Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mecklenburg takes hard stance against Trevor Siemian

Karl Mecklenburg takes hard stance against Trevor Siemian

The Broncos legend is no fan of Siemian.
    -
    Former Denver Broncos linebacker and Ring of Fame member Karl Mecklenburg dropped a hot take on Trevor Siemian.

Taking to his Facebook account Friday, following the Broncos' hiring of offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, Mecklenburg strongly stated that Paxton Lynch -- not Siemian -- is Denver's quarterback of the future.

Mecklenburg cited the departures of former coach Gary Kubiak and ex-coordinator Rick Dennison as reason to move on from Siemian, who threw for 3,401 yards, 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in his first season as an NFL starter.

Here's what he wrote on Facebook in its entirety:
    -
    Mike McCoy is the new Broncos offensive coordinator. That hire would not have happened without indicating to John Elway how he plans to use Paxton Lynch. Sorry Trevor Siemian, but you're going to have a hard time winning your job back. Trevor's top supporters, Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison, are no longer on the team. They were attracted to his intelligence and late round ability to overcome. Kubiak's quarterback style was like Siemian's. He was a west coast style quarterback, making good decisions and throwing shorter passes. John Elway spent a first round draft choice on Paxton Lynch, and sees some of himself in the hard throwing athletic quarterback. John wanted to see Lynch in the final game against the Raiders, but once push came to shove Kubiak couldn't bring himself to bench Trevor when he was playing well. Don't be surprised if that was the last game Siemian starts for the Broncos, barring injury to Paxton Lynch. I hope they don't trade Siemian until Lynch is established as a quality NFL player.
    -
    -

In the Broncos' regular season finale, as Mecklenburg alluded, Kubiak was supposed to split reps between Siemian and Lynch, but the latter never saw the field. Siemian threw for two touchdowns in their 24-6 blowout of the Raiders.

With Kubiak no longer in charge, however, the quarterbacks are back to square one. New coach Vance Joseph, who's already declared an open competition for the job, is playing it right down the middle.

“The quarterback position is the key component to having a winning football team,” Joseph said at his introductory press conference, per the Denver Post. “With Trevor, it’s a guy that’s smart…Then you’ve got Paxton, who’s a big, tall slinger of the football and athletic.”

They’re so different. So hopefully we can build a system around both those guys and have them compete, and whoever is better, plays. That’s fair.”

Joseph is planning to employ an "attacking" offense that puts players in the best position to succeed. True to his word, he then hired a pair of great teachers -- McCoy and quarterback coach Bill Musgrave -- who could instill his vision.

Count Mecklenburg among those who can't see it with Siemian.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Don't be surprised if that was the last game Siemian starts for the Broncos,
    ~ Meck

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

I don't know how people expect Paxton Lynch to just wake up one day this offseason and be a better QB than Trevor Siemian. Or will Elway force Lynch as the starter no matter what? Because it looked like there is a wide gap between Siemian and Lynch. Yes, Lynch can get a lot better with another offseason and training camp, but so can Siemian. Let's not forget that Lynch struggled to learn Kubiak's playbook and now Mike McCoy is bringing a completely new system. Kubiak always hinted that Siemian was the smarter QB that can absorb more information faster. There is a good chance the gap between Siemian and Lynch will only get wider.

I am not one of Siemian's greatest supporters; I think he's "okay" and needs to get a lot better to make this team competitive. The problem is that Paxton Lynch is way behind. I want a QB that can throw for 4,000+ yards and 30+ touchdowns. The AFC West has become a very competitive division and the Broncos have fallen behind the Raiders and Chiefs. We can't go on hoping for a miracle going into games with only "adequate" or "average" QB play.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Am I missing something? Siemian isn't Aaron Rodgers or anything, but when he actually has time, he makes really good throws and good decisions. During the Texans/Patriots game last night, Osweiler threw a pass into the end zone where his guy was covered and it was an easy pick. Siemian doesn't do that. For a 7th round pick playing in his first full season as a starter with limited help on offense, he was fine. Idk why some people are so hard on him.

I wouldn't rule out Simian. I like the guy. Even going back to his rookie pre-season he reminded me a bit of Tony Romo. That being said, it is pretty clear all of the offseason offensive moves so far favor Lynch.

I don't think Trevor is the problem, but I also don't believe he is the solution. I think we have more or less seen his ceiling. Given the investment we have made in Lynch it is only a matter of time before we see him on the field. Elway clearly wants to see him play and the only way for him to get better is for him to get real game experience.

It wouldn't completely shock me if Trevor is moved this offseason and we bring in someone like Kellen Clemens, Matt Cassell, Case Keenum, or Brian Hoyer to be the veteran mentor.

Kizla said something similar... basically that Simian and Lynch both think they can be the guy, but that Simian can't teach Lynch to be a pro while he is learning it himself.

Really no idea why so many here are so sold on Siemian. I was pulling for him just like everyone else and even claimed he should be the starter during this past TC. However, he does not look like he has the skills to be a true NFL long term starter. He made plays here and there but so did a QB who will not be named. The longer the season went on, the more apparent it became to me. IMO, Siemian will NOT be the QB next season and very well may not be on the team. yes, i understand that would create another opening that needs filling but if they decide to go with paxton, Siemain may be cut just to give him piece of mind.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Really no idea why so many here are so sold on Siemian. I was pulling for him just like everyone else and even claimed he should be the starter during this past TC. However, he does not look like he has the skills to be a true NFL long term starter. He made plays here and there but so did a QB who will not be named. The longer the season went on, the more apparent it became to me. IMO, Siemian will NOT be the QB next season and very well may not be on the team. yes, i understand that would create another opening that needs filling but if they decide to go with paxton, Siemain may be cut just to give him piece of mind.
    This is pretty spot on in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
    Am I missing something? Siemian isn't Aaron Rodgers or anything, but when he actually has time, he makes really good throws and good decisions. During the Texans/Patriots game last night, Osweiler threw a pass into the end zone where his guy was covered and it was an easy pick. Siemian doesn't do that. For a 7th round pick playing in his first full season as a starter with limited help on offense, he was fine. Idk why some people are so hard on him.
    Disagree totally. I watched him all year. He made some very nice plays for us both regular and in the clutch. He also made some very bad ones. He had a lot of balls that should've been picked that defenders missed. His numbers could be a lot worse. It was his first year. But my thing is, I saw him making the same mistakes at the end of the year as the beginning of the year. I don't think he is the future. But I'm all for a competition and may the best man win.

This year will be a new offense for both qbs, While Trevor has more experience, I see more upside in Lynch. I would love to see Lynch take the bull by the horns this offseason and take the job this coming one. I would love to see a qb who reminds me of Elway taking over. We shall see.

I would really love to see a better line and run game to help our young qb develope regardless of which one it is.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Paxton Lynch was Tim Tebow like when he started this season and he showed he is no way ready to start in the NFL. Trevor Siemien is better at this point of his career and he laid a good foundation this season to build on going into the future. I would predict if it is Trevor and Paxton in the "open quarterback competition" that Trevor will very quickly win it and fans who have no idea will say Paxton is better.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Paxton Lynch was Tim Tebow like when he started this season and he showed he is no way ready to start in the NFL. Trevor Siemien is better at this point of his career and he laid a good foundation this season to build on going into the future. I would predict if it is Trevor and Paxton in the "open quarterback competition" that Trevor will very quickly win it and fans who have no idea will say Paxton is better.
    Or HOF worthy football players...
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    This is pretty spot on, but I do believe he remains on the roster unless a team offers us a stupid deal we can't refuse. Trevor is a capable QB, but the kind of guy you know has to be upgraded to take the next step.
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    Or HOF worthy football players...
    His opinion means no more than the next guy and this argument is always a hilarious one. Were you not one of Tim Tebows biggest fans on this board ? So you would of then took the opinions of actual Hall of Famers like Cris Carter as gospel then when he said that Tim Tebow shouldn't be in the NFL right ?

Paxton Lynch showed absolutely nothing this season to suggest that Trevor Siemian would as Karl Mecklenburg said "have a tough job winning his job back". Maybe all those concussions are affecting him and that "brain damage" he tried to sue the NFL for giving him is really affecting his thinking.

You guys are missing the point....
    the point is....
    NOT about what YOU think of TS or Paxton...
    -
    The point is...
    and Karl Mecklenburg made it succinctly....
    what does JOHN ELWAY think?
    -
    Meck wrote-
    Trevor's top supporters, Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison, are no longer on the team. They were attracted to his intelligence and late round ability to overcome. Kubiak's quarterback style was like Siemian's. He was a west coast style quarterback, making good decisions and throwing shorter passes. John Elway spent a first round draft choice on Paxton Lynch, and sees some of himself in the hard throwing athletic quarterback. John wanted to see Lynch in the final game against the Raiders, but once push came to shove Kubiak couldn't bring himself to bench Trevor
    -
    Point is... these coaching moves , by ELWAY,
    are OBVIOUSLY made to facilitate the development of Paxton...
    and to find out IF he can be the future or not... SOONER rather than LATER.
    Paxton is now only got 3 years left with the 5th year option.
    Elway aint gonna watch those years fritter away.
    -
    TS fans can't change reality.. and are FOOLING themselves..
    if they think Joseph, McCoy and Musgrave were brought in here to develop
    the status quo - Trevor Siemien.
    -
    I trust the opinion of Mecklenburg...
    and damn near every single radio analyst in Denver,
    MOST who are former Broncos.. are saying the same thing.
    -
    The story here.. is the power struggle between Elway and Kubiak...
    and the outcome...
    not what any given fan thinks about the 1st or 7th round QB picks.
    -
    Elway wants to KNOW.. one way or another.. and get it done.
    If Paxton is as bad as TS fans think he is...
    Elway wants to KNOW.. not guess.
    Kubiak got in the way of that "finding out".
    Kubiak is gone.
    -
    that is what this story is about.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

I'm not sure why it matters what Mecklenburg thinks? Joseph stated it clearly in the press conference, there will be an open battle in the offseason and training camp, the best QB will be the starter. It's pretty simple. Unless someone offers a decent draft pick for Siemian, I see no reason to cut him, let him stay, let him show his stuff, if he's not the future, and Lynch is, Lynch will hopefully win the job.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."