Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Walking the dog

So sorry to hear of your situation. You have my sympathies.

I can't stop thinking about having to put my giant Lab/Pyrenees down. He's only 7, but I have heard that 9 or 10 would be as long as he'd live. I'm dreading it and have been thinking about it so much lately, that I just hug him so tight and lay with him constantly petting him, telling him how of a good dog he is. I've never loved a dog like this and I think it's part of a coping mechanism to help me deal with it when it eventually comes even though it's hopefully many years out. I know it's going to be soul-crushing

Putting down dogs is the worst thing ever. So, I definitely will be sending good vibes your way.

----
    Not sure if you still let your others roam around on walks, but I would highly recommend carrying a firearm and training with it. I saw AZ in your profile on the left of your post and promptly looked up Arizona law:

"In Arizona, a person over age 21 may legally carry a concealed firearm or deadly weapon without a permit within the state, except for certain prohibited locations, and must disclose the fact to a law enforcement officer if questioned."
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I can't stop thinking about having to put my giant Lab/Pyrenees down. He's only 7, but I have heard that 9 or 10 would be as long as he'd live. I'm dreading it and have been thinking about it so much lately, that I just hug him so tight and lay with him constantly petting him, telling him how of a good dog he is. I've never loved a dog like this and I think it's part of a coping mechanism to help me deal with it when it eventually comes even though it's hopefully many years out. I know it's going to be soul-crushing

Putting down dogs is the worst thing ever. So, I definitely will be sending good vibes your way.

----
    Not sure if you still let your others roam around on walks, but I would highly recommend carrying a firearm and training with it. I saw AZ in your profile on the left of your post and promptly looked up Arizona law:

"In Arizona, a person over age 21 may legally carry a concealed firearm or deadly weapon without a permit within the state, except for certain prohibited locations, and must disclose the fact to a law enforcement officer if questioned."
    Thanks. Yes, it's definitely heartbreaking when it has to be done. I was always told Labs usually lived 7-10 years, ours lived 15 .... so you never know, I wouldn't worry what others say their life span is ... but just enjoy your time with him. I do hope you have many more years with your buddy.

My current buddy is about 15-16 not sure his exact age, but I don't want him to be in pain and feel like that's where he's at now. We got him in 2003, when my step son was told he had to find him a good home. He know's I'm sucker for pups, and ask us to watch him while he found him a home ... when I'd ask so did you ever find him a home, yep he lives with you.... lol .... wouldn't have ever given him up anyways.

As far as still letting my boys run free, only one of them < the one that listens. That's gonna have to stop here soon though as we enter snake season for the next six months... just to be safe. It's been months since I allowed my husky off his leash, last time I did I spent 2+ hours picking cactus out of him, never again.....

I don't usually walk by myself anymore .... funny when I was young, didn't think twice about it, because I had a super protective large dog.... Seen too much weird stuff over the years, that I just don't go much by myself anymore. However, if we're a ways from town, in the desert or camping or hiking in the mountains, then my husband pretty much always carries a gun ... just since you never know what you'll come across. Not a bad suggestion at all.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian