if something happened due to my carelessness. There is cactus everywhere where we go, but the dogs for the most part are smart enough to stay out of it .... like yours though can't always be avoided. I love pitbulls, haven't had that bad experience yet .... the only dogs I don't love are dobermans.
    I love all dogs too ... we used to have a wolf mix/hybrid; probably the best dog I ever had. I can't say the same for some - a minority - owners though.
    I thought a little more about ever letting my dogs off leash ... we do take them to the mountains a few times a year and we usually will find a place with a creek and then I am afraid to not take the leash off as they play/swim in the creek ... so I guess I do make an exception in some special circumstances too.

The only breed I am uncomfortable around is Rottweilers. And that's based on a couple of bad experiences with them.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

I was in kind of a bad mood this morning, since it had just happened ... enjoyed the responses.
    They have a way to make you smile, don't they?

I hope you find a solution to your situation. Dogs love to run, but you do need to think of their safety (and yours). Obedience school? It seems like that would work.

The only problem when I had a dog (white boxer) was when I lived in an apartment. I went to take him for a walk on a leash and the dog next door was out without a leash and attacked mine. I got between them and broke it up. The thing that made me mad was that the other owners thought it was funny.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Peanut, I have to agree ... probably going to look into some training for our Husky, he listens all the way up until there is something to chase. I think once his instinct kicks in, he can't hear his name or something. Wasn't sure what to think, since we've seen Coyotes many times with our Bear, but up until yesterday he understood not to mess with them.

I'll admit I get irritated when other off leash dogs approach, because when there are other dogs or people around mine are on a leash. It's disrespectful on the owners side for your neighbors whose dog attacked yours .... I know mine has got away from me a couple times, and I'm apologizing all over the place out of embarrassment usually. Most people have been understanding, but mine's never attacked anyone ... or another dog, can't imagine the type of person to find that funny.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    The only breed I am uncomfortable around is Rottweilers. And that's based on a couple of bad experiences with them.
    Yeah me not liking Doberman's goes back to my kid years, when one of my friends got bit all over every time his parents sent him out to feed the dogs....

not sure why I'm bumping this thread .... getting to be that time when I have to make the call to put one down....... freaken sucks losing a family member.

not sure why I'm bumping this thread .... getting to be that time when I have to make the call to put one down....... freaken sucks losing a family member.
    I'm sorry, Sophia. That's such a hard thing to do.

*hugs*
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I'm sorry, Sophia. That's such a hard thing to do.

*hugs*
    Thanks, Peanut .... certainly need a hug, have only had to do one other time and it kills me to do it.