Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A closer look at Kyle Shanahan

It seems many on here would like him to be the next HC. Despite being only 37, he already has about 10 years worth of OC experience. Let's dig a little deeper.

2008 Houston OC- Texans have 3rd ranked offense

2009 Houston OC- Texans have 4th ranked offense

2010 Washington OC- Redskins have 18th ranked offense

2011 Washington OC- Redskins have 16th ranked offense

2012 Washington OC- Redskins have 5th ranked offense

2013 Washington OC- Redskins have 9th ranked offense

2014 Cleveland OC- Browns have 23 ranked offense

2015 Atlanta OC- Falcons have 7 ranked offense

2016 Atlanta OC- Falcons currently have 2nd ranked offense

So, in 6 out of 9 seasons Kyle has had at least a top 10 offense. Pretty good. I do wonder if he is too young to be a head coach. There might be some growing pains. Then again, Adam Gase is only a little older and has had a good first year as coach of Miami. Also, the offensive talent here isn't nearly as good as Atlanta's. I expect Elway to remedy that some, but I also heard Elway recently say defense is the identity of this team. Would young Shanny want to coach a team that is predominantly about defense? In any event, I'll trust Elway to make the right move.

Darn shame he did that year in Cleveland. Can you imagine trying to actually install an offense and get some positive work going, but being harassed by the owner to play Manziel! Tragic.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    It seems many on here would like him to be the next HC. Despite being only 37, he already has about 10 years worth of OC experience. Let's dig a little deeper.

2008 Houston OC- Texans have 3rd ranked offense

2009 Houston OC- Texans have 4th ranked offense

2010 Washington OC- Redskins have 18th ranked offense

2011 Washington OC- Redskins have 16th ranked offense

2012 Washington OC- Redskins have 5th ranked offense

2013 Washington OC- Redskins have 9th ranked offense

2014 Cleveland OC- Browns have 23 ranked offense

2015 Atlanta OC- Falcons have 7 ranked offense

2016 Atlanta OC- Falcons currently have 2nd ranked offense

So, in 6 out of 9 seasons Kyle has had at least a top 10 offense. Pretty good. I do wonder if he is too young to be a head coach. There might be some growing pains. Then again, Adam Gase is only a little older and has had a good first year as coach of Miami. Also, the offensive talent here isn't nearly as good as Atlanta's. I expect Elway to remedy that some, but I also heard Elway recently say defense is the identity of this team. Would young Shanny want to coach a team that is predominantly about defense? In any event, I'll trust Elway to make the right move.
    Yards don't always tell the full story though, what was the scoring like in these various years? I know Atlanta is number 1 this year. Also how many years did he call plays? I don't believe that he did in Houston.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Yards don't always tell the full story though, what was the scoring like in these various years? I know Atlanta is number 1 this year. Also how many years did he call plays? I don't believe that he did in Houston.
    Total points in those years paints a somewhat less rosy picture.

2008- 17th total points
    2009- 10th total points
    2010- 25th total points
    2011- 26th total points
    2012- 4th total points
    2013- 23rd total points
    2014- 27th total points
    2015- 21st total points
    2016- 1st total points.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Total points in those years paints a somewhat less rosy picture.

2008- 17th total points
    2009- 10th total points
    2010- 25th total points
    2011- 26th total points
    2012- 4th total points
    2013- 23rd total points
    2014- 27th total points
    2015- 21st total points
    2016- 1st total points.
    And that's my worry. The zone blocking system has always been good between the 20's, but zone blocking, in it's nature, is slow developing, so it's not nearly as effective in short yardage and goal to go situations. If Kubiak is hired, I would hope he'd bring in an o-line coach who would help install angle blocked plays as well.

I don't think I'd like to see shanny jr. I want a manager as the head coach with strong assistants. But hey what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    And that's my worry. The zone blocking system has always been good between the 20's, but zone blocking, in it's nature, is slow developing, so it's not nearly as effective in short yardage and goal to go situations. If Kubiak is hired, I would hope he'd bring in an o-line coach who would help install angle blocked plays as well.
    Something tells me you don't have to worry about Kubiak being hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosinindy View Post
    I don't think I'd like to see shanny jr. I want a manager as the head coach with strong assistants. But hey what do I know
    Me too. (For the record)

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    LOL to this post!!!
    I wish I could CP from the mobile platform!
    Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Darn shame he did that year in Cleveland. Can you imagine trying to actually install an offense and get some positive work going, but being harassed by the owner to play Manziel! Tragic.

What makes it even more tragic is that the coach,GM and most of the coaching staff didn't want Manziel they wanted Derek Carr,but got overruled by the owner...
    2016 Adopted Bronco-TJ Ward

Quote Originally Posted by assassin216 View Post
    What makes it even more tragic is that the coach,GM and most of the coaching staff didn't want Manziel they wanted Derek Carr,but got overruled by the owner...
    They would have just ruined Carr. Manziel was/is the right choice for that dumpster fire
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    They would have just ruined Carr. Manziel was/is the right choice for that dumpster fire
    Had the owner let the football people, who were clearly on the right path with Carr, do their jobs that he paid them dearly to do, that dumpster fire would be completely out and they'd be fighting for that division. Look at the talent on that roster and picture Carr doing what Ryan is doing. They had a good offensive staff, all they had to do was dump Rob Ryan and hire any other DC. The owner meddling set them back another 15 years.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Haha, that's the second time today, earlier I referred to Lynch as Osweiler. I'm just getting too old!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncodoodle View Post
    LOL to this post!!!
    I wish I could CP from the mobile platform!
    Hilarious!

I hit him up with one already.

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Had the owner let the football people, who were clearly on the right path with Carr, do their jobs that he paid them dearly to do, that dumpster fire would be completely out and they'd be fighting for that division. Look at the talent on that roster and picture Carr doing what Ryan is doing. They had a good offensive staff, all they had to do was dump Rob Ryan and hire any other DC. The owner meddling set them back another 15 years.
    Carr would not have had the browns fighting for the division this early.