Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Walking the dog

So sorry to hear of your situation. You have my sympathies.

I can't stop thinking about having to put my giant Lab/Pyrenees down. He's only 7, but I have heard that 9 or 10 would be as long as he'd live. I'm dreading it and have been thinking about it so much lately, that I just hug him so tight and lay with him constantly petting him, telling him how of a good dog he is. I've never loved a dog like this and I think it's part of a coping mechanism to help me deal with it when it eventually comes even though it's hopefully many years out. I know it's going to be soul-crushing

Putting down dogs is the worst thing ever. So, I definitely will be sending good vibes your way.

----
    Not sure if you still let your others roam around on walks, but I would highly recommend carrying a firearm and training with it. I saw AZ in your profile on the left of your post and promptly looked up Arizona law:

"In Arizona, a person over age 21 may legally carry a concealed firearm or deadly weapon without a permit within the state, except for certain prohibited locations, and must disclose the fact to a law enforcement officer if questioned."
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I can't stop thinking about having to put my giant Lab/Pyrenees down. He's only 7, but I have heard that 9 or 10 would be as long as he'd live. I'm dreading it and have been thinking about it so much lately, that I just hug him so tight and lay with him constantly petting him, telling him how of a good dog he is. I've never loved a dog like this and I think it's part of a coping mechanism to help me deal with it when it eventually comes even though it's hopefully many years out. I know it's going to be soul-crushing

Putting down dogs is the worst thing ever. So, I definitely will be sending good vibes your way.

----
    Not sure if you still let your others roam around on walks, but I would highly recommend carrying a firearm and training with it. I saw AZ in your profile on the left of your post and promptly looked up Arizona law:

"In Arizona, a person over age 21 may legally carry a concealed firearm or deadly weapon without a permit within the state, except for certain prohibited locations, and must disclose the fact to a law enforcement officer if questioned."
    Thanks. Yes, it's definitely heartbreaking when it has to be done. I was always told Labs usually lived 7-10 years, ours lived 15 .... so you never know, I wouldn't worry what others say their life span is ... but just enjoy your time with him. I do hope you have many more years with your buddy.

My current buddy is about 15-16 not sure his exact age, but I don't want him to be in pain and feel like that's where he's at now. We got him in 2003, when my step son was told he had to find him a good home. He know's I'm sucker for pups, and ask us to watch him while he found him a home ... when I'd ask so did you ever find him a home, yep he lives with you.... lol .... wouldn't have ever given him up anyways.

As far as still letting my boys run free, only one of them < the one that listens. That's gonna have to stop here soon though as we enter snake season for the next six months... just to be safe. It's been months since I allowed my husky off his leash, last time I did I spent 2+ hours picking cactus out of him, never again.....

I don't usually walk by myself anymore .... funny when I was young, didn't think twice about it, because I had a super protective large dog.... Seen too much weird stuff over the years, that I just don't go much by myself anymore. However, if we're a ways from town, in the desert or camping or hiking in the mountains, then my husband pretty much always carries a gun ... just since you never know what you'll come across. Not a bad suggestion at all.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

How are things going, Sophia?
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    How are things going, Sophia?
    Hey Peanut. Haven't been able to bring myself to make the call yet. I'm trying not to wait too long... because I waited too long with my lab, and don't ever want to do that to another pup... I see him going through days where he's totally confused and having issues and I think I have to put him down, then he has a really good day ... and I think I don't want to be wrong when I make the call. Just don't want him to be in pain.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian