Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Siemian's Size

A separated shoulder won't be prevented by bulking up. Bulking up might help him absorb the regular hits that a QB takes throughout each game, but injuries to knees and shoulders, and broken bones, aren't going to be prevented by bulking up.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Anyone else think Siemian need to bulk up a little? I really don't know how he can survive all those hits with such a slight build? Is it just not encouraged for a QB to workout much? I don't expect him to look like a linebacker but some extra muscle could help.
    They definitely work out and train for strength although it may not manifest in to what we visually appreciate as"strong", especially for a position that requires the player to be quick and limber.

What will help him avoid injury better than getting larger is avoiding being hit.

If Doug Flute could make it so can Trevor lol

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    That is my thinking, as well. Peyton was a master at "self-sacking" rather than taking the huge hit, or throwing an interception. THAT'S what I want to see out of Siemian.

I was never a fan of Brian Griese, but his change from working with a trainer after his first season in Denver brought dramatic and obvious physical changes. Getting stronger will add a little more zip to the ball, get Siemian out of trouble when being rushed, and help get that crucial 1st Down when he has to run.
    There were some plays where he moved out of the pocket to avoid sacks, pickup yards or throw. I recall at one point in the season Kubiak encouraged him to do that more when necessary. The scramble he had in the first game vs. KC was a good example - the one where he went left then came back to the right and connected with Taylor or a TD. He's actually pretty mobile and probably just needs to get comfortable knowing when that needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He can be anymore slight than Tom Brady, he looks like a slender man. But I guess some people just take punishment better than others.
    Deep Thoughts...
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

Kubiak already said Siemien doesn't need to increase his size but just improve a little on strength. As others have said he isn't very small - nothing like Russell Wilson - increasing his strength would help him make it through the long grueling NFL season. Our o-line had to be the worst in the NFL and Trevor took a beating - I mean they were just awful in every way they could be.

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    I think he needs to gain about 10-15 pounds of mass

I think Siemian can stand to get a bit stronger, but nothing outrageous. One of his strengths I saw this year was his nimble movement in the pocket. I wouldn't want him to jeopardize his ability to do that. Hes still young, he can still physically develop a stronger physique but again Its not like he's a string bean out there.

I understand that Trevor's early on shoulder injury has affected his straighten training most.
    Brady was pretty scrawny.

Quote Originally Posted by False Start View Post
    I understand that Trevor's early on shoulder injury has affected his straighten training most.
    Brady was pretty scrawny.
    The pictures from Brady at the combine, way back when, show him with a dad body.

Just a picture I thought you guys would like to see with some interesting stat numbers and comparisons.

I took a lot of heat last summer for saying that Trevor could possibly be the next Joe Montana. Now I said that out of sarcasm but I think he has every bit of potential in the world to be a superstar himself if given the chance.

AnyWho in relation to the thread Trevor Simeon stand 6 foot three and weighs 220 pounds not exactly the little guy but he could probably stand to put at least 10 to 15 more pounds on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Just a picture I thought you guys would like to see with some interesting stat numbers and comparisons.

I took a lot of heat last summer for saying that Trevor could possibly be the next Joe Montana. Now I said that out of sarcasm but I think he has every bit of potential in the world to be a superstar himself if given the chance.

AnyWho in relation to the thread Trevor Simeon stand 6 foot three and weighs 220 pounds not exactly the little guy but he could probably stand to put at least 10 to 15 more pounds on.

The comparison is bad, football has changed a great deal from 1998 to 2016. In 1998 (Manning's rookie season) only 2 QBs passed for more than 4,000 yards. In 2001 (Brady's first season as a starter) there was also only 2 QBs that topped 4,000 yards. In 2016 there were 13 QBs who passed for more than 4,000 yards and 1 who topped 5,000 yards.

In 2016 Siemian was 23rd in the league in QB rating (of QBs that attempted 200 or more passes), In 1998 that would have been good enough for 12th, and in 2001 that would have been good enough for 7th.

This isn't meant to denigrate Siemian's performance or his future prospects in any way. It's simply meant to point out that Football has changed a great deal since the first two QBs were rookies, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The comparison is bad, football has changed a great deal from 1998 to 2016. In 1998 (Manning's rookie season) only 2 QBs passed for more than 4,000 yards. In 2001 (Brady's first season as a starter) there was also only 2 QBs that topped 4,000 yards. In 2016 there were 13 QBs who passed for more than 4,000 yards and 1 who topped 5,000 yards.

In 2016 Siemian was 23rd in the league in QB rating (of QBs that attempted 200 or more passes), In 1998 that would have been good enough for 12th, and in 2001 that would have been good enough for 7th.

This isn't meant to denigrate Siemian's performance or his future prospects in any way. It's simply meant to point out that Football has changed a great deal since the first two QBs were rookies, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.
    If we are going to compare eras, shouldn't we consider the overall size of players across the board has changed.

Every player position has added a few pounds and level of athleticism over the past 30 years since Elway entered the league. Elway was not considered "scrawny" in 1983. Siemian could be considered in the smaller half of of the QBs in the League. Getting stronger would help him. But it is not like he is undersized. He is a inch or two shorter and withing 10 lbs of the vast majority of QBs. His size is not what will hold him back or contribute to his success.

Just normal consistent workouts should make him stronger. If the shoulder surgery allows him to. But I am of the opinion that the more important change has to be for him to take less hits. Improve the oline, improve the playcalling and improve getting rid of the ball to avoid the hits.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 02-13-2017 at 07:24 AM.

I sat at the table next to Trevor at Sushi Den in pre-season last year. He was eating with Dillon Day and Max Garcia. Trevor doesn't even look like an average guy. He was wearing a t-shirt and he looks like he hasn't touched a weight in his life. Super, super skinny kid. I wouldn't be surprised pre-season if he was 6'3 205, if that. I think he definitely has some weight to put on.

Rather than size, I think the more important question is this: Is he a leader of men?

Maybe like.... 7"?

Does it hurt to build some muscle? No. Will it prevent him from injuries? Most likely not.