Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Poor guy really dodged a bullet. Had he pulled some crap like that in Denver, he'd be wishing he took the SF job anyway.

Also, I don't trust coordinators that coach from the box, especially when you're wholly responsible for the production of the offense.
    That's my opinion as well. I've seen it done both ways and I've been in the box with them and on the sideline, too. The box is great for observing the opponent, but a spotter can be in the box with a list of specifics to observe and report via headset. Being on the sideline puts the coordinator in touch with the flow of the game and the mood of the players. It exposes him to real time, real game input that the box filters out.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    He got cocky plain and simple. He wanted 7 and to pile on the Pats instead of playing the numbers and taking the three and forcing Brady to play the whole field on their next possession with a two possession lead. That single drive what the biggest factor in the outcome of the game.

He's a smart guy and I think will learn from that monumental mistake.

It really turned a snooze fest of a game in to some pretty interesting though, I'll say that.
    That is exactly what happened.

I guess you can look at it as he trusted his offense to get the points and put the dagger home. I sure hope he learns.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    That's my opinion as well. I've seen it done both ways and I've been in the box with them and on the sideline, too. The box is great for observing the opponent, but a spotter can be in the box with a list of specifics to observe and report via headset. Being on the sideline puts the coordinator in touch with the flow of the game and the mood of the players. It exposes him to real time, real game input that the box filters out.
    That's exactly how I feel. Sure up there I can see sets and shifts, etc. I can't see my if my LT is gasping for air or if the halfback I just called in on a package is still recovering from his last hit. I can't look Matt Ryan in the eye and say "no matter what happens, you CANNOT take a sack here, Matt".

I think in big game situations, for my money, those face to face encounters are priceless. I can tell you over a radio, sure. I can tell you and make you feel me face to face.

They were in over their heads, IMO. The Pats are veterans of situational football, and they just sat back and waited for a young Atlanta team to make a mistake to let them back in the game. Back misses a block on a 7 step drop (bad situational call, btw), QB hit, balls out. Here comes the Pats. They just sat there in the tall grass and waited. It was like watching a predator.

Hooray, beer!

Interesting. The same people that say the mediocre performance of Vance Joseph's defense does not relate to being a head coach are saying "aaahhhh I'm glad Kyle Shanahan is not our head coach". If the Falcons had won the Super Bowl, the narrative would be "the head coach is not just a coordinator". "Vance Joseph is a leader of men, it's not about X's and O's".

BUT... Now that Atlanta lost, it's okay to doubt Kyle Shanahan as a head coach. Not Vance Joseph, though.

Also, every time the Falcons looked good on offense, it was not Kyle Shanahan's work, but "the talent on offense, they are loaded on offense". But when the Falcons collapsed late in the 4th quarter, it wasn't the offensive players failing to execute, it was all Kyle Shanahan. Not to mention that Atlanta has a head coach to tell his coordinator what he wants in terms of clock management during a game situation.

So, Falcons win = "that's not what being a head coach is about" and "they did not win because of Shanahan; those players are really good, they are loaded"...

Falcons lose = "I'm glad Kyle Shanahan isn't our head coach" and "they lost because of Kyle Shanahan"...

Funny.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. Sure up there I can see sets and shifts, etc. I can't see my if my LT is gasping for air or if the halfback I just called in on a package is still recovering from his last hit. I can't look Matt Ryan in the eye and say "no matter what happens, you CANNOT take a sack here, Matt".

I think in big game situations, for my money, those face to face encounters are priceless. I can tell you over a radio, sure. I can tell you and make you feel me face to face.

They were in over their heads, IMO. The Pats are veterans of situational football, and they just sat back and waited for a young Atlanta team to make a mistake to let them back in the game. Back misses a block on a 7 step drop (bad situational call, btw), QB hit, balls out. Here comes the Pats. They just sat there in the tall grass and waited. It was like watching a predator.
    When Kyle becomes a Head Coach, he will be on the sideline, ... or will he?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Interesting. The same people that say the mediocre performance of Vance Joseph's defense does not relate to being a head coach are saying "aaahhhh I'm glad Kyle Shanahan is not our head coach". If the Falcons had won the Super Bowl, the narrative would be "the head coach is not just a coordinator". "Vance Joseph is a leader of men, it's not about X's and O's".

BUT... Now that Atlanta lost, it's okay to doubt Kyle Shanahan as a head coach. Not Vance Joseph, though.

Also, every time the Falcons looked good on offense, it was not Kyle Shanahan's work, but "the talent on offense, they are loaded on offense". But when the Falcons collapsed late in the 4th quarter, it wasn't the offensive players failing to execute, it was all Kyle Shanahan. Not to mention that Atlanta has a head coach to tell his coordinator what he wants in terms of clock management during a game situation.

So, Falcons win = "that's not what being a head coach is about" and "they did not win because of Shanahan; those players are really good, they are loaded"...

Falcons lose = "I'm glad Kyle Shanahan isn't our head coach" and "they lost because of Kyle Shanahan"...

Funny.
    Shanahans play calling is exactly why people were nervous about him. His play calling showed his immaturity and ego. He wanted to pile on the Pats, and leave ATL as the immortalized golden boy. The "genius" that took the Pats to the woodshed.

3rd and 1 with 8:30 left up 16 points at the time. The moron dials up a deep pass, and I'm not talking 15 yards. I'm talking a chuck it down field pass. Instead of a run or a short pass Shanahan went for the glory. Never mind they were terrible on 3rd down all game. Never mind you left freeman on Hightower (Freeman would never win that matchup). Make no mistake. Look at the Pats sideline. They never believed they had a shot until that stupid play call. That is when the Pats started to believe they could do it.

Then Julio has his amazing catch that Matt Ryan threw up (And once again it was 3rd and 1 with another stupid deep pass). Little under 5 mins left on the Pats 22 with the Pats having 2 TOs left. After a 1 yard loss Shanahan once again had his eyes way too far down field. Instead of running two more times and forcing NE to possibly burn TOs, Shanahan wanted glory again. The rest is history stupid sack, holding call, and now Brady has his shot.

Shanahan wasn't a leader. He was a selfish prick who wanted all the glory, of look what his offense did. He wanted to say "Look what I did to hoodie." The Falcons played 0 situational football. NONE. Shanahan put himself ahead of the team. There is a reason NO ONE is calling the offense to "Execute Better". Shanahan is not ready to lead an entire group of men, and if you can't see that after last night then you never will. Hopefully the niners give Shanahan time to grow, but this could also blow up in their face very fast.

Did Kyle Shanahan become the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons during the Super Bowl? How can we know if he was not following orders to stay aggressive and kill the Patriots for good instead of playing safe? What was Dan Quinn doing there? He stood silent watching all that? What is the job of the head coach? Isn't the head coach responsible for instructing his coordinators and manage the clock? Also, calling a pass play on 3rd & short does not mean "miss the pass protection" or "take that sack". I thought it was considered predictable, conservative playcalling around here when the coach calls a run up the middle on 3rd & short. Anyway, the head coach has a job to do and Dan Quinn did not do his job properly.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Shanahans play calling is exactly why people were nervous about him. His play calling showed his immaturity and ego. He wanted to pile on the Pats, and leave ATL as the immortalized golden boy. The "genius" that took the Pats to the woodshed.

3rd and 1 with 8:30 left up 16 points at the time. The moron dials up a deep pass, and I'm not talking 15 yards. I'm talking a chuck it down field pass. Instead of a run or a short pass Shanahan went for the glory. Never mind they were terrible on 3rd down all game. Never mind you left freeman on Hightower (Freeman would never win that matchup). Make no mistake. Look at the Pats sideline. They never believed they had a shot until that stupid play call. That is when the Pats started to believe they could do it.

Then Julio has his amazing catch that Matt Ryan threw up (And once again it was 3rd and 1 with another stupid deep pass). Little under 5 mins left on the Pats 22 with the Pats having 2 TOs left. After a 1 yard loss Shanahan once again had his eyes way too far down field. Instead of running two more times and forcing NE to possibly burn TOs, Shanahan wanted glory again. The rest is history stupid sack, holding call, and now Brady has his shot.

Shanahan wasn't a leader. He was a selfish prick who wanted all the glory, of look what his offense did. He wanted to say "Look what I did to hoodie." The Falcons played 0 situational football. NONE. Shanahan put himself ahead of the team. There is a reason NO ONE is calling the offense to "Execute Better". Shanahan is not ready to lead an entire group of men, and if you can't see that after last night then you never will. Hopefully the niners give Shanahan time to grow, but this could also blow up in their face very fast.
    If he was calling the plays, then I put a lot of it on him. Just as you say. You run out the clock and you play conservative, though you can throw in some high % passes, to your TEs/RBs. As you mentioned, the game turned on me with just over 8 minutes to go, when Ryan got blindsided trying to go long. That play changed everything. A punt would have made The Pats work, and lose more time.

And here's the thing....you know Brady is going to throw 4 passes to get a first down, against a gassed, prevent D. Give that same scenario to a Brees or Rodgers and see if they don't move the ball.

But yes, bad play calling.....and no doubt, not on him - poor execution.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Did Kyle Shanahan become the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons during the Super Bowl? How can we know if he was not following orders to stay aggressive and kill the Patriots for good instead of playing safe? What was Dan Quinn doing there? He stood silent watching all that? What is the job of the head coach? Isn't the head coach responsible for instructing his coordinators and manage the clock? Also, calling a pass play on 3rd & short does not mean "miss the pass protection" or "take that sack". I thought it was considered predictable, conservative playcalling around here when the coach calls a run up the middle on 3rd & short. Anyway, the head coach has a job to do and Dan Quinn did not do his job properly.
    So Dan Quinn not stepping in excuses Shanahan for being a selfish moron? Some bosses/HCs are not micro managers. Trusts his guys to be smart. Shanahan wasn't smart. Do I think Quinn should have stepped in after the strip sack? Yes, but he did not. But that doesn't excuse Shanahan from not learning from his prior mistake. Fact is Shanahan abandoned a run game that averaged over 5 yards a carry.

There is a reason everyone is putting the loss squarely on him. Heck, Shanahan even said so. Shanahan does his job correctly the Falcons are bringing a trophy back to ATL.